Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694108
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question re: new Khador Winter Guard plastics  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Sumatran Rat Monkey

• Assistant
  • Dead. Sexy.
Question re: new Khador Winter Guard plastics
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »
I'm debating the suitability of PP's upcoming plastic (or "plastic," as the case may be) Khador Winter Guard rifles for an ongoing project of mine.  I don't do the Hor-machine thing, though, and don't even own any of their figures yet*, so I'm pretty much in the dark on how Privateer's plastic boxed sets usually work.

I know the "Winter Guard Infantry" plastic box was due to drop this past Wednesday, so I'm hoping someone here has at least seen it, as I'm assuming the set that I actually want (the Rifles box of plastics) will either share sprues/parts, or at least break down similarly.

So, first things first- since it's probably too much to hope that PP has switched to polystyrene, can I assume they're cast from the "restic" material that I've read is PP's go-to nonmetal material?

How do the figures break down on the sprue, or tab, or whatever the parts are cast on?  Is it the traditional "separate heads, separate arms (w/ or w/out integral weapons), either separate torsos and legs or one piece torso+legs (Leg-os? HAHAHAhem.  Sorry.), assorted accessories," or are they divvied up into funky, irregular chunks that'll turn converting them into WWI-themed retro sci-fi troops into tilting at windmills?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

- Monk

* Well, I own one figure- a bigass "Gnarlhorn Satyr Heavy Warbeast" thing.  I couldn't resist, when I saw it on sale- that's a whole lotta metal for $17!
...I ate all the rest, and now I've gotta eat you...

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
Re: Question re: new Khador Winter Guard plastics
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
They have never been on a sprue when you get them, they will have rather clever tabs that insert into holes acting as pins or have level glue joints. The arms and head will most likely be separate if mimicking things in the past. 
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »
Thier plastic is spun cast, so they will be in exatly the same number of parts as the Metal ones... actually that's possibly not true as they might have tried to make the models multi-purpose in which case there may be more seperate parts.

I'd wait for an un-boxing vid myself.

Offline Sumatran Rat Monkey

• Assistant
  • Dead. Sexy.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys, and good plan, Maxxev, re: waiting for an unboxing video of the new sculpts/sets.

Just as an aside, I recognize your avatar- I remember coming across your Touren conversion way back in the day, while searching for inspiration, since I fiddle about with sci-fying beastmen as another little project of mine.

Good stuff, Maxxev- remember you having some quality work then, and glancing at your blog now, I see the standards have only risen.  Bookmarked!

- Monk

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
I still prefer the metal. I search it out where i can. I think i got a couple of the plastics just recently. Only because said models were never made in metal.
Glad that my Menoth are still in their pure form as well as my backups the Rhulic. :-)

Grimm