Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:53:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692350
  • Total Topics: 118453
  • Online Today: 471
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW spray gun, is it worth it?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
GW spray gun, is it worth it?
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Realized that my life would be easier if I could "airbrush" the foundation paints onto my 15mm infantry, the time it takes to paint those first 2 layers on those little buggers is a serious waste of time.

My problems are:

1) Lack of cash in general so going for a real airbrush is probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

2) I would not need it very often, probably never after painting my 15mm stuff.

3) I have no desire to invest money in a compressor and have no room for it in my house either.

So that silly looking GW spray gun starts to look like a quick fix - question is, is it actually worth it? Even if I'm not going to use it more then a few times I don't like to blow money on crap products. Has anyone tried GW's spraygun and have any feedback on how it performs?

Offline Geckilian

• Librarian
Re: GW spray gun, is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »
I have it and used it to basecoat 2 40k armies scorched brown. It works, providing you dilute to the correct level, and it's certainly quicker than brush. However it burns through compressed air cans like no tomorrow, and you really, really have to keep it clean or it'll get blocked, especially with foundation paints which have the higher pigment levels.

So, it's basically worth the price you pay for it. For a single army, I'd say it's worth it in time saved.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »
I also have one. You definitely need to: A) Keep it clean; B) Follow diluting instructions/levels on bottle;
GW in Canada stopped carrying the compressed air so you may need to find a place that sells the cans.
Definitely worth the money!

It's so fast, simple to use and store. You can use foundation, regular, metallic paints and ink washes no problems.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:00:58 PM »
I always keep 2 air cans on hand. When the one being used gets cold, the pressure decreases, so I'd switch cans.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
I always keep 2 air cans on hand. When the one being used gets cold, the pressure decreases, so I'd switch cans.

I have heard others doing this trick, and it seems to work. I would get it as a time saver, its nice to paint scenery with as well I suppose, or applying base coats for other minis? I use my airbrush for that, but this would work out in the same way.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »
I was thinking about getting a GW one but then started asking questions here.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=21363.msg260632#msg260632

In the end I went for a complete set off of ebay, including a compressor and two brushes.
I think it was about £80 all in.
I was put off the GW one because of the cost of the gas and how quickly it would be used up.
The cheap one I got seems to be working well.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »
How many cans of GW air will equal the purchase price of a decent economy compressor? IIRC at my local hobby shop, it would be 5 or 6 cans to equal a Badger or Aztek "entry-level" model...
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."