Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693885
  • Total Topics: 118563
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Night Goblins Anyone?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
Night Goblins Anyone?
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
So yeah I have a lot of mostly painted 4th Edition box set goblins and Night Goblins.  I need to base 54 for this week's campaign game.  I grabbed a spare one and the materials I'd kinda bought for the project and whipped up one.  I'm not sold on it 100% but I don't really want to buy more basing material when I already have enough to do the army...

Here is the pic:

Here is the link to the materials and paints and what not I used including some bonus shots of terrain and movement trays I've also been working on this afternoon:
http://musksminiatures.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/terrain-movement-trays-and-miniature-basing-material/

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Re: Night Goblins Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Eeeeexcellent, I love night goblins.

I'm planning on doing a NG army after my Ogre one, using the same miniatures as you!  :)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »
Looks really nice! The 4th ed gobbos paint up really well - and quickly!

I really like the flames on the hat... but they're inverted. =) Flames should be brighter in the centre and darker on the edges - if you want them realistic. They look good as is though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much! =D

Regarding the base, I think you need something to blend the gravel and foliage with the actual base. Fine grain sand? It's a very harsh line between the gravel and the untextured base. Some pva and sand there, paint it up and you're good to go. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
Hmm someone on the Waaagh suggested a wash, I tried it the ballast absorbs it and it looks kinda blah...

As for the flames I did them both ways.  So I have inverted normal colour flames and normal red, orange, and yellow flames.  I discarded both schemes in favour of purple flames and when I have a duplicate unit which I do in case of the bowmen, I have blue flames and trim on the second unit, as alluded to in the blog post.

I've been working on the magnetic tray and discovered I'm a few painted goblins short of 55.  I don't know what happened there...  It looked like 55 in the miniature case.  I got some of the new or at least newer plastic one piece Night Goblin archers off of eBay cheap, I think shipping may have cost more.  I only need one more for my mercenaries but I think I'm painting up six or is it five to fill out the movement tray and give me a good sized completed unit.

Not sure what I'll do to the bases, I got one more test goblin, the proper flame one to try on...  But that is so for tomorrow it is 1:38 AM here I've been cutting little magnetic squares out for hours it seems.

Nope just counted and in this picture there are 50, five rows of ten.  It is the spearmen that are ranked 11 wide, I think I wanted to match them or something.  It is only five more models, surely I can paint those in under two days.

Cheers,

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:15:01 AM »
Looks really nice! The 4th ed gobbos paint up really well - and quickly!

I really like the flames on the hat... but they're inverted. =) Flames should be brighter in the centre and darker on the edges - if you want them realistic. They look good as is though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much! =D

Regarding the base, I think you need something to blend the gravel and foliage with the actual base. Fine grain sand? It's a very harsh line between the gravel and the untextured base. Some pva and sand there, paint it up and you're good to go. =)

The flames are obviously what Goblin's consider flames to look like!!!  :)

The base, I really don't like the ballast personally. Looks too rocky for me, like he's wading through a scree slope (8th edition rulebook, scenery section).

Otherwise, really nice and the army looks cool too.  :)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
The army looks cool. Good job! Any chance of a higher res pic?

Not sure what I'll do to the bases
May I suggest this:
1. Brush PVA on base top, dip in fine sand. Make sure the whole top is covered!
2. Without waiting for the first layer to dry, apply liberal globs of PVA where you want the coarser gravel/ballast. Put some gravel on the PVA globs (make sure the PVA bulges out underneath the gravel) and once again dip the base in fine sand to cover the remaining PVA.
3. When dry, wash liberally with a thin mixture of black paint, PVA and water. Should be so thin that you don't have to brush it on. This will hold it all in place and darken it. Make sure to use PVA that dries clear and not white. =D
4. When completely dry, drybrush heavily with some dark brown (scorched earth?), then lighter brown (like snake bite leather, but duller) and then even lighter (50/50 deneb stone + snake bite?). Paint the edges the colour of your choice.
5. Finally apply small globs of PVA where you want foliage, static grass etc.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »
I really don't mind the ballast.  I like the rocky look.  My usual basing method is drybrushed sand, so I'm trying to move away from that.  I'm thinking of mixing the ballast and the red flock stuff together...  I tried washing the ballast it didn't go well.

I also dug up too more Autumnal basing materials, some static grass and some leaves, honest to goodness miniature leaves, oak ones I think.  I bought them off the Anetecoti's Workshop fellow or however you spell it.  I'll be trying them out today on some test models.

I did finish the movement tray and magnetizing the entire unit, including some fresh recruits which I'll be painting this afternoon.

No pictures of finished minis, just this tutorial to link to:
http://musksminiatures.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/build-a-magnetized-movement-tray/

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:00:21 PM »
So I'm back from some errands and I'm still working away at the great goblin baseoff.   lol 

I have done the other test goblin's base.  This one the flames are right way around, which will appease the nit picky, but I think it looks worse on the bow shaft for instance.  I suppose you could paint the shaft brown, I did the spears brown, but not Spearshaft Brown, I never ever had that colour.

Anyway I did the follow when basing this fellow.  I dabbed on three dabs of UHU glue then dunked him in ballast.  Then I immediately dunked him and forced some of the red stuff onto the ballast,  but I also pulled a lot of it off with tweezers.

Then after that was given some time to dry I did my first ever static grass application.  Maybe it is a bit much, but I think it is a good addition to the Autumnal base.  Finally I put on what I thought was a small piece of lichen again with UHU glue, but maybe I should have used super glue like I did with the static grass.

I then took pictures.  I then trimmed the lichen and took another picture.  Now you get to see both.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 06:59:20 PM »
I think I got it working pretty good.  UHU makes some of the lichen turn white, but the oak leaves look really good.  I have tonnes of them or at least a reasonably sized plastic container.  I really minimize the red stuff and the controversial ballast.  I also have to struggle to keep the lichen small and I'll only use static grass on say every third or fifth model.

I'll probably paint the edge again, but I wanted to get the pics up.  I only have two days to finish this unit off and although I can base 3-4 models quickly, 50 is going to take time.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
So I followed through with my late last night plan of painting five additional Night Goblin Archers, all in a single day, so that I could finally say this unit is finished once I base them and finish the movement tray on Saturday.

It is already Saturday but I feel good because I had a nap after painting these models:

And you can read all about it, or not the choice is yours.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 11:21:34 AM »
They look, really, really nice!!!

The skin is awesome.  :)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 11:40:58 AM »
Like your fanatics - I've got a load of the 4th ed. ones like the one on the left, although I have a hankering for some of the older 80s ones - surprise, suprise!  ::)

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
I'm thinking of doing quick, well quick for 50+ goblins highlights on the faces, forearms, and lead hands knuckles and such of the back ranks.  Most of them are just base-coated...  I also will be assembly line style basing the whole lot of 55 starting after breakfast.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:58:41 AM »
And they are done.

I don't know when I'll find the intestinal fortitude to do another unit in this army.  It was a lot of work, a lot of it crammed into the last three days.

You know you want to click this link:
http://musksminiatures.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/behold-my-night-goblin-horde/

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
Night Goblins make poor mercenaries.  Read about my two crushing defeats today.

http://musksminiatures.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/game-2-3-of-warhammer-8th-edition/