Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zinnfiguren SYW Project  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
Re: Zinnfiguren SYW Project
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2023, 05:01:41 PM »
Beautiful.  Anyone who thinks wofun standups are a good idea should see these and rethink their stance. 
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline ilkley Old School

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 12:20:58 PM »
I have added another unit to the Zinnfiguren armies.

These chaps are the Mainz Lamberg. I have used Scholtz Austrian figures from Berliner Zinnfiguren.

I am still learning what painting technique works best with these figures but find 10 infantry or 5 cavalry a good number to paint as a batch.

The Mainz Lamberg served with the Austrian army and was present at many of the battles including Freiburg.

Next on my painting table is a unit of Austrian Cuirassier.

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2023, 06:01:58 PM »
My latest unit. These are the Pálffy Austrian Cuirassiers.

I have also recently bought a job lot of Kieler figures which included a rather nicely painted Seydlitz figure.

I found this figure useful as a reference in trying to see what I could achieve with Acrylics. I still have a lot to learn but one thing I will not be doing is trying to use oils to paint these figures.

There is on other thing about Seydlitz figure.  He is only painted on oneside. This is common for figures which are then used in dioramas or mounted in pictures frames.

I will use this figure but clearly he can only lead charges going right to left.

Next up  a combined Austrian Grenadier unit.

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2023, 02:34:36 PM »
My latest unit. These are the Pálffy Austrian Cuirassiers.

I found this figure useful as a reference in trying to see what I could achieve with Acrylics. I still have a lot to learn but one thing I will not be doing is trying to use oils to paint these figures.

There is on other thing about Seydlitz figure.  He is only painted on oneside. This is common for figures which are then used in dioramas or mounted in pictures frames.

I will use this figure but clearly he can only lead charges going right to left.

Oils have their virtues but for figures with a certain relief those virtues are not needed.

“Charges from right to left”, and maybe retreats from left to right…better paint his other side!

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2023, 12:26:05 AM »
Very nicely painted figures with excellent free-hand, and they look lovely ranked up.  I am eager to see this project develop, Kieler produced some truly lovely Zinnfiguren.  As I understand it, their sculptors were master pewterers by training, hence the high quality.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 07:19:41 PM »
I have completed 2 more units for my Zinnfiguren project.

First up is an Austrian combined Grenadier unit. These are made up of the old Kieler figures I recently got from ebay.

This unit is made up of the Grenadier companies from the Salm and Roth Wurzburg regiments.

The second unit is a Prussian Grenadier unit. I got these figures as part of a job lot I recently purchased. They are again Kieler figures and were already painted. I decided to make some minor paint changes and these are now the 8/46 Alt-Billerbeck Grenadiers.  I have some extra Grenadier figures so may add a couple of extra ones to bring this unit up to strength.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 10:23:35 PM by ilkley Old School »

Offline Gunner who?

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2023, 07:28:19 AM »
Lovely miniatures and painting - you should visit the KLIO-site on FB.

Cheers

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2023, 10:48:39 AM »
My latest unit for my Freiburg Zinnfiguren armies is the Prussian Krockow Dragoon Regiment No 2.

I have used Kieler figures for this unit and they are certainly in dynamic Charge poses.

I could not find a nice blue for the uniform some mixed a couple of different shades together. I used Liquitex Prussian Blue ink for the shading.

A closer view shows the detail of the figures which although fine is pronounced enough to paint and shade.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 10:54:21 AM by ilkley Old School »

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2023, 12:44:10 PM »
Very nice and excellent painting. Following with grat interest

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2023, 01:56:33 PM »
I have been painting some more Kieler Zinnfiguren for my Freiburg project.

First up a unit a Prussian Frei battalion.

I have painted these as the Frei-Infanterie von Lüderitz and these were part of Kleists command at Freiburg.

For my next unit I decided on a paint restoration on the remaining old factory painted Kieler Austrian Grenadiers I bought on ebay.

This is how they looked before my restoration.

I have tried to recreate how they might have looked when they were bought in Vienna in 1936. I repainted, touched up and tidyed up the paint work.

Finally I have painted an Austrian officer again using a Kieler figure.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2023, 03:09:48 PM »
Lovely work once again, the Prussian look great, such a super uniform. Good work on restoring the original paint job on the Austrians, you have done them well. :)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2023, 06:30:00 AM »
Very nice. I was at the Warfare show on Saturday and someone had laid on a 20 x 6' table displaying the battle of Domstadl/Domasov from 1758 using flats. Certainly the most impressive display game there. Maybe if I'd found flats 45 years ago my gaming life would have been different....

Thanks for the inspirational project. 

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2023, 11:38:38 AM »
yes, indeed. Such a great fit / look for rank and file.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2023, 09:00:05 AM »
Brilliant stuff

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2023, 02:56:13 PM »
My latest painted unit is the Karlstader Oguliner Grenz in their earlier pre 62 uniform.  The privates are Grunewald figures whilst the NCO is a Kieler figure.

I have also bought some second hand painted figures from the Berliner Zinnfigurens Flea Market

Hungarian Infantry

And Prussian Cavalry