Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693848
  • Total Topics: 118559
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729679 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2490 on: January 03, 2015, 08:17:14 PM »
Why can't Skaven just be small scuttling, sewer-dwellers again? When did someone decide they were better off being man-sized monsters towing enormous monuments around with them?

Waste of a great idea.
what they said.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2491 on: January 03, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »
TBH I actually like the skaven more than ever, to the point of owning two or three sourcebooks for them, including that one that's just copypasted jpegs of different clan colours. ;D I think Seb Perbett's redesign of the line has been great, for the most part. In particular the rat ogres from the 8th ed starter, despite my usual dislike of inflated, cartoony minis, have never been better (they're at least posed more reasonably than all the walk-like-an-egyptian ones before) and I think it's one of GW's biggest mistakes (among many) that they were never put on general release.

I agree with the 'monuments' quip, though. I don't know if the screaming bell and warp lightning cannon needed to be blown up to crazy proportions, and turned into dual kits with the big censer and the catapult, with the doomwheel and immense hell pit abomination on top of that. (I remember when the Necromunda zombie giant rat was considered a big piece of kit) I have a bunch of Seb Perbett plastics hoarded away for Mayhem and others (if I didn't have so many Nappies to paint for 2015, I might've made more of a start) and I'd like to add a screaming bell at least, but I think I'd look for the last metal one first.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2492 on: January 03, 2015, 09:32:53 PM »
I think Seb Perbett's redesign of the line has been great, for the most part. In particular the rat ogres from the 8th ed starter, despite my usual dislike of inflated, cartoony minis, have never been better (they're at least posed more reasonably than all the walk-like-an-egyptian ones before) and I think it's one of GW's biggest mistakes (among many) that they were never put on general release.

And there is the problem. As you say, what they did, previously, was/is nice,  an improvement and welcome addition with nice sculpts available, that made them look ratty and quite good.

But the increasing need they seem to have to upscale and make bigger. Its not improving any of the race/army options.

I don't actually mind the apocalypso stuff, distruction of the fantasy world etc to spice things up (everyone seems to be doing a bit of that anyway right now so hey why not GW join that party), but the releases of giant action man size stuff is in  no way adding to it in a truly constructive gaming way - they are not really suitable for tabletop game - too big and to much of a loss when bits come off.

Most likely I assume its to make them different so there are supposedly no other proxy models from other manufacturers to use as stand-ins... but.

I have a box of skaven joy I hope to get to this year, just waiting...

I'd like to add a screaming bell at least, but I think I'd look for the last metal one first.

That is exactly the only thing I need to add to it as well. Mainly because the newer one is ok, I like its dynamism and animation yes, but still would look to the older metal in preference, it just seems to fit better.

No rush, plenty of lead left in the mountain yet.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2493 on: January 04, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
What attracted me to the Skaven was the Brett Ewins 'Kaleb Daark' comic strip where they first made their appearance. They appeared to 'swarm' over their enemies to bring them down. I understand it would probably be prohibitively awkward to recreate this with models and base sizes, but something along the lines of the other WH swarms would have been a good idea, perhaps with half a dozen small Skaven models per 40x40 base.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:58:11 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #2494 on: January 04, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
"Dreadaxe thirst for you"? Seriously?  :?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:06:04 PM by Pijlie »
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2495 on: January 04, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
Well ... it's a comic and I was a kid.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2496 on: January 04, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
Where was that published, Cubs? That's how the skaven should be, a swarm.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2497 on: January 04, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »
That comic is so very, very GW.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2498 on: January 04, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
Great. Now I can never again read a comic book without hearing every single character as Brian Blessed in my mind....  :( ;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2499 on: January 04, 2015, 07:21:19 PM »
Where was that published, Cubs? That's how the skaven should be, a swarm.

I think it was the Citadel Chronicle (?) sometime in the 80's - it coincided with the launch of the Skaven as a new Warhammer race. If you Google 'Kaleb Daark' you'll find plenty of images.

This page probably shows them even better - little halfling sized creatures swarming over man-sized victims.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2500 on: January 04, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
Thanksthanks Cubs  :D

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #2501 on: January 04, 2015, 11:00:31 PM »
Spent 17 pounds on a halfling yesterday, and it is not even new. Even 2nd hand GW demands high prices (for certain models)  lol
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2502 on: January 05, 2015, 12:48:10 AM »
By coinkidink I've been reading Orlygg's blog post on that subject.

http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/miniature-prices-dont-believe-hype.html?m=1

Fine sentiments, but I wonder if any of the, ah - scalpers? - will pay attention. I've got a few old citadel halflings squirreled away myself, bought off ebay some time ago, but I didn't pay much more than £2 for any one. I'd buy more but the ebay prices have gone, as the man says, higher than what I'm willing to pay.

By the way, how do you pronounce it? Skay-ven or Skah-ven (as in 'scavenger')?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:51:24 AM by Vermis »

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #2503 on: January 05, 2015, 12:57:58 AM »
Yes, it is an excellent Blog post. I wanted the model however for Mordheim right now, and this was the cheapest I could find, some have it for sale in the higher 20's. For a lead fishing weight with a face, sheesh. Luckily the rest of my needs are long term and a lot less priority :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2504 on: January 05, 2015, 01:14:13 AM »
Nice read that blogpost.
I pronounce it skay ven. Don't know the correct pronunciation.