Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693950
  • Total Topics: 118572
  • Online Today: 622
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shrubberies?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Shrubberies?
« on: February 28, 2024, 08:52:00 AM »
Hey,

I am slowly building up my Old West terrain and it's getting better and better. But the thing I am really missing is shrubs! Whenever I search for images of the old west (or when my MacOs screensaver fires up) I see a lot of green shrubs dotting the landscape. So not only cacti, but all kinds of cool bushes.
What kind of model plants do you use for these bushes? I hope to find something that looks cool, can be placed as individual bushes (so you can vary where you place them) and is not too fragile. Any tips?
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Shrubberies?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 10:49:50 AM »

I use patches of rubberised horse hair which has been flocked accordingly and put on small bases.

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 11:33:21 AM »
Oooh, those are excellent! I'll see if I can find these locally. Thanks!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 04:58:19 PM »
Rubberized horse hair?
We love a weird hobby, when you think about it.  Now I have to go look for some.

-Michael

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 07:30:08 PM »
For sagebrush I use grey lichen that I then coat the top with Elmer's clear glue and then dust with a sage (pale gray-green) flock that I made.  I mount each piece to a 3/4 inch washer with a brown gravel base highlighted to a dusty tan and add some bunch grass, fallen log (grey and sun bleached), or other bits.

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 11:00:18 PM »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 12:28:06 PM »
Rubberized horsehair is my go to also.  Furnace filters will work but the horse hair tends to wear better.  To get the flocking or sawdust to stick have a look at clear plastidip.  It is a clear spray on rubber and it adheres and wears better than normal glues. 

Whenever I search for images of the old west (or when my MacOs screensaver fires up) I see a lot of green shrubs dotting the landscape. So not only cacti, but all kinds of cool bushes.

I grew up in Arizona and , depending on the terrain, there are more bushes than cactus.  If you search for images of Creosote bushes, sage, Palo Verde Trees and mesquite trees it will help you get some ideas.  Those bushes and trees will be a good fit from Texas to California. 

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 12:30:16 PM by snitcythedog »
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 01:47:20 PM »
Thanks man! That's excellent tips on the plants. And for the flock I think I will use latex rubber. I have a big bottle of the stuff and it works well to stick and seal the stuff.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 02:31:38 PM »
I create my own from floral stems collected from big box craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann, etc.), plus some commercially available saguaros.

Sorry for bad lighting, this was the old game room before I upgraded the ceiling lights…

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 06:51:26 PM »
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 02:42:04 PM »
I went with Malamute's idea of rubberised horsehair and that worked perfectly. Gave me exactly what I wanted! You can find the results in this thread:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=143728.msg1834768#msg1834768

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 10:55:59 AM »
It's all coming together very nicely, exactly the right atmosphere.