Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693962
  • Total Topics: 118576
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730168 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6375 on: April 25, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »
They are definitely going a long way to reclaim a lot of lost goodwill. I don't feel so stubborn about purchasing from them.

A while ago I was gonna post that I still wouldn't buy a whole lot of them. It still expensive as hell.
But I might buy a box of grey knights for SWA.
And maybe some more space marine scouts, just to have a team.
And I allways fancied a squad of battle sisters.
If 8th edition is actually fun, I might finally get that deathstrike missile for my guard.
I'd allso like that Space marine flying troop transport...

Ooooooooooooooh, crap......
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6376 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
Good for GW I say.

We've all been longing for this sort of interaction, and for them to listen to their customers - now that it seems they'd openly decided to give it a go, I can only hope this turns out to be very successful for them. :)

And refunding obsolete army books bought in the last two months...? That *has* to be a first for GW!  o_o

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #6377 on: April 25, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »
Whelp GW finally done it, yep that's right they won my interest back heh.

Not saying I'll dive right into this new 40k Edition as both Bolt Action/Konflik '47 and Beyond the Gates of Antares take up my playing time but I will be watching what happens and if time/funds allow dip my toe again.

Good times and the rage quitters selling their snizzle on Ebay should save my wallet too :)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6378 on: April 25, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
This is the first time in a couple of editions that makes me wonder what the rules will be like. I might get one of my old armies from the shelve ring up an old gaming buddy and give it a go.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6379 on: April 25, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
A while ago I was gonna post that I still wouldn't buy a whole lot of them. It still expensive as hell.
But I might buy a box of grey knights for SWA.
And maybe some more space marine scouts, just to have a team.
And I allways fancied a squad of battle sisters.
If 8th edition is actually fun, I might finally get that deathstrike missile for my guard.
I'd allso like that Space marine flying troop transport...

Ooooooooooooooh, crap......
lol
That's a long list

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6380 on: April 25, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
No kidding :P

I think it would be better for me if their rules continue to suck :D

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6381 on: April 25, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »

lol

GW just can't win, can they?  ;D

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6382 on: April 25, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »

lol

True!

They started getting my intereset again with the Mechanicus release, it blew my mind that they were finally doing that. Then GS Cults... just crazy.
I am very certain I will be buying into 8th.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #6383 on: April 25, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »
Well GW have won this time for me ... I've played Warhammer Fantasy since the Skaven came out (1986?), but have never been tempted by 40k. However, with Shadow War Armageddon, and now version 8, I'm actually looking at making my first ever purchases. Just wish the skaven were there too (and yes I know about Mantic's space skaven).

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #6384 on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
Here's some news on the 8th Edition, from the live Q&A:

-Any weapon can hurt anything.
-Armour values are gone, but Vehicles get weaker as they get damaged.

Granted I'm not well versed on actual 40k rules but wouldn't the above mean that Imperial Guard's going to lasgun the living daylights
out of absolutely anything by sheer amount of lasguns firing?

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6385 on: April 25, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »
Granted I'm not well versed on actual 40k rules but wouldn't the above mean that Imperial Guard's going to lasgun the living daylights

There are multiple ways this could be avoided, IIRC at some point you could have "to hit" scores of 7+ which required a roll of 6 followed by a roll of 4+ they might implement that. You could do the same but in groupings of a squad's dice. Alternatively they might just increase the point value of the guards a bit.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6386 on: April 25, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »

I imagine this will be similar to how vehicles and larger units currently work in AoS.

Whilst it's theoretically possible for a lasgun to would the landraider, it will be needing solid 6's across the board, and while yes you could kill it in one turn with 300 lasgun shots, The actual in game chance of that is pretty small.
It's similar to the steam tank i run with my empire army, It CAN be killed by goblin arrows if enough goblins shoot at it, But it's yet to happen and it's more likely that a squad of goblins might try to bum rush it before getting blown to oblivion by cannons and guns.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6387 on: April 25, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
@ Fiona White:

There's so many (fairly simple) ways this could be done, that I'm sure that we'll probably see a few examples rather than just one.

For instance, an IG squad could have a rule called "weight of fire" that gives them a modest chance of killing something big if there's enough of them firing at it together. However, perhaps that rule needs all ten models alive, and not moving, and still requires them to roll  six to hit and six to wound.

Or perhaps, it could be done by an Officer issuing an order like "Target the weak points" that gives one squad within "x" range an improved chance to damage something big if they hit it.

Maybe there will be a rule will be on especially tough models, perhaps allowing them to re-roll their fixed saves against low-damage attacks. If those models have lots of wounds as well, then it's going to take more than sixty lasguns to down one!

Ultimately, the move to a system where anything *could* damage anything else is to help alleviate the feeling that every list a player makes (and therefore the models they build) has to be tailored against every enemy; instead, all-comers lists are much more possible, and this helps encourage players actually finish and paint their armies.

For the sake of 4 pages of free rules, plus the free unit entries, I would suggest having a look on the GW website at their Age of Sigmar stuff to see how aspects of 40k8E might look. It's not a super in-depth game that's going to win awards for its brilliance, nor is it a replacement for a mass-battle game, but it is a perfectly acceptable light game for about 20-60 models each side, and it's not like you have to buy the rules or spend loads of time learning them (4 pages!). ;)

Anyway, just some thoughts! :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6388 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
While I'm not personally keen on everything hurting everything (removes a tactical element) they stated on an FAQ on Facebook that it would take...a "lot" of fire from Guardsman to destroy or hinder something like a Land Raider.  I can see an easy way around this, but I'll patiently wait to see how it turns out.  Being free, I'll check it out - but overall I'm not likely to dive in playing 40K again.

On a plus, they stated no shooting in/out of combat...so that's one of my biggest negatives out of the way.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6389 on: April 25, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
If you use your imagination then on a sci fi battlefield everything being able to hurt everything makes sense. It might not be that a lasgun is piercing a tank's armour, but it could've got into the viewing port, pinged off the crewman's face and then ricocheted into a vital component. Weirder things have happened...

I think it's important for every model to actually be even the littlest bit useful all the time, otherwise you go back to the whole obsolete unit no one buys or uses thing. Which is crap, and is how it's been for too long. List building shouldn't be part of the tactical element.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:05:33 PM by Gibby »