Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693833
  • Total Topics: 118559
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729580 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3675 on: August 25, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
I'd like to see the sprue first.

Don't know if I like all the swirly bits that suspend him in the air, however, if I could attach him solely with the long robes, that might make an interesting mod.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3676 on: August 26, 2015, 09:14:24 AM »
There's a post over at dice and brush (with picture, hence the lack of link) that GW are about to announce airbrush paints (in addition to the existing ForgeWorld ones).

While that's going to be good news for a lot of people, they're sticking with their standard bottles, rather than dropper bottles. Way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory  :? The ForgeWorld bottles look like Foundry ones, so perhaps they'll be re-bottled at some point to make them compliant with the new aesthetic.

There's no information yet on whose airbrushes they'll be branding, or whether they'll be single or double action, but I'm sure they won't be cheap

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3677 on: August 26, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
There's no information yet on whose airbrushes they'll be branding, or whether they'll be single or double action, but I'm sure they won't be cheap

The thing is, GW like to sell a "complete" set of equipment, but I honestly can't see them selling rebranded compressors - to me it just doesn't "fit" with anything else they release in terms of age-appropriate products. I suspect that's probably why their first spraygun had the compressed air cans instead.

It's possible that they can get a battery-powered or low-voltage pocket compressor to sell that would be "safer", but I expect that they won't be offering anything worthwhile regardless of price-point as a result.

This post isn't a moan BTW, I'm just pointing out that as what is essentially a toy/hobby company aimed at relatively young demographics, I don't see them selling something as potentially dangerous as a proper air compressor - a toy version of a compressor though, sure.

As for the airbrush paints sold in tiny pre-thinned quantities that come in flip-top lid bottles... Sigh. Well, they'll still sell anyway, and some of the colours may appeal to people.
In fact, I know of a few people who like hairy-brush-painting with airbrush paints anyway, so the Citadel offerings will be right up their street.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3678 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
In fact, I know of a few people who like hairy-brush-painting with airbrush paints anyway, so the Citadel offerings will be right up their street.

Right on. The Vallejo Air Metallics are particularly good for being used as brush-on paints, I've found.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3679 on: August 26, 2015, 05:34:22 PM »
Right on. The Vallejo Air Metallics are particularly good for being used as brush-on paints, I've found.

I am such a person, I'm also one of the weird ones who's happy to have these in pots rather than droppers,because I find its very easy to waist paint with a dropper and pots have lasted me just as long without any real upkeep.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3680 on: August 26, 2015, 08:59:02 PM »
I am such a person, I'm also one of the weird ones who's happy to have these in pots rather than droppers,because I find its very easy to waist paint with a dropper and pots have lasted me just as long without any real upkeep.

Fair enough, but for their intended purpose as airbrush paints... Droppers do make more sense IMO.

(And I still keep meaning to try some Vallejo airbrush metallic paints for regular brush-on purposes!  :P )

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3681 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »
Fair enough, but for their intended purpose as airbrush paints... Droppers do make more sense IMO.

(And I still keep meaning to try some Vallejo airbrush metallic paints for regular brush-on purposes!  :P )

Oh of course, for airbrushes droppers make much more sense, but this way gamew workshop can sell a special hobby pipette hewn from raw plastic and topped with skulls.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #3682 on: August 27, 2015, 03:37:03 AM »
Are they trying to parody themselves? I can't even tell any more.

It sure seems like it.  I know I am probably late to the party on this one but I looked at their store the other day and noticed the new Age of Sigmar fortress sets.  WHO  has the money for those?!?  I really wonder who their market is anymore.  In this day and age parents aren't going to splurge on some massive set when there are so many easier cheaper and still great options a mouseclick away.  And how many GW fanboys do you know with really deep pockets?

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #3683 on: August 27, 2015, 04:36:26 AM »
There are people who pay nearly 1.000 € for an iPhone... maybe those guys have (utterly spoiled) kids? lol

And that new hero is basically a rip off the Nagash from yesteryear. GW is plagiarizing itself. ::)
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #3684 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:50 AM »

Their aluminum is the shiniest you can get in regular Acrylic in any line of hobby paints. You can get shinier paint, but to do so you need to upgrade to non-water-based paints (like Vallejo's Liquid Gold series).

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #3685 on: August 27, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »
I have that aluminium. It is great. Also their metallic medium is awesome. The metallic medium can even be used on its own for a super bright highllight on top of the aluminium. Or mixed with any colour to get funny coloured metals.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #3686 on: August 27, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
Oh neat, I didn't know that! I'll have to have a look at that one.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3687 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:13 PM »
Been a lot of talk about the AoS rules and it appears that some (if not most) are playing with an incomplete rule set.

Accordingly to the "infamous" 4 page rule set this is how you begin a game:

First you should decide in which of the seven Mortal Realms the battle will take place. For example, you might decide that your battle will take place in the Realm of Fire. Sometimes you’ll need to know this in order to use certain abilities. If you can’t agree on the realm, roll a dice, and whoever rolls highest decides.

Seems most folks are skipping right over this, tossing their minis on the table and fighting it out based on the basic rule set and the war scrolls.

Now, for example, if you decided on playing in the Relm of Fire, there are terrain features which can/should be included on the battlefield such as lava geysers. When a lava geyser blows, minis who are within a certain range of them take damage.

It appears that the Realm Rules are found in the book "Warhammer Age of Sigmar." I haven't picked this book up yet, but come September when I will make my next order, I will get it and report back.

Anyway, when you are reading a BatRep from an AoS battle, check to see that they are using "all the rules" and not just the 4 page basic set. My feeling is that folks who want to bash the game certainly aren't doing so and an unknowing public is being given the wrong impression of how the game is supposed to be played.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3688 on: August 27, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
I have that aluminium. It is great. Also their metallic medium is awesome. The metallic medium can even be used on its own for a super bright highllight on top of the aluminium. Or mixed with any colour to get funny coloured metals.

Can you give a link to those... especially the metallic medium?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3689 on: August 27, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »
That's changed my opinion of AoS, Ray. But I gotta be honest: not for the better.