Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:21:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693846
  • Total Topics: 118559
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for 16th-17th century woodland indians  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
Re: Looking for 16th-17th century woodland indians
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
'Black Robe'!

Black Robe: Gotcha. Much obliged

I can't recommend Joseph Boyden's 'The Orenda' enough. The best book I've read in a long time.

I must admit I picked up on your Orenda vibe from Twitter so have already made moves in that direction. ;o)

Is there a distinct look for both the Hurons and the Iroquois? Or are the two tribes very similar in appearance?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:18:47 PM by Captain Gamma »
"Morning!"

Offline Bob Murch

• Scientist
  • Honest purveyor of toys and such.
    • Pulp Figures
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
Those Eureka figs look pretty nice as well. I'll be placing an order for them myself.

Offline Bob Murch

• Scientist
  • Honest purveyor of toys and such.
    • Pulp Figures
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »
Is there a distinct look for both the Hurons and the Iroquois? Or are the two tribes very similar in appearance?

They were both Iroquoian peoples, part of the same language group and had similar cultural practices from what I've gathered. If anyone on the list does know of significant differences in appearance I would be pleased to hear about them. My main impression is that the warriors would cultivate their own distinctive look in order to be recognized and to intimidate.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:32 PM »
There's a couple of Ospreys that give a good overview of the look and customs of the tribes for this time period.

And thanks pijlie, I missed "mythological creatures" the first time round. Nice.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »
I don't plan on doing figs for 18th century French and Indian Wars. The period of my warriors will be pre-contact to, perhaps, very early contact with Europeans. In other words, the one warrior with a matchlock musket might almost be considered to have a magic weapon. There will be special heroic characters, dark magicians and I'm looking at some of the mythological creatures.

Bob Murch
www.pulpfigures.com

https://www.facebook.com/pulp.figures

These are fantastic figures. I really like your work and I would like to buy some of these “Indians”… If you were to derogate from your original plan, and sculpt some early european settlers types, I’ll buy some too! :D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
I don't plan on doing figs for 18th century French and Indian Wars. The period of my warriors will be pre-contact to, perhaps, very early contact with Europeans. In other words, the one warrior with a matchlock musket might almost be considered to have a magic weapon. There will be special heroic characters, dark magicians and I'm looking at some of the mythological creatures.

Bob Murch
www.pulpfigures.com

https://www.facebook.com/pulp.figures

These are very appealing even though I am trying to move everything possible to 15/6/3 mm sized figures.  Not sure how many I might buy though TBH, just a handful most likely.

Now, if you were to make 15/18 mm SouthWest Indians and Soldados de Cuera/Presidials for the time period of 1600s to the 1790s I would have to budget a lot more to afford them.  Just Saying...  :)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!