Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 11:00:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Britsh zulu war flags?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Britsh zulu war flags?
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
Hallo, is there any place where I can download printable british zulu war flags?

I have been trying to search the forum and google, but I have not found anything.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Britsh zulu war flags?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:04:58 PM »
Good luck!

Personally, I'd go with the Empress flags!  :-*

The only other option I can think of is the generic Napoleonic ones from War Flag:

http://www.warflag.com/flags/napoleon/napbritain1.shtml

Though I'm sure you've already been over there...

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
I'll probably end up buying the Empress flags, they do look good.

Anyone got their measurements? So I can do the banner poles and order the flags when I have money again.

Offline Matthew83

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
Hi Jonas,

here are the measurements for the 24th flags.

1st Battalion's Queen's Colour: Presented 1866; Laid-up 1933. Measured 4'00" by 3'6".
The Colour was the Union [Flag] in the centre the Roman numerals XXIV ensigned with a Crown.

1st Battalion's Regimental Colour: Green (as per the facings).
In the centre on a patch the Roman numerals XXIV surrounded with a circle inscribed 2nd WARWICKSHIRE encircled with a Union wreath of Roses, Thistles & Shamrocks. Ensigned with a Crown. Below the central device the badge of the Sphinx superscribed EGYPT with a Laurel Wreath. In the first corner the Union [flag]. The distinctions in column on each side of the centre device being: CAPE OF GOOD HOPE; TALAVERA; FUENTES D'NOR; SALAMANCA; VITTORIA; PYRENEES; NIVELLE; ORTHES; PENSINSULA; PUNJAUB & CHILLIANWALLAH.

2nd Battalion's Queen's Colour; Presented 1859; Lost on the Field of Isandlwana 22nd January 1879. Measured 4'00" by 3'6".
The Colour was the Union [Flag] in the centre the Roman numerals XXIV. Ensigned with a Crown. Below the numerals on a scroll II BATTN.

2nd Battalion's Regimental Colour: Green (as per the facings).
In the centre on a patch the Roman numerals XXIV surrounded with a circle inscribed 2nd WARWICKSHIRE encircled with a Union wreath of Roses, Thistles & Shamrocks. Ensigned with a Crown. At the bow a scroll inscribed II BATTN. Below the centre the badge of the Sphinx superscribed EGYPT with a Laurel Wreath. In the first corner the Union [flag]. The distinctions in column on each side of the centre device being: CAPE OF GOOD HOPE; TALAVERA; FUENTES D'NOR; SALAMANCA; VITTORIA; PYRENEES; NIVELLE; ORTHES; PENSINSULA; PUNJAUB; CHILLIANWALLAH & GOOJERAT.

Courtesy of my fellow researchers at the zulu war talk forum.

Cheers

Matt
2012 Paint tally
6mm: 920 purchased 239 painted
15mm: 170 purchased 2 painted
20mm: 40  purchased 109 painted
28mm: 213 purchased 10 painted

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
Oh, thanks, but what I meant was if anyone had the measurements of the Empress zulu war flags, so I could know how long to make the banner poles to attach those. As so I could prepare the models while I wait to buy the flags.

:)

While this info is interesting I am not sure how to use it, since I don't know if I painted my models historically correct enough to know what regiment they are for and such.