Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mutant Jons Dungeon bash project (now with Drow 20/7/12)  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Re: Mutant Jons Dungeon bash project (first D&D miniatures)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
VERY WELL DONE! I have a fondness for Bug Bears anyway; AND you did TERRIFIC paint job on the Lads...cool color choices.

You HAVE to Love Bugbears!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47:42 PM »
Managed to paint up a few heros...the Companions of the Hall

from top to bottom we have

1) Drizzt Do'Urden the iconic Drow ranger - Not a bad representation IMO

2) Guenhwyvar Drizzt's magic panther - can't really go wrong with a black panther

3) Wulfgar the barbarian - not to bad but Ageis Fang (Wulfgar's magic warhammer) looks totally wrong to my eyes

4) Bruenor Battlehammer the Dwarf King - totally wrong for the early stories but probably a good representation of Bruenor as king of Mithril hall complete with missing eye.

5) Cattie-Brie Bruenors adopted human daughter - yuck horrible miniature with no facial detail doesn't fit my personal ideas of Cattie-Brie.

6) Regis (Rumblebelly) the Halfling - Seems rather well armoured for Regis...could be Regis as Regent of Mithril hall I suppose.

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »
As well as playing the D&D Legend of Drizzt boardgames I thought it might be nice to have some solo games using the old 2nd edition Battle system skirmish rules. Basically the Battle system skirmish rules are the AD&D roleplaying games combat system tailored for miniature use on a tabletop battlefield. Of course I needed a tabletop battlefield that was suitably D&D....

...I'm building up quite a collection of Drow from the D&D plastic miniatures and have just finished re-reading Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham. There are some very evocative descriptions of the underdark (the underground world where various races live) in that book so I decided to knock up a underdark board for some skirmishes/dungeon bashes.

I had a spare 4x2 foot MDF board so I stuck some embossed slate style sticky backed floor tiles I bought from a DIY shop. Handily these were a foot square so eight tiles covered the board perfectly with no extra work.

I made a few trail walls and rocky outcrops from pink foam carved to look suitably rock like. I then covered the pink foam structures with grey floor tile grout and sand which dries rock hard. I painted everything with a cheap mid grey undercoat emulation paint. When the grey paint was dry I painted streaks of black,red-brown and brown yellow craft paints with plenty of water to try and match the colours of the floor tiles. A final dry brush of cream emulsion and the effect wasn't half bad.

I wanted some crystal outcrops for my underdark. I looked at some commercial sets like Gale Force Nines which where very nice but a little to expensive for me. Instead I found a bag of broken and smoothed green glass (meant as decorative plant pot toppings) in my local garden centre for £2 I stuck a load of these to some old MDF round bases and treated them the same way as the walls for some nice cheap crystal outcrops.

Plenty of extra scenery to make yet stalagmites, underground water features, lava flows, lots of fungi and some chasms are all on the list plus maybe some underdark dwelling in the style of classic dungeons and more walls and outcrops like my trail ones.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 10:16:26 PM »
More nice stuff, and this:

Instead I found a bag of broken and smoothed green glass (meant as decorative plant pot toppings) in my local garden centre for £2

is a great idea! Consider it knicked  :D

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Very nice! :-*

I like the way you executed the cavern/ dungeon idea.

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
Thanks guys :) Hopefully up next be my little drow force painted.

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
A few more re-painted D&D miniatures. A rather random bunch of monsters part of a large job lot I got cheap of ebay.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
Nice job on the re-paints!! There are some actually pretty nice figures in those sets, great job finding the diamonds in the rough and polishing therm up.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
As always VERY COOL STUFF! The Troll, however, is a definite favorite...love that nose. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
Thanks guys :)

@ Chaos wolf there are some great miniatures among the D&D minis generally the bigger monsters are very nice some of the smaller (human size miniatures are a bit iffy (take the spined devil below -green thing with wings ???)

Here are a few more D&D re-paints this time some demons and devils.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mutant Jons Dungeon bash project (new pictures 18/07/12)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
Really cool !

I strongly advise to people interested into D&D minis to take a look on adventures system boxes : for the price, it's a nice way to find nice minis, without having to strip the paint : not speaking of the fact some prepainted d&d minis are really expensive these days.

Now that I've got plenty of time, I'll be able to go forward on my own projects, especially the 3d dungeon.

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
Really cool !

I strongly advise to people interested into D&D minis to take a look on adventures system boxes : for the price, it's a nice way to find nice minis, without having to strip the paint : not speaking of the fact some prepainted d&d minis are really expensive these days.

Now that I've got plenty of time, I'll be able to go forward on my own projects, especially the 3d dungeon.

I hear you on that I got loads of minis in the legend of Drizzt  game that cost a fortune badly pre- painted on ebay :?. Do you strip your pre-paints then Sunday hero? I just primed straight over the top of the old paint job on the ones I picked up cheap on ebay and then re-painted them.

I've also invested in the Dungeon command game (pre order on Amazon) looks like you get some good minis pretty cheap (although pre-painted  :-[) and the game looks like it might be good fun to.

Hope to see more of your project it was your thread that made me start this project. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:37:16 PM by Mutant Jon »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
I strip the paint on ALL my heroclix figures. The details you gain is unbelievable.

On D&D, my collection is coming from ravenloft and wrath of ashardalon gameboxes, so no need to strip the paint.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »
Yup, I see what you mean there; the spined devil is kinda meh. What are the three together in the first picture? I really like them, and can see a use for them.
Keep up the good work!

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »
Yup, I see what you mean there; the spined devil is kinda meh. What are the three together in the first picture? I really like them, and can see a use for them.
Keep up the good work!

The two big guys are Mezzodemons (in 2nd AD&D the were called Mezzoloths) and the little guy is another type of yugoloth but I can't rember his name right now ???