Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 11:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693262
  • Total Topics: 118526
  • Online Today: 676
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Woodbine Kiwis at Gallipoli  (Read 2689 times)

Offline tim1966

• Assistant
    • The Dugout
Woodbine Kiwis at Gallipoli
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
Very nice figures - really enjoyed painting these.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Woodbine Kiwis at Gallipoli
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »
Lovely work Tim.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »
Nice looking figures, great paint and the scrubby bases really finish them of properly!

Anyone know how Woodbine match up with other lines of figures? Especially Brigade Games, Great War (GWM) and Copplestone, as I already have WW1 figures from those three companies...

The seperate-head idea has obvious appeal, but how fiddly is it? Is the neck-socket deep enough to give a good solid join, or are heads going to roll with even slightly rough handling on the tabletop?

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »
Those really are very well painted indeed
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline tim1966

• Assistant
    • The Dugout
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments.

Anyone know how Woodbine match up with other lines of figures? Especially Brigade Games, Great War (GWM) and Copplestone, as I already have WW1 figures from those three companies...

The seperate-head idea has obvious appeal, but how fiddly is it? Is the neck-socket deep enough to give a good solid join, or are heads going to roll with even slightly rough handling on the tabletop?
I believe they work very well with Copplestone but I haven't seen them with other figures myself. As for the separate heads - not all of them have them (these boys didn't) so I can't comment on how well they fit - not very useful answers I'm afraid!  :?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
Lovely work. The button counter in me can't help but note that the lemon squeezer style didn't come into widespread use until after Gallipoli but hey, short of putting a rugby ball in there hands and painting a lost, bewildered childlike look on their faces there's no better way of marking them as kiwis.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:37:46 PM »
Yes yes and thrice yes
Jolly good paintjob
Having seen all manufacturers of late at a friend's house they are very similar in size and build to Brigade and Great War Minis
I reckon Copplestone are just a tad more thickset but only under close inspection and certainly not worth worrying about
Perhaps Plynkes can clarify
Keep up the good work
Good moaning

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
All brands work together, but for Copplestone. Copplestone needs to be in separate units by themselves. I've had in the past all of them in my colletion.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 10:13:25 AM »
All brands work together, but for Copplestone. Copplestone needs to be in separate units by themselves. I

Copplestone British are freaks of nature; my limited experience is that the rest of the WW1/BoB line from Copplestone is significantly smaller - Copplestone Red and White Russians fit in nicely with Brigade's Reds and Whites, for example, to the point where without looking at websites, I can't tell which of the two companies my Reds are from.

Good to know the Woodbine stuff is a good match with most of the rest of the WW1 lines out there!

Offline tim1966

• Assistant
    • The Dugout
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
Lovely work. The button counter in me can't help but note that the lemon squeezer style didn't come into widespread use until after Gallipoli but hey, short of putting a rugby ball in there hands and painting a lost, bewildered childlike look on their faces there's no better way of marking them as kiwis.

lol

I reserched the lemon squeezers a bit (well I bought the Osprey book on ANZACs) and I believe they were originally worn by the Wellington regiment of Col Malone at Gallipoli and as you rightly say it didn't come into widespread use until afterwards - officially Jan 1916 if I remember correctly. I have seen photos of Wellington regiment wearing all manner of headgear at Gallipoli too. These boys all have the lemon squeezer because they came in a pack - I think to make an authentic section I would use caps, Wolseleys and bush hats. I suppose thats the beauty of Gallipoli - have a base of caps (lots of types too) and Wolseleys for Brits and then add bush hats for Aussies and then a few lemon squeezers and you have Kiwis.

Interesting to read about the match up of manufacturers - I only have a few Wargames Foundry that I haven't looked at side by side with the Woodbines. Over at Steve Deans forum someone mention the Copplestones and Woodbines work together well... I suppose the best way is buy a few and see if you think they will look ok.

Thanks again for everyones interest and commnents  :)