Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The 'will I ever get finished' thread.  (Read 2633 times)

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
The 'will I ever get finished' thread.
« on: April 13, 2022, 10:03:54 AM »
Hi all, for the last 7 or 8 years I've been exclusively playing 40K but my gaming group is murmuring about WFB so this thread will be to document any progress in that area. My main armies are skaven, wood elves and lizardmen. Also posssibly making appearances are chaos, dark elves and empire. Started using citadel contrast paints and this will hopefully see more progress than my arthriticly paced rate of completion. So any comments or critique will be welcome. First up are some recently finished skaven.

Some Warlock Engineers

From the other angle.

Ye Olde Sreaminge Belle

From another angle

and another

Ikit Claw
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The 'will I ever get finished' thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 10:04:41 AM »
looking good.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 07:36:03 PM »
Honestly, if you struggle to finish models...just move to skirmish gaming.  I think most "army" games are a case of eyes being bigger than one's stomach.  Why not play some fantasy skirmish - and then do something like Warmaster in 10mm for your army games?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »
Honestly, if you struggle to finish models...just move to skirmish gaming.  I think most "army" games are a case of eyes being bigger than one's stomach.  Why not play some fantasy skirmish - and then do something like Warmaster in 10mm for your army games?

I do enjoy a bit of skirmish gaming but I cut my teeth on WFB so to me that's proper fantasy gaming. As far as my eyes being bigger than my belly (as my mum used to say) I would honestly believe that is most gamers with any sort of disposable income. Changing to 10mm gaming seems to be something that wouldn't solve anything and more than likely lead to loads more unpainted models due to the smaller models and my old eyes.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:55:16 PM »
I do enjoy a bit of skirmish gaming but I cut my teeth on WFB so to me that's proper fantasy gaming. As far as my eyes being bigger than my belly (as my mum used to say) I would honestly believe that is most gamers with any sort of disposable income. Changing to 10mm gaming seems to be something that wouldn't solve anything and more than likely lead to loads more unpainted models due to the smaller models and my old eyes.

that's my take on it too, tbh.

I can't even manage skirmish gaming for 'reasons', so shouldn't really be giving advice - but you've made a great start and have got a good 'look' going with the contrast paints.

if you keep chipping away you'll have usable sized forces sooner than you think, perhaps.

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 12:34:46 PM »
A bit more progress, a while back (several years) I tried dabbling with greenstuff. As with a lot of the stuff I do, I got distracted with some other shiny thing. I have just gotten back to finish them. Apologies for some of the pics as I found photo graphing very low models a bit of a mission.

Some giant rats.

Another couple.

horse Rat amalgum

Some stabby rats

Two bodies are better than one!

A Wood Elf Battle Standard Bearer.

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 12:23:09 AM »
Some more progress, this time some Wood Elves. I had a game of WFB 8th edition a couple of weeks ago and I proxied some Waywatchers, they were the stars of the show, and as a reward I went about painting them;

These three are them most recent Waywatchers (I think) and are pretty nice sculpts, I will probably use them as Waystalkers, and if I want to be that guy, I will use all three in one game.

Some older sculpts, I think these might be recasts as their swords needed a lot of work, but as eBay is full of that stuff, I only have myself to blame if they are.

These five make up the unit of 10.

some more with a more autumnal scheme.

The final group to finish the second unit.

For those interested in the game that got all the Waywatcher's finished here is the battle; Battle of the Innocuous forest of Peril.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 05:20:44 PM »
Very nice Sylvan Elves. Bad luck tho, now they’ve been painted it is ruled that they will perform pooryl on their next game (that’s how it goes for me usually).

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 07:55:13 PM »
Love the original Skaven doomwheel beautifully painted.

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 08:03:36 PM »
Very nice Sylvan Elves. Bad luck tho, now they’ve been painted it is ruled that they will perform pooryl on their next game (that’s how it goes for me usually).
Sadly that is very true.  :-[

Love the original Skaven doomwheel beautifully painted.
Thanks very much.

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 09:36:36 AM »
Got some more bits done, mainly skaven.

Censer bearers.

Plague monks

Some more.

A few more.

Lastly some Dryads. I mainly used contrast paints to speed up the process.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 12:47:15 PM »
I do like those Skaven.

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 07:06:00 PM »
I do like those Skaven.

Cheers, the old metal models are very characterful if you can get past the dog faces of some of the Plague monks.