Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 06:04:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10469
  • Latest: liath
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692508
  • Total Topics: 118467
  • Online Today: 618
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LotR battle report: Rescue at the eaves of Fangorn  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: LotR battle report: Rescue at the eaves of Fangorn
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
I agree that the LotR minis are probably among the finest GW has produced in the last years. Of course there are some exceptions but overall I'm still very much impressed by the miniatures. The Mines of Moria starter set is a real bargain. The plastics of Aragorn and Boromir are really worth a closer look, so is the troll. It's a wonderful set.

For me the key to any miniature game is size. As I am unwilling to paint mass armies adn easily get bored if I have to move more than 20 miniatures on the battlefield the original LotR skirmish game is perfect for me. However, if you are a fan of mass combat, it can easily be done as well. As I said, I prefer the smaller scaled scenarios.

Anyway, thanks again for your nice feedbacks.

Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
Thanks for giving us some lovely LotR goodness! I guess many of us got into this fantasy toy soldiers lark because we read LotR as kids (I know I did, loving LotR and then finding a game called D&D where I could pretend to be a Dwarf Warrior and battle goblins was the beginning of my downfall)...

... you can use proxies for the more expensive metal elite figures ... I mix in historical figs too - my Easterling Kataphracts are, uh, Byzantine Kataphraktoi and with the plastics on the go it's cheap to do a head swap.

Because the LotR mini are much closer to true 1:72 than the WH ranges, there are many many ranges out there that are comapatible. Looking in my cupboard, my Emhar 9th-10th Viking Warriors look pretty good as warriors of Rohan... but Momataro is right - there are metric kilotonnes of old LotR plastics on the market.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »
I agree that the LotR minis are probably among the finest GW has produced in the last years. Of course there are some exceptions but overall I'm still very much impressed by the miniatures. The Mines of Moria starter set is a real bargain. The plastics of Aragorn and Boromir are really worth a closer look, so is the troll. It's a wonderful set.

For me the key to any miniature game is size. As I am unwilling to paint mass armies adn easily get bored if I have to move more than 20 miniatures on the battlefield the original LotR skirmish game is perfect for me. However, if you are a fan of mass combat, it can easily be done as well. As I said, I prefer the smaller scaled scenarios.

Anyway, thanks again for your nice feedbacks.

You hit the nail right on the head too. They've always been the nicest models GW puts out. Just being able to capture the likeness of the characters from the films as well as they do was the #1 reason I collected them years ago. I always felt everything was so spot on with each and every model.

It's too bad I got out before they went to more plastics tho, because when I collected and played it, the only plastics were the old starter set models, and aside from them, those same models were available in plastic separately, but that's about it. That Mines of Moria set almost had me jumping back into it.

Offline Orgel

• Student
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
Moin Doomhippie!

Nice BR and very cool Mini's. LotR is unknown to me. Not the Films, indeed the Tabeltop. I hope we can play it.

LG
die Orgel