Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:48:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WIP: Antenociti 28mm 'Superhawk' dropship: crew-chief...  (Read 15439 times)

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:38:20 PM by dwartist »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: WIP: Antenociti 28mm 'Superhawk' dropship
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »
Cool! 8)

That looks suspiciously like the papercraft UD12 Chickenhawk from www.toposolitario.com. I've wanted to do a plasticard version of that great model (at 140% with interior) for years now.

Did Antenociti licence the model? As it would be perfect for Infinity... ;)

+++EDIT+++ Dagdangit! That'll teach me to not follow provided links before posting. Your website confirms all my assumptions; it is the UD12, and it is for Infinity. Shoot me full of holes and call me red...  ::)

I wanted to enlarge it somewhat though (hence the 140%, which is the conversion form A4 to A3 paper  ;) ), as I originally wanted to use it as an Avenger gunship for X-Com (old UFO game), and I needed to fit 12 minis in the hold.

The ship looks absolutely awesome (and I can't wait for your paintjob :D ), but might end up looking a tad smallish...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:13:38 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »
Did Antenociti licence the model? As it would be perfect for Infinity... ;)

Yes, along with Topo's other vehicles I believe.

It does look nice!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:03 PM »
Will he also do a version without detailed interior? I'd glue it closed anyway, so would be great to save some money.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 12:30:27 AM »
That does look a tad small, but a really cool design nonetheless.  I can't wait to see what Dwartist does with it.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 04:12:32 PM »
Looks lovely.
      I think it's spot on for 28mm, it's just that we're used to oversized vehicles.

Anyone know what this will be going for?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 05:26:34 AM »
I also think it's a hair on the smaller side, but perhaps it will look different with a figure for scale, especially given how fiddly Infinity miniatures are.

It's certainly great design and beautiful modelling.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 06:12:53 AM »
Looks lovely.
      I think it's spot on for 28mm, it's just that we're used to oversized vehicles.

Anyone know what this will be going for?

I disagree a little. I think we are used to seeing oversized AFVs and APCs but very very undersized aircraft. This is mostly to do with costs of materials I think. Take something like a modern Cargo plane or military transport (fixed or rotary wing) and compare that to scale dropships VTOLs etc. I know the wingspan makes modern craft seem huge and similar wings are abolished to the backwaters of plausible physics in miniature-world, but on the whole even the body/cabin sizes are way out.  Very very few model drop ships or transports are capable of carrying the very (overly large) ground vehicles that are often sold in the same range. I've long looked for a viable vehicle transport/drop ship range.

Having said all that I think this looks like a very well crafted and cast model as with everything I've had from antenociti's. However I dislike the aesthetic of the design. Your view may vary.

Im looking forward to seeing your colouring in on this dwartist. I offer to make the arduous 25 mile trek up to Liverpool to sharpen your crayons for you too!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:16:14 AM by Brandlin »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 06:59:13 AM »
My buddy Gary42 built the paper version of the UD12 many years ago and it served us well for a looong time. A fine looking craft.

Always thought this model deserved to be taken to the next level.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
I disagree a little. I think we are used to seeing oversized AFVs and APCs but very very undersized aircraft. This is mostly to do with costs of materials I think. Take something like a modern Cargo plane or military transport (fixed or rotary wing) and compare that to scale dropships VTOLs etc. I know the wingspan makes modern craft seem huge and similar wings are abolished to the backwaters of plausible physics in miniature-world, but on the whole even the body/cabin sizes are way out.  Very very few model drop ships or transports are capable of carrying the very (overly large) ground vehicles that are often sold in the same range. I've long looked for a viable vehicle transport/drop ship range.

Having said all that I think this looks like a very well crafted and cast model as with everything I've had from antenociti's. However I dislike the aesthetic of the design. Your view may vary.

Im looking forward to seeing your colouring in on this dwartist. I offer to make the arduous 25 mile trek up to Liverpool to sharpen your crayons for you too!

I guess it depends on the intended interpretation of "dropship". This looks like it could hold a squad of figures, similarly to a troop helicopter - a sci-fi Huey, for instance. It certainly could nto hold a vehicle and doesn't look like that's even close. Is this meant as a dropship in the (slightly more) correct sense of the word, or is this really just a quick troop insertion vehicle?

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »
'Dropship' is the word I used very loosely to describe the craft. I'm not sure if that description is used for the original card model or Jed's interpretation. I don't have any Infinity figures for a scale pic but there is one with a Studio McVey Samaritan which I think might be close in size and, yes, plenty of head room even on a base (awful photo, sorry - I'll take a few better ones this evening). I had planned on 'crewing' the 'not' dropship with Hasslefree's lovely sci-fi troopers but I've just received an order of Concord troops and Interceptors from Warlord Games (and the plastic kit of the C3M4 Combat Drone - more than pleasantly surprised at these! Cracking models and figures!) and they look really good with the 'Superhawk'. No, you couldn't fit larger vehicles in the hold but I reckon you could fit three (*edit - two; just tried them for size!) of the Interceptors in there!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:41:24 PM by dwartist »

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
...and here's the nearly complete interior (floor panels and screens still to do)

http://dwartist.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/wip-antenociti-28mm-superhawk-dropship_13.html

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:18:18 PM by dwartist »

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 11:30:15 PM »
Ah,  without bases, the figs look much better in there.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 08:20:46 AM »
Wow! That's brilliant! :o I love the screens best! How do you do the writing on he inside of the doors? Is that decals?