Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693692
  • Total Topics: 118551
  • Online Today: 671
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Company: The Southwark Asylum  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
New Company: The Southwark Asylum
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »
The Southwark Asylum

To the good people of Old London, the Southwark Hospital has provided a haven of peace and physical restoration since the middle ages. Its charitable status grants both rich and poor access to its medicinal services. The post of Keeper Physician is currently held by Doctor Francis Kenneth Stein, a well regarded surgeon with a fascination for the new, if controversial, study of psychiatry.

The Hospital is maintained through public subscription and charitable donations by its wealthier clients. The wards are airy and clean, the beds changed regularly and the patients well cared for. In the late evening, after all the day workers and visitors have left, the patients never fail to fall into a deep slumber until awoken at the hour of five of the clock. The fact that chloroform gas is piped through the wards ensures that no-one hears the screams of agony and rage from below, noises hidden by the great steam pumps of the basement during the day.

In truth, no amount of legally acquired money could pay for the upkeep of such a costly institution, or the excavation and building of the terrible Asylum that lies beneath its basements. There amongst cells containing the most depraved and hideous of London’s outcasts, made so by disease and experimentation, lay the operating rooms and laboratories where the good Doctor practises his dreadful skills on such piteous creatures.

For heavy tolls, the Doctor is happy to incarcerate a beloved relative, especially one that stands in the way of a fortune or new wife. Their life is spent in a haze of opium until they are sufficiently forgotten to become a guinea pig for the Doctor’s latest genetic trials. His successes, imbued with increased speed, strength or endurance have helped fund the hospital through their work as mercenaries for Underworld gangs. Even failures have their use being often sold to Carnivale Freak Shows  while representatives of the Cirque de Morte regularly stop by the Hospital.

More recently, the Doctor has begun to organise his own criminal gang, realising the advantages of cutting out the middle man and hiring out their services directly to more discerning and wealthy clients.

The Staff

Dr Francis K Stein (58 Points)
PL 2+/FV +1/SV +1/SP +0/AR 8
Impervious, Inspirational, Leadership +2
Faraday Coat, Lightning Rod (Combined Arc Pistol and All Electric Truncheon)

Warden (20 Points)
PL 4+/FV +2/SV +0/SP +2/AR 8
Tough
Lined Coat, All Electric Truncheon
Matron (20 points)
PL 4+/FV +2/SV +0/SP +0/AR 8
Tough, Erudite Wit (Her voice even scares the hell out of the Inmates!)
Massive Hypodermic Lance (Rapier)

The Inmates

These are some of the good Doctor’s most popular products…

Bumper (13 Points)
PL 5+/FV +2/SV +0/SP +1/AR 8
Berserker
Straightjacket, Bludgeon (Club)
Your run of the mill recently admitted madman readymade for hire.

Serial Killer (23 Points)
PL 4+/FV +3/SV +0/SP +2/AR 7
Berserker, Stealth
Surgical Knife (Fighting Knife)
A Jack the Ripper wannabe, provided with his own surgical kit!

Brute (35 Points)
PL 3+/FV +3/SV +0/SP +0/AR 9
Numb, Berserker
Leather Apron, Cleaver (Great Axe)
A Gentle Giant who likes cute furry animals, but when roused…

Screamer (24 Points)
PL 5+/FV +0/SV +0/SP +2/AR 7
Impervious
Annoyingly high pitched scream; treat as Electrostatic Burst Generator
This sensitive soul gets riled by frenzied activity to the point when his vocal chords explode.

Smiling Assassin (39 Points)
PL 6+/FV +3/SV +0/SP +0/AR 8
Erudite Wit, Intuitive, Stealthy, Mesmerism
Lined Bodice, Fighting Knives
A sweet young lady with a seductive gaze that can melt any man’s heart…and if that doesn’t work, she’ll cut it out with a knife…

The Freak (40 Points)
PL 4+/FV +4/SV +0/SP +2/AR 9
Berserker, Fearless, Tough
Thick calloused hide, Claws and Teeth (Fighting Knives)
One of the Doctor’s failed experiments, more beast than man…

Available Upgrades and Cost

The Good Doctor may be given an Arc Generator at a cost of 20 points and/or an upgraded Lightning Rod (Arc Rifle/AE Truncheon) at +2 points

The Good Doctor may be given a Magneto-static projection Barrier at a cost of 4 points (requires Arc Generator)   

A Warden or Matron may be given a Faraday Coat at a cost of 5 points or a Faraday Shield at a cost of +1 point

The Matron may be given Serums at a cost of 20 points (As the Lĕgion Ĕtrangĕre)

A Maniac may exchange his Surgical Knife for an Axe (+1 points) or a Great Axe (+2 points)

A Bumper may be given the Tough Talent for 5 Points

A Screamer may be given a Lined Coat at a cost of 1 point

A Brute may be given a Heavy Leather Apron (Armour 9) at a cost of 2 points

Any Inmate may be given the Fanatic Talent at a cost of 5 points

Notes on Figures:

Doctor Stein: Chiltern Miniatures Frankenstein (not sure if he’s still available) but any mad scientist with an electro-rod thingummy should do!

Warden: I used the John Bull figure from Foundry, but I rather like the Crooked Dice ‘Eavies for these figures.

Matron: Graven Images, but nurses are available from many companies. 

Bumpers: Westwind Asylum Inmates.

Serial Killer: Any Jack the Ripper style figure

Brutes: Graven Images

Screamer: Shouting Figure. I used one of the Freaks from Westwind
Smiling Assassin: Can be any sweet or fragile looking lady or girl with a bloody knife (or axe).

Freak: Again I used one of the more extreme Freaks from Westwind.

Note: This range would easily present a use for any unused Malifaux figures! Their weirdness would be perfect for the Asylum.

Disclaimer

The Southwark Asylum list is not based on any one hospital. The content reflects images and myths from many horror films. The combatants are extreme parodies of the characters from these films and mythologies and do not claim any resemblance to the actual asylums that existed, which after Bedlam became for a while surprisingly enlightened and properly run establishments during the Victorian period.

Some inmates

Apologies for the lack of photos, I will provide more later...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:50:00 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: New Company: The Southwark Asylum
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
Excellent  lol

Haven't Lead Adventure just done a series of figures including a mad doctor and patients, oh yes here it is:
http://www.lead-adventure.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=200
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
Wow, what an excellent idea!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
TEHET, I've edited your post and removed the link to the free images web site as me and some other forum members are getting annnoying Adult pop-ups there. I've attached your photo to the post.

Please avoid to post any links to this special web site. If you want to post pictures, please use another web image service or just attach the images to your post or upload them to LAF Gallery (for free as well).

Nice bunch, btw, like them :)

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
To set the record straight and defend myself, all of these pictures were uploaded to Image Venue's site using the 'family safe' setting.
Adult Popups are certainly not something I have ever received or had problems with before in five years of posting and I have contacted Image Venue concerning this.

I have taken down all of the photos except for a few which I have reloaded using Imageshack which should not pose the same problem. If time and work allows I will reinstate all of them at some point.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:57:12 AM by TEHET »