Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 05:21:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695920
  • Total Topics: 118728
  • Online Today: 345
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Sails season 4  (Read 2757 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Black Sails season 4
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:56 PM »
Just noticed and watched the first two episodes of season four.
Great stuff big battle to start
Anyone else watching?

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
    • http://www.crocodilegames.com
Re: Black Sails season 4
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
I'm watching too, great stuff so far.

When watched the first season I was a little underwhelmed with the guy playing Silver - not his acting, he just didn't fit my image of what a young Silver would be like. 

But... seeing the character's progression over the last 3 sessions, I stand corrected.  Pretty fascinating to watch.  I'm going to miss this show when it is over - I hope they'll come back a few years from now and make a Treasure Island miniseries with the same cast.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:06:03 PM »
Once again, that's come from nowhere. Didn't even know it was back. Amazon really are rubbish at flagging what's coming along/back. I will have to watch, as it's one of my favourites. Thanks for the tip off Colin  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »
Going to have to wait for the DVD, so it will be a long wait. ::)

No spoilers please in the meantime lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »
vongoosewink: " I hope they'll come back a few years from now and make a Treasure Island miniseries with the same cast."

An excellent idea!

I started Black Sails with fairly low expectations, and was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.  Luke Arnold as John Silver was the one that I had some initial concerns about as well, but I agree that watching his character develop has been one of many reasons I have continued to be a big fan of the show.

We may not have to wait so long for the DVD, Malamute, since this season is the last.  One of the reasons for the traditional better-part-of-a-year delay is so the previous season's DVD sales can generate momentum for this year's broadcast.  No need for that delay now, alas.

-Michael

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »
I bought the first series but couldn't get into it after the first couple of episodes.....I take I should try again?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »
I bought the first series but couldn't get into it after the first couple of episodes.....I take I should try again?
yes well worth the effort

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »

Definitely
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 11:24:14 PM »
I'll be the dissenting voice.and say no. Lots and lots.of conversation, like the political bits in the Phantom Menace.

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 11:27:56 PM »
I'll be the dissenting voice.and say no. Lots and lots.of conversation, like the political bits in the Phantom Menace.

Have to agree. Finding it very hard work.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 03:05:19 AM »
I suppose it depends on what you like.  There is a lot of conversation, as LeadAsbestos says.  The writers take their time developing a complex situation, and you have multiple factions with their own agendas - and allegiances to those factions are constantly shifting (personally, I love that sort of thing).  The action sequences are very well done when they appear, but they definitely do not dominate the show.  I find them all that much more effective because they are infrequent, but fairly brutal when they occur.  It has a strong cast, and the special effects with the ships are very well done.  So I quite like it.  But if you are not much of a fan of political intrigue and constantly-shifting alliances, you will not like it as well.  There is indeed a lot of conversation.

-Michael

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 03:20:02 AM »

It didn't grab me at first either. It's true that it is a bit heavy on the conversation though, which I enjoy in this show. The show starts picking up after episode 4 and has a really solid finale.

Loving season 4 so far. I feel like a ton has happened in the first two episodes. Can't wait to see what else is in store :)
Mike Tuñez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 03:26:26 AM »
I predict a lot of people are going to die!  My brother commented, early in the series, that it was unwise to become attached to anyone who wasn't around for Treasure Island.

-Michael

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »
So far so good.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
For those of us behind the curve - Series three has just started on the History Channel