Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 02:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692611
  • Total Topics: 118475
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting WW II Soviet Sailors  (Read 8233 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Painting WW II Soviet Sailors
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:19:42 AM »
Hi Guys,

Well it's a Soviet week for me as I start to build and paint more of my Soviet collection. I won't go into some of the issues I've found since opening some of the boxes/parcels containing vehicles with missing parts or incorrect bodies for turrets that I've had in storage pending this season's activities.

I'm asking here as I'm not the font of all knowledge and my library doesn't have a uniform book on Soviet sailors.

I'm painting up some BAM Soviet Sailors for my collection and wondering what colour piping is on the other ranks head band?

The RKKA web-site has two sailors, but detail is limited. I've gone with white piping for the top and the headband itself with yellow lettering and a neat red star for the top.

By the way I noticed that Warlord games has taken the Soviet sailors off the web-site pending new moulds. It would have been nice for them to keep the photos for the likes of us who wish to paint the miniatures.

Cheers and many thanks,

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
Re: Painting WW II Soviet Sailors
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »
Hope this helps as I bought this figure to base the sailors on

http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/70207page1.html

Paul

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »
Hope this helps as I bought this figure to base the sailors on

http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/70207page1.html

Paul

Cheers Paul, that helps.

Helen

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »
My wife loves him, she says that the unit must have been raised by Jean Paul Gaultier. Glad you are enjoying them all the best

Paul

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
My wife loves him, she says that the unit must have been raised by Jean Paul Gaultier. Glad you are enjoying them all the best

Paul

lol

Glad to see there are other grown men who has a certain fondness of pretty dolls. I may now dare to bring out my small Great War collection, which I also told myself I'd buy 'for reference'. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:21:36 PM by Hammers »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »

Paul

Thanks Paul they are beautiful miniatures. I'm looking forward in seeing the character pack perhaps one day.

Helen

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
I have about 12 all for reference  ::)

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
I have about 12 all for reference  ::)

Been collecting GI Joe, Action Man, Geyper Man etc for close to 20 years.  And Dragon figures as well.  I knew I should have came up with a better cover story!  "I am buying these as references for historical miniatures"

I am probably 300 12" figures too late for that cover story.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:22:21 AM »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 03:31:30 AM »

The description to one of a photo:

Leading Seaman of the Red Fleet, 1941-42
  At the outbreak of war the Navy represented less than six per cent of the total manpower of the armed forces (contrasting with the Ground Forces with 79 per cent and the Air Force with 11.5 per cent). Much of the Red Fleet was bottled up in harbour for most of the war, naval operations being largely limited to coastal surface and submarine operations in the Baltic and Black Seas and direct support of land operations on these seaboards. In addition to the Naval Infantry brigades which already existed in 1941, many other Navy personnel were formed into ground combat units. Land-based sailors were prominent in the defence of Leningrad during the epic siege, and in the Crimea in 1942.
  On the sleeves of the reefer jacket or bushlat this Leading Seaman (starshy krasnoflotets)
wears his badge of rank: a five-pointed red star outlined yellov. His seaman's cap bears a tally identifying the "Northern Fleet". He wears bell-bottom trousers over standard issue army boots; the traditional blue and white striped cotton undershirt was also worn by Naval Infantry, often with standard issue Red Army khaki uniform. His equipment includes a fabric Maxim machine-gun belt worn as a rifle ammunition bandolier, as traditionally carried by sailors serving on land (who were not normally issued with ammunition pouches, although this sailor has acquired one); the waist belt supports two RGD-33 grenades, and a personal sheath knife. The rifle is the M1891/30 Mosin with bayonet fixed.

The officer at service in Marines:
Peak-cap black with white strips, a jacket dark blue (often wrongly represent black, but the black jacket rushed only with a tie and had two numbers of buttons!) with gold buttons, belts, trousers and footwear – black.
In the winter – a black cap with ear-flaps, black an overcoat or a fur coat covered with a black skin
  The sailor: a peak-cap without a peak (peakless cap) only black with white strips, with a tape with the ship or service name. The senior corporals (the boatswain and others) carried an officer peak-cap. A white cover – a full dress accessory!
  Natelnaja shirt (stripped vest) – striped - dark blue and white strips.
  Shirt – only dark blue with a blue sailor's collar with three thin white strips though could rush and without it.
  Working clothes – from a canvas of yellow-white colour. On it the sailor's collar could be fastened. Sometimes rushed in Marines divisions, but it is rare. Mixture of different samples of a uniform is possible.
  Pea jacket (cloth jacket) black with two numbers of gold buttons.
  Overcoat the black.
   Belts and leather equipment the black naval or brown army. Covers: naval – from a black or dark grey fabric, army – colours khaki, were often used both those and others.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:30:13 AM »
Thank you Cuprum, great information and photos. I've some spare BAM Soviet sailors in which I'll provide them with some steel helmets.

Thanks again,

Helen

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 04:46:37 AM »
If still there will be questions on the Soviet uniform - ask. I will try to help.
I wish successes, Michael.
P.S. Excuse for my English language. I use the computer translator.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 05:25:48 AM »
If still there will be questions on the Soviet uniform - ask. I will try to help.
I wish successes, Michael.
P.S. Excuse for my English language. I use the computer translator.

Thank you Michael,

I do have one more question and that is the officers shoulder boards. What colours please?.

Thank you,

Helen

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 05:38:27 AM »
Shoulder boards (epaulets) in the Soviet army and on fleet have appeared only in 1943! Then already Marines parts carried an army uniform with small elements of naval clothes (there is one photo above). If you wish to make figures in a sea uniform (it was used in marines in 1941-42) that distinction signs then carried only on sleeves.
You signs on sleeves or epaulets interest?