Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 06:03:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Warriors Fun (Being Thankful)  (Read 18017 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Fantasy Warriors Fun (Being Thankful)
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
Teshub and I, after 3 weeks of building and painting, got to play Fantasy Warriors for the first time this weekend! We had so much fun, we played one scenario Saturday night, one Sunday afternoon, and two that night!

The first battle is detailed more in depth on the blog, with more pics: http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/fantasy-warriors/first-fantasy-warriors-weekend/

Here are some shots of the first battle, a basic orc-against-human deathmatch. I was the Gautrian (human) faction, Teshub played as the orcs.

I need a better ruler.

Because I measured wrong and got my cavalry slaughtered.

The orcs managed to rout me and win the field.

It was an absolute blast! I'll be putting up more pix from the weekend, on the blog too so check there as well:
http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/fantasy-warriors/  will keep all the related info organized.

Comments? Critiques? Taunts in orcish? Feel free!
Jevenkah
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:34:57 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
Re: Fantasy Warriors Fun (First Weekend)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
Excellent batrep on the blog :D :D  Your husbands urogs did do some serious damage to your humans I see. I noticed your casualty markers and really like them as you don't skimp on the quality of the paint job :D :D

In hindsight you should have added a wager to the game-winner does dishes :D :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
A really fantastic looking game, with great minis, terrain and story telling.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:13 PM »
GREAT BATTLE REPORTS, PHOTOS, & MINIS! They really are a joy to read, see, & drool over...as a Old Guy drooling is a specialty.
I see the Orcs fell for your "lulling-them-into-a-false-sense-of-security" ploy...WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
Looks like a great game and you've got some nicely painted models there. Look forward to seeing more.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:03:33 AM »
The shots are great, they transmit you the full battle scale sensation.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:44:38 PM »
Thanks for all the positve energy everyone! I'm soaking it up especially since it's a cloudy, rainy day here.

The shots are great, they transmit you the full battle scale sensation.

Thanks, I was actually a bit afraid when we started that the table would be too big for my camera to capture the action. I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case.

Looks like a great game and you've got some nicely painted models there. Look forward to seeing more.

That's quite a complement, stone-cold-lead, as I've been knocked out by your paintings. I will bring some more action here to this thread soon. We had one of those fantastic weekends where we got lost in gaming and I'm still catching up on the RL stuff I flat-out ignored over the holiday!  8)

GREAT BATTLE REPORTS, PHOTOS, & MINIS! They really are a joy to read, see, & drool over...as a Old Guy drooling is a specialty.
I see the Orcs fell for your "lulling-them-into-a-false-sense-of-security" ploy...WELL DONE!

Your comments always make me smile, DeafNala! I enjoying being able to create these things that way more folks than I ever pictured are viewing. btw- if the drooling gets too much, put a towel over your keyboard. I'd hate to think I was responsible for damaging your equiptment.

A really fantastic looking game, with great minis, terrain and story telling.

Thanks dijit, your constructions, terrain and minis are inspiring as well. I love the forest you did a couple years back. (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=33340.15 pg 2 check it out!)  I could very easily follow your directions to mimic it one day.

I noticed your casualty markers and really like them as you don't skimp on the quality of the paint job :D :D

The dead deserve dignity too. The casualties get tons of attention when we play. It seems much more satisfying to place a crumpled up orc on the ground than simply knocking him over. This practice started when we received 3 sets of the same orcs and had to do something a little different with a few several of them. It is a little harder to take brand new figures and mess 'em up.

In hindsight you should have added a wager to the game...

Who says we didn't? ;)

Thanks all for the compliments on the storytelling as well. For myself, I need a good read with a report. And my grandmother's sister was a storyteller so I'd like to think there's something in the genes. (They were first-generation Italian-American and Aunt Goody always enjoyed telling us the creepy stories with walking dead/ghosts/great stuff like that to hear when I was about 6.)

I'll be getting some more of the scenarios we ran this weekend up soon, hopefully I won't keep you all waiting too long!
Jevenkah

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
I agree completely with the necessity for casualty markers. Particularly in wargames. Without them, we forget the cost of war and we also lose realism if they are neglected. In RPG's do you ever have Common Folk? It could be fun to have an Orc farmer and his family on a huge game board just for eye candy. 'Twould be a fun conversion as well.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
Really nice! looks very good, the whole table.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 04:17:18 AM »
...In RPG's do you ever have Common Folk? It could be fun to have an Orc farmer and his family on a huge game board just for eye candy...

Funny you should ask...there are a couple common folk very much like you describe in the last scenario we ran, "The Defense of Strek":

In this game, if the orcs had 2 turns at the longhouse, it was considered burned and they were victorious. I again played the humans and I'm afraid I'll have to keep you waiting til next week for the battle report of that one.  :'(

As far as human civvies, oh boy! Check out page 2, bottom panel of my Made With Minis comics  "Lords of Timlin #1" for a sampling of our human civilians. You can find them sprinkled throughout the comics.

We have orc settlements planned to make over summer vacation. We'll have our orc civilians out in force for that; we use Kev Adams sculpts as orclings, and have collected orc peasant women as well.

Really nice! looks very good, the whole table.

Thanks a bunch, Glad you liked it all!

Jevenkah

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:54:02 PM »
For our second scenario, Teshub again played the orcs, but this time he played as a raiding party of 10 urogs (like orcs, but the longer they live, the bigger they grow. So they're huge and worth the same as cavalry.) I played as Baron Austerchild, a local noble defending his lands who has caught these urogs between two of his cavalry units.

The fuller report is on the blog: http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/fantasy-warriors/fantasy-warriors-urogs-vs-heavy-cavalry/

I deploy my forces with confidence, having chosen a new ruler for this encounter.

My first cavalry unit charges his urogs, with devasting results.

But when my elite unit crashes his line, the humans slaughter the urogs, and keep this corner of Timlin safe for a little longer.

War is hell, but I'm starting to find war-gaming really fun. Hope you enjoyed,
Jevenkah
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:55:43 AM by Jevenkah »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 11:17:34 PM »
HOORAY for the Horse Soldiers! It looks WONDERFUL & sounds like GREAT FUN!

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:19:18 AM »
This was lots of fun!  My wife is proving to be a skilled Warchief!  :`
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
It certainly looks a good game!

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
When is your group getting together to play on this table?