Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693826
  • Total Topics: 118557
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729525 times)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3690 on: August 27, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
So goes the only saving grace of the worst set of rules for miniature gaming ever released, namely that they were free  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3691 on: August 27, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »
Well, I'm sure the Realm rules are optional.

However, I kinda like the idea of each Realm having it's own quirks which, if used, can effect the outcome of a game. It is very much in line with their normal terrain rules and game modifiers.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3692 on: August 27, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
Rules for the new terrain are free online.

As for the realm rules, i have a feeling there's a table to roll against in the starter set.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3693 on: August 28, 2015, 03:05:27 AM »
Okay, so it appears that the Realm rules are like the fluff, slowly evolving.

The Realm of Fire rules are in the first book and the Realm of Metal and Life are in the second.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3694 on: August 28, 2015, 08:55:38 AM »
Can you give a link to those... especially the metallic medium?

Airbrush sets here - http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-air/family/17

Metallic medium is described here - http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-paints/auxiliary-products/3

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3695 on: August 28, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
Re: special terrain / Realm rules

I don't really see how these make up for a feeble set of core rules mechanics.

My experience of games with lots of interactive terrain/themed incidental rules combined with tricky objectives is that there is a real danger of one of the following happening:

1) The players are so busy dealing with terrain and objectives that there is relatively low interaction with each other's forces.

2) One player just ignores the terrain and objectives and just goes for tabling the opponent instead (assuming that it's possible to win that way).

What this results in is a game that whilst fluffy, requires such minimal interaction between players that it's hardly a social game any more. Instead, each player focuses on doing their own thing and may as well be playing a Solo game.

I do like themed "ambient rules", and terrain rules, and objectives. But I don't like it when these take over from the point of playing a wargame with another human being - I may as well play a computer game or a Euro board game for much less investment and effort for the alternative.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3696 on: August 28, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »

One of the things in 8th ed that made people stay away in droves, wasn't it? I've already mentioned my misgivings about terrain pieces sold on the back of the special rules they come with, too.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3697 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
One of the things in 8th ed that made people stay away in droves, wasn't it? I've already mentioned my misgivings about terrain pieces sold on the back of the special rules they come with, too.

Yeah... I think many players objected to how the terrain "special rules" basically interfered with what they wanted to do with their armies. I know many people just therefore ignored the "special rules".

For example, some patch of forest might be benign, hurt your models, or buff them; there was either no way of knowing what in advance, and when you discovered them with a unit, it might affect the game in some pivotal unplanned way.

A little dramatic maybe, but do that for all terrain on the table, and realise that players are moving big blocks of troops, and... Well I can see their point really - terrain becomes a risk you can avoid, so you avoid it, so it plays no part in the game.

In a skirmish game of perhaps 30 models a side, the rules could have been more fun rather than a nuisance though. That said, the random effects needed a bit more balancing, and perhaps should have used a 2D6 to determine (to give you a probability curve).

I'd definitely be interested to see that the Realm Rules are like, but I honestly can't see how they will make the game more interesting.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3698 on: August 28, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

I guess if you want mass battles they won't.

However, AoS is a skirmish scenario driven game.

Here is a BatRep which takes place in the Realm of Fire (using the lava geysers from the Age of Sigmar Book):

Seems like it was fun to me and the folks at TableTopMinis having been producing tons of videos on the games they have played. They are worth the time invested in watching them, I think.

Also it appears that if you aren't willing to get into and learn the fluff of the game by reading the books (and playing the scenarios and campaigns they provide), you probably aren't going to like AoS because your only perspective is from the free rules only and not from what is actually happening in the game universe.

Dunno... I still have to get my hands on the first book like I said before and then I will have a better idea.

@zemjw - thanks for the links!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3699 on: August 28, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
You're welcome.

I should have added that I've never had much success with their metallic medium. I'm not sure why, but the results just never look right to me. I prefer the results I get from mixing FW perlescent silver acrylic ink with the colour I want to "metalise"

However, for a couple of quid, it's worth picking up a bottle and experimenting

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3700 on: August 28, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »

Also it appears that if you aren't willing to get into and learn the fluff of the game by reading the books (and playing the scenarios and campaigns they provide), you probably aren't going to like AoS because your only perspective is from the free rules only and not from what is actually happening in the game universe....

I have to admit Id like to read the books ( is it the archaon, glotkin and stuff before the end of the old world happened that you mean?) but at that high a price and discontinuation of them hiking prices even further up I dont see myself being able to. This would explain how the old world has been destroyed and what has happened race wise and what not but I still believe it should just be a stand alone game/expansion instead of a replacement.

.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #3701 on: August 29, 2015, 02:49:57 AM »
I should have added that I've never had much success with their metallic medium. I'm not sure why, but the results just never look right to me. I prefer the results I get from mixing FW perlescent silver acrylic ink with the colour I want to "metalise"

Some mixes just don't work (specially with red).

I've found that an easy way to create metallic colours is painting with the color you want, and then applying a wash over it of metallic medium dilluted with glazing medium.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3702 on: August 29, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
Also it appears that if you aren't willing to get into and learn the fluff of the game by reading the books (and playing the scenarios and campaigns they provide), you probably aren't going to like AoS because your only perspective is from the free rules only and not from what is actually happening in the game universe.

Indeed. That's my issue with the whole AoS thing. The fluff and aesthetic is everything I hate about over-the-top goofy fantasy, so I could never get into it and therefore could never get the most out of the game, which could be solid fun otherwise.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3703 on: August 29, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »
Just had a peek at this celestant-prime. I don't wanna jinx it, but I think they might have reached maximum silliness.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #3704 on: August 29, 2015, 11:15:51 AM »
Just had a peek at this celestant-prime. I don't wanna jinx it, but I think they might have reached maximum silliness.