Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scouts Out  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Scouts Out
« on: April 06, 2023, 09:24:48 PM »
   I recently purchased the new skirmish game Scouts Out and frankly was a bit underwhelmed (although the production values are high) re the mechanics.  It was reminiscent of the old Mike Blake, Steve Curtis, Ian Colwill series of games, and the Mike Peers products, but without the extreme detail.  Some aspects of the rules do need a bit of explaining (listed are Pistols,  SMGs, "Machine Pistols" - which I took to mean the Luger with snail magazine - and Shotguns, but then what would a "Trench Gun" be?).

Has anyone seen a size comparison shot of the Scouts Out figures next to other brands?  Some of the figures look interesting, but most of my figures are Great War or Brigade, and wouldn't want anything that towers over them. 

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Scouts Out
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 10:48:15 AM »
Sorry to hear that the rules are underwhelming. I'd assume a shotgun was a double barrelled example.and the trench gun was a pump action shotgun?

No idea on figure size I sm afraid. The STL files could probably be scaled somewhat to match a given height, although this wouldn't nessecarily mean that they matched the desired build/heft.
I am interested in the figures for use in A War Transformed as they are slightly pushing the historical envelope
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 04:29:21 PM »
The trench gun was the Winchester 1897, aka M97, six-shot pump action shotgun afaik
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 05:38:12 PM »
   I recently purchased the new skirmish game Scouts Out and frankly was a bit underwhelmed (although the production values are high) re the mechanics.  It was reminiscent of the old Mike Blake, Steve Curtis, Ian Colwill series of games, and the Mike Peers products, but without the extreme detail.  Some aspects of the rules do need a bit of explaining (listed are Pistols,  SMGs, "Machine Pistols" - which I took to mean the Luger with snail magazine - and Shotguns, but then what would a "Trench Gun" be?).

Has anyone seen a size comparison shot of the Scouts Out figures next to other brands?  Some of the figures look interesting, but most of my figures are Great War or Brigade, and wouldn't want anything that towers over them.

Yes. mcdougalldesigns3d.com, under my news section. Reference: German officer review

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 04:01:25 AM »
To clarify: if you follow what I said above, there are a couple size comparisons.

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 05:54:14 PM »
Simple, very playable rules but lacking in certain details.

Grenades were a huge factor in small unit tactics by midwar and were a central part of tactical doctrine by late war yet they are not addressed at all under the rules.

Then there is a "heavy sniper rifle", having long been a collector of Great War firearms I have never run across such an animal. All of the military sniping rifles were adaptations of the standard firearm of the nation and fired the same cartridge as was issued to the troops. Yes, certain officer s carried personal hunting rifles in all sorts of calibers, but this was a rarity of the highest order.

That said, good production values, love the ring binding that lays flat without breaking the binding. This has room for development into a good rules set.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 08:56:02 PM »
Given the artwork, I was wondering if the "heavy sniper rifle" was meant to be the gigantic German anti-tank rifle (given its intended use - to defeat armored vehicles and/or armored loop plates - using it to otherwise snipe would be a waste of its ammunition).

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 11:36:48 PM »
It does seem weird to not have grenades as part of the game.

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 06:02:46 AM »
Snipers also used large-calibre non-standard hunting rifles. The success of these weapons, particularly in penetrating armour plate used in loop holes, etc, was one of the drivers behind the T-Geweher anti-tank rifle.

Robert

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 10:28:03 PM »
So I suppose the old elephant gun could be pulled out to bang away at an armored loophole.

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 04:10:29 AM »
And 'modern' elephant guns were also used  ;) These were the .50 calibre Barrett M82 sniper rifles of that era.

Robert