Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Circle of Blood - Skirmish RPG-ish wargame  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Wampley

• Student
(Kickstarter) Circle of Blood - Skirmish RPG-ish wargame
« on: May 30, 2023, 05:49:47 AM »

Circle of Blood is a cooperative wargame, for two to four players, that uses 32mm miniatures and scaled scenery to recreate the tactical confrontations of one or more groups of adventurers, called guilds. The game also allows to play solo, for those adventurers who prefer to live the Gormalak experience by themselves. Or competitives one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/htpublishers/circle-of-blood

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: (Kickstarter) Circle of Blood - Skirmish RPG-ish wargame
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 01:42:50 PM »
I am surprised this game has not seen more hype, it is well funded already and the guys behind it are well known here in the Spanish gaming hobby.

The original Circle of Blood has a comprehensive solo/co-op enemy AI system which this new release has supposedly streamlined and made more situational.
At the Kickstarter price for the 2 physical + pdf books and play aides it is worth the price just for the AI, character advancement and campaign development/design rules alone even if you ignore the specifics of the game setting itself.

It is a skirmish rpg, designed specifically for figure gaming. Small figure count (3-5 figures per band), 3x3 or 4x4 table size. Unlike Rangers or Frostgrave all characters develop and advance in skill and ability which means it is more complex and character centric than that type of skirmish game.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 04:41:09 AM »
I am surprised this game has not seen more hype, it is well funded already and the guys behind it are well known here in the Spanish gaming hobby.

Lots of games and the language barrier are likely the challenges. Not played Circle of Blood, curious to try it out

Offline Wampley

• Student
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 05:50:12 AM »
Lots of games and the language barrier are likely the challenges. Not played Circle of Blood, curious to try it out

The game is avaliable in spanish and english. You will be able to choose via pledge manager

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 02:24:00 PM »

For me, I scrolled through the page but nothing grabbed me. Not the art, the photos, the premise...it feels a bit bland and didn't entice me to back it. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but that's how I experienced the KS page.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 04:09:14 PM »
The game is avaliable in spanish and english. You will be able to choose via pledge manager

No, I was thinking the creator language barrier. The game was created in Spanish, so likely has a big Spanish following, as where as an English critical mass hasn't happened yet

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 07:10:40 PM »
For me, I scrolled through the page but nothing grabbed me. Not the art, the photos, the premise...it feels a bit bland and didn't entice me to back it. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but that's how I experienced the KS page.

Totally fair comment, as was commented earlier there are a lot of games already in this market segment, finding some way of standing out is difficult. I backed it as I have played the original version, which was a limited run, self published game only in Spanish. One of the guys who used to game at the LFGS here had it. Personally I rate it a better game than Rangers of Shadowdeep or Iron & Honor and far superior to Frostgrave,  but definitely lacking  compared to a detailed skirmish game like Confrontation/Cadwallon or Mordheim (but then isn't everything ;) ).
The AI and the character advancement are it's strengths.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 04:36:54 AM »
Looks interesting.  I backed it - thanks for bringing it to my attention.
-Michael

P.S. And yes, Mordheim is still the game to beat.  No one has managed it yet!