Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693833
  • Total Topics: 118559
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729580 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3375 on: July 08, 2015, 07:04:29 PM »
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3376 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
Boy, I'm dim.  I only just worked out that "stormcast" wasn't some new resin replacing finecast.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #3377 on: July 09, 2015, 02:43:54 AM »
Just to deviate from the serious conversation,I wonder what the ooruks will look like ?

I've got to ask - what're those, some kind of uruk-hai wannabes?

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3378 on: July 09, 2015, 02:47:57 AM »
Ordered and looking forward to release on the 11th.   ;D

Not so sure why folks are so centered on the rules. Rules are easily modified, rewritten or simply thrown in the bin. Pretty sure I could play a game without any rules and still have a good time... just making it up as I go.

I remember a long time ago when I found a box of plastic beaky Space Marines in my local hobby store... must have been close to 40 years now... I bought the minis because I really was struck by the look of the minis. The minis always come first for me and these minis look, at least to me, very cool and yes even unique.

Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Sorry for interrupting... please continue bashing.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3379 on: July 09, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »
After having a game of Age of Sigmar now, i dont think the rules are all that bad. Yes, they're not super complex, or super tactical, but to be honest I prefer these over other staple fantasy rules like Song of Blades and Heroes. It isnt strick IgoUgo, like the old warhammer, but a hyrib of it and alternative activation. You move all your own troops, but the combat resolution is alternative, so you have to choose which units you want to fight first, giving a tactical element - can this unit afford to be attacked before I activate it or not?
Also, the whole thing of havibg very free army lists, and nothing to say you cant mix different armies, gives the feeling of playing Realms of Chaos - perhaps the highwater mark of WFB. Not too bad all in all.

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #3380 on: July 09, 2015, 07:32:46 AM »
$250 for the starter if you are Southern Hemisphere.

I'm getting it from Black Cultist for AU$150 if that helps?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3381 on: July 09, 2015, 08:20:54 AM »
Mightyape have it Tor $210, I'll be passing though and saving my money for other things. Thanks though. I'll look up that store. :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3382 on: July 09, 2015, 09:41:44 AM »
Ta! The older plastic DE warriors are a bit funky, on par with high elf spears and bows I think, but I'm fairly impressed with the latest dreadspear/dreadsword/darkshard set. Same as most of the current DE line.

I found nearly all the new plastic DE to my liking, except for the Hydra/Kharybdiss (which looks chunky and awkward).

The chariot looks better with two wheels in my eyes, though that's easy enough to do yourself.

The Darkshards have giant index fingers too, but that's mostly noticeable in photos (since on the table, the angle of viewing always hides that - even at close range!).

The Warlocks (and by extension, the armoured horses) were disappointing, but like the chariot they are an easy fix and still a cool enough unit. In general though, the Dark Riders are such a massive improvement over the 5E models that I'm willing to forgive them the armoured horses.

My greater sadness is that there were no new Shades (as I would have been happy to trade the £12 Fleetmaster model -which I liked- for a £12 box of 5nr Shades).

Anyway, the old plastics were truly awful, and the metals (Fitz's sculpts that I liked) had been transferred to Failcast. I therefore regard the new DE plastics as an all-round success (even despite a few niggles).

Ok, I think it's safe to say that the guys at Mantic not only have a great sense of humor, but they win the internet today!

Aww, bless Mantic for making my morning!  lol

And the statue matches their sculpting style.  lol lol
"Strike the FGM pose while rolling to hit and re-roll your lowest dice"... it was on a war scroll, I'm sure of it. Possibly one of the 'Age of Stigma' ones that cover the 'old factions'.  ;)

Lol, I love you guys!  lol

Not so sure why folks are so centered on the rules. Rules are easily modified, rewritten or simply thrown in the bin. Pretty sure I could play a game without any rules and still have a good time... just making it up as I go.

Because AoS is a game, not a box of models. And because AoS is a total departure from WHFB (and therefore, a total departure from the armies that many people have spent a huge amount of time, effort, and cost in creating).

Also, pretty sure I used to play miniature games with no rules when I was a young lad - "pew-pew!" etc. I confess that actually having rules though does make the game more fun when playing with others, and the models/modelling is just as much fun either way.

Can't wait to get my hands on them.
[...]

Sorry for interrupting... please continue bashing.

You know, you are allowed to have an opinion without feeling you have to apologise!  o_o   lol

I've got to ask - what're those, some kind of uruk-hai wannabes?

Like Aelfs and Duardin, they are new GW IP-protected name for fantasy races that we've known for years! ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3383 on: July 09, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »

Sure, but the 'GW Hobby' relies on the fact that you should be able to pick up your figures, take them anywhere in the world and sit down and play with someone else - who is using exactly the same set of rules... and is probably exploiting the same loopholes, min/maxing of his army and other skullduggery, in the same way as you are.

If you don't buy into that, then sure there is nothing forcing you to use them, or from changing them, or even binning them.

I do see a fair bit of pessimism over them though, which ranges from 'glass half-empty' to 'someone stole my glass'... I suspect that once it comes out things won't appear so bad. The scenarios which will balance forces off against each other have yet to be revealed and they 'should' make all the difference to the current weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.
;) 

Offline redeaston

• Bookworm
« Reply #3384 on: July 09, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »
My 10 year old son loves AOS and I suspect that that’s the sort of person they are aiming for. He played a quick game in store and got the free mini on white dwarf. As soon as we got home he built it, painted it and then made up his own scenario with him against some plague bearers trying to get to a warp gate thingy. He is saving up his pocket money to buy the starter as soon as he can afford it.

Personally I think the rules are OK. They needed to do something and it certainly reduces the cost (and time) of picking the game up. Rules are free and a couple of boxes of figures will set you up. I can see my son and me playing this quite a bit as we can fit in quick games after tea but before bed etc. I am heading toward KOW for larger battles though.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3385 on: July 09, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
My 10 year old son loves AOS and I suspect that that’s the sort of person they are aiming for. He played a quick game in store and got the free mini on white dwarf. As soon as we got home he built it, painted it and then made up his own scenario with him against some plague bearers trying to get to a warp gate thingy. He is saving up his pocket money to buy the starter as soon as he can afford it.

Personally I think the rules are OK. They needed to do something and it certainly reduces the cost (and time) of picking the game up. Rules are free and a couple of boxes of figures will set you up. I can see my son and me playing this quite a bit as we can fit in quick games after tea but before bed etc. I am heading toward KOW for larger battles though.

Well said  :)

Think you pretty much nailed the demographic and target customer - new - 10 years + age, with your wallet...

Glad your both enjoying it, and hope you continue to get your money's worth from it.

I will return to my normal grumpy self shortly  :D

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3386 on: July 09, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
They needed to do something and it certainly reduces the cost (and time) of picking the game up. Rules are free and a couple of boxes of figures will set you up.

That will set you up to play a skirmish game, which you can game cheaply anyway. A box of Perry plastics, a Lion Rampant rulebook - £30 and you can make two forces from it.

Low cost new system is a complete myth. While the starter set is cheap and good value, the usual prices apply to any additions you might want to make. Prices for next weeks releases are doing the rounds - £20 for a hero, £30 for a box of 5 terminators liberators, £45 for a book, £25 for a dice shaker. Your son must get massive amounts of pocket money if you think that is cheap.

I wish you many happy hours of gaming with your kid(s), but really, GW is not a cheap way to do it.

Offline redeaston

• Bookworm
« Reply #3387 on: July 09, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »
I agree that there are much cheaper ways of doing it.

However he can go down to the shop to play pickup games, some of his friends have some GW stuff (he already has some brets and I have a load of old stuff), he enjoys the story line and the way the figures look. With online discounts the starter is less than £60 and gives him a load of stuff to be going on with. I know the new stuff won’t be on ebay/trade groups straight away but they will be fairly soon which makes things cheaper going forward. I think it compares well to most other hobbies e.g. he would rather have a box of figures than a new computer game.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3388 on: July 09, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
I think it compares well to most other hobbies e.g. he would rather have a box of figures than a new computer game.

Um, get onto Steam or GOG for example, and you can have lot of games for £60!  :o

Still, pick-up games at the shop is the exact reason GW stores exist in the first place! Can't blame anyone for wanting that ease of finding a game really. :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3389 on: July 09, 2015, 08:21:25 PM »
I wish you many happy hours of gaming with your kid(s), but really, GW is not a cheap way to do it.

It never has been really and kids being kids look at the price tag last, if they look at all. If his friends are into GW and the shop is welcoming, then LR won't even make the radar... granted that it is the better game of the two.

I know things are different in most clubs now, but when I first started at the local club I was consigned into a separate room with the D&Drs and fantasy gamers without even being asked what I was into... and that's Pre-mass GW.

If I'd had lads instead of girls, I would have preferred blowing £60 on AoS and have him mixing with other kids, rather than holed up in his room on a console/PC... it would give me more time on it!
 ;)