Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 06:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693228
  • Total Topics: 118523
  • Online Today: 676
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Toy cars  (Read 7286 times)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Toy cars
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
Got these done up quick, very basic weathering just to get them on the table.

(Why are my photos so bluish all the bloody time ?:?)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Re: Toy cars
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
very cool man!  What methods did you use?  I've been looking for some out of the box techniques.  What are those trucks at the bottom? 

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
very cool man!  What methods did you use?  I've been looking for some out of the box techniques.  What are those trucks at the bottom?  
I just sprayed them with mat varnish first, to give some key, then used a sponge to add rust and damage. I then gave it an all over wash of EvilEmpire Devlan mud, and whe that was dry I airbrushed the dust and dirt on progressively.

Edit
What are those trucks at the bottom? 
I don't know the Manufacturer, they were picked up at the local euro Store, they're Guardia Civil, mercedes I think
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:50:05 PM by hubbabubba »

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
Heh,  this thread comes in handy.
I'm thinking of downgrading some diecasts myself. good to read how someone manages to get very realistic results.
at least I got step 1 right since I already put a matt coating on a forklift  :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
Excellent job, CONGRATULATIONS!  :o
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:57 PM »
Lovely mate, I've got to get round to mine at some point, all look a little too clean for a zed apocalypse. Try part masking the windows as well, you'll get nice wiper sweeps if you do it right.

Cheers
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:53:36 AM »
You've done a good job of taking away the toy look.  Very nice for a quick job.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 01:10:16 AM »
Oh I just saw your comment about blueish shots.  What kind of camera are you using?  Color cast is usually a white balance issue.  If you can change your white balance try and set it for the light you are shooting with.  If your camera is set for incandescent light and your trying to shoot with daylight or flash your camera is adding blue and removing yellow because it thinks the light it too warm.  If your camera does this automatically there may be something fooling the sensor.  Also if the enviroment you are shooting in has a heavy color cast then that could be confusing an automatic setting.  I'm betting it's white balance.   

You can adjust this with most photo editing software even GIMP but if your camera is shooting jpeg you won't be able to make big adjustments.  If your using some kind of point and shoot and not a DSLR then you are likely shooting in jpeg.  The best thing you can do is consult your manual or search your camera model on line to see if it's an existing issue and to find out how to change your settings. 

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 01:27:37 AM »
Your camera data says your shooting a Nikon Coolpix 5100 on Manual settings with no flash so you should be able to set it for either daylight or shade or whatever lighting conditions you are in.  Also try and neutralize the surrounding color.  I noticed in one of your shots you had a bright blue something in the background.  Avoid auto white balance it's almost always wrong and will make different shots look different like a lot of the shots in your other post. 

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 02:02:03 PM »
Nice work.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
Nice weathering, especially on the yellow Unimog. The dust looks very opaque though, a bit like you attacked the models with grey primer. What colour is it in real life?
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »
Nice weathering, especially on the yellow Unimog. The dust looks very opaque though, a bit like you attacked the models with grey primer. What colour is it in real life?
Well, I sprayed with VMC sky grey, and then with VMC biege, so I can understand it loooking like primer.
@ironworker, thanks for taking the time to look at that. I did set the white balance myself, I used to use a white piece of paper but of late I've been using grey as i get less washed out photos, I use two lamps and a light box, I reckon I have to change the light setting ::)
I took some size comparison pics.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:17:11 PM »
I just sprayed them with mat varnish first, to give some key, then used a sponge to add rust and damage. I then gave it an all over wash of EvilEmpire Devlan mud, and whe that was dry I airbrushed the dust and dirt on progressively.

EditI don't know the Manufacturer, they were picked up at the local euro Store, they're Guardia Civil, mercedes I think

That's fantastic! I've been looking for a quick and easy way to  make toy cars more realistic. Yours look great - especially the 4x4 - and this could really help me get stuff painted up quickly! I have no airbrush, but I'm sure I could improvise to get a similar effect.

Thanks!  :D

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »
I have to say the more I see these the more I like them. I see now how the dusty look works well with your other paint jobs and your tabletop, well done!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
Finished a couple more bits and pieces including a container stacker and a couple of tracked dumpers, so I felt the urge to get the table out and take some new photos:D
I'm kinda happy where this is going, it's starting to look more and more like some kind of ad hock logistics area out in the middle of some god forsaken waste land. ;D
I still want to do some roads, an asphalt unloading area and may be a landing pad.
After that I might try some cork buildings a la Matakishi, perhaps some office space and crew quarters, nothing too ambitious though.