Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:55:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692385
  • Total Topics: 118456
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Summer of modelling: an almost 2' square 1" tile surface 25th August  (Read 11233 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Another of my doomed-to-fade threads? Maybe not. Instead of opening a thread for each project I am working on, I have grouped the lot here, and will then create threads once stuff matures.
To begin, here is the workbench undercoat queue:

Dark Eldar Talos/Chronos hybrid on the left, several 10mm vehicles for a beyond-Mad Max set of vehicles, 3 flies from SpellCrow, alien terrors from the Crossover Kickstarter (now assembled - they arrived yesterday), and bits of scenery - the Frostgrave beanstalk is complete and has been shown in another thread.

I also cleaned up my Gaming Surface A - the one designed to survive in the basement, with its very high humidity. The surface consists of ceramic tiles, the scenery is limestone. Doesn't look like much so far, but I am planning to work the limestone bits into something more interesting..... ;)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:18:03 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: A summer of modelling: table and projects pics
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
Ceramic tiles...interesting

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
It's also the ideal material to thwart those ham-fisted gamers who accidentaly destroy more delicate terrain. (And by "more delicate terrain", I mean everything not built out of stone!)

OTOH, not for 'away' games. :D
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
Interesting.....  :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:54:23 PM »
It's also the ideal material to thwart those ham-fisted gamers who accidentaly destroy more delicate terrain. (And by "more delicate terrain", I mean everything not built out of stone!)

OTOH, not for 'away' games. :D
That's true. And better still, coffee spills (unless they make it to the rule book).

On the other hand, dropping one of those on a model hurts... :?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »
A tiny update.
I have just counted the number of 8" square spare ceramic tiles I have: 25.
Which means 5 x 5 = 40"x40" = Frostgrave surface.

One problem worrying me about Frostgrave is the frost itself - I have some models which fit Frostgrave to a T, but which I would also like to use in a different setting with no snow. What to do? Defrosting seems the obvious solution, but I DID like the frosty setting aspect.

The solution turnedout to be obvious: it's magic-induced frost, so some partsof the city are frosted over, others are not. D'oh!  :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: A summer of modelling: tiling away
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »
Time for some Fury Road (sort of) love.

Look, a box!

Opened...

Remeber the old Pappis box challenge? This is what I had never completed, with a bigger box and different bases. OK, all changed bar the inspiration for a battle in a box.

8 1' x 1' cork tiles

2' x 4' - the shop ran out of the stuff, or I'd have  a 3'x3' option too.

6mm Epic Spleenrippa, also useable as a smaller buggy in 10mm; and a conversion - with a terrain close up

A desert monster....

:D sorry, got distracted.

Some patches of grass

A 3-cornered pyramid?

They come in threes.

That's it, before it gets madder than Max.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Summer of modelling: Fury Road gaming surface tiles & a box
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
Are those simply Cork tiles sprayed grey? They're brilliant for a desert table!

As for the tiles; watch your back! How are they attached to the table? Tile glue? And will you be texturing them in some way?

Love the box btw: I have a thing for that sort of gear. Let me guess; there originally used to be some sort of tools in there? Perhaps a microscope or something along those lines? It wouldn't have been your girlfriend, right? I mean: it says +GF+ and all, but that'll never fit... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:37:12 PM »
Amazing idea for cracked earth! Damn, that's brilliant.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »

Are those simply Cork tiles sprayed grey? They're brilliant for a desert table!

Thanks - and yes they are, with some patches in brown and yellow, some very small patches of flock, and two larger white areas representing dry salt pools.

As for the tiles; watch your back! How are they attached to the table? Tile glue? And will you be texturing them in some way?
The other tiles - not attached at all -the ones shown in the pics are heavy enough to stay in place, AND will not be moved around, so my back is safe. The smaller ones I mentioned in the picless post have to be movable to give variety in setting up. But as long as I limit the number I carry I should be dorsally fine.  :D

Love the box btw: I have a thing for that sort of gear. Let me guess; there originally used to be some sort of tools in there? Perhaps a microscope or something along those lines? It wouldn't have been your girlfriend, right? I mean: it says +GF+ and all, but that'll never fit... lol
Well my wife's petite, so as my GF she'd have given fitting in the box a run for its money  ;) :D
It did contain a tool, never discovered what, however, as it was empty when I came across it.
They don't make them like they used to.....

Amazing idea for cracked earth! Damn, that's brilliant.
Thank you - it's open acccess, so copy away  :D

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »
The PAPPIS Challenge lives! Nice work Vanvlak - the box looks very sturdy (unlike ikea cardboard) and the cork works great for cracked earth!!! 8) 8) 8)

I'm looking forward to the next instalment. :D

Cheers
Matt

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
The PAPPIS Challenge lives! Nice work Vanvlak - the box looks very sturdy (unlike ikea cardboard) and the cork works great for cracked earth!!! 8) 8) 8)

I'm looking forward to the next instalment. :D

Cheers
Matt
Thank you.
It lives - armoured and cat proof, if a little larger than the actual Pappis box.
Next instalment will probably veer away into some different project, which is why I am collecting them all here (bar one - Halo). So it could be more of this, or Frostgrave, or Project Lionheart (no relation to Richard).  ;D

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
A one stop shop to Vanvlaks hobby hopping. Perfect 8) :D Just take a peak at mine haha haha.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 08:41:59 PM »
A one stop shop to Vanvlaks hobby hopping. Perfect 8) :D Just take a peak at mine haha haha.

Cheers
Matt
Most certainly!
And now for something completely different - more tiles (back to the ceramic variety).
These are not part of the first board shown, but a Frostgrave project - remember the beanstalk? That will be transferred to ones of these tiles. But I'm looking too far ahead. Here are the ingredients:

The tile itself (8"x8" - there were a pile of these in the house when we bought it).
Some LOTR scenery bits.
A few scraps of that bark-lke stuff they put on plants (I stole my few bits of this from a plastic plant in a boardroom, one bit  at a time in my jacket pocket.....).
Cat litter. Unused; important detail, that.
Sticky soft cushioning pads to avoid having the rather abrasive tile bottom surface scratching any table they're put on to - indispensable!

Here's where these go:

And here's the assembly (still to be painted ofcourse!) with a guest wraithy sort of fellow for a spot of nostalgia, and to clearly demonstrate the pic is fuzzy...  ;D

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Kitty litter? Now your just inviting the fluffy beggar onto your table!  ;D

Yep it's fuzzy. lol

Matt