Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 03:21:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694430
  • Total Topics: 118606
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Malayan Emergency/Confrontation figures  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
Malayan Emergency/Confrontation figures
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:23:14 AM »
Dear All,

Just a quick ask for recommendations for miniatures for the Malayan Emergency ideally in 28mm but if necessary 20mm. I'm aware of the Inkerman offerings but to be blunt I don't like them.

I'm asking because my father-in-law passed away a few days ago; he was a Bren gunner in the King's Dragoon Guards in Malaya around 1955-6. I'd like to paint a few figures as a tribute and possibly put together enough figures for a small game IF I can find suitable miniatures. Given the very personal nature of the project the sculpt quality will have to be absolutely top notch; I'd rather not proceed than settle for second best.

So chaps, with you immense collective knowledge and wisdom do we have any recommendations?

Offline Dougie

• Assistant
Re: Malayan Emergency/Confrontation figures
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »
Brittania Miniatures do a small range in 28mm, sculpted just before the designer Dave Howitt passed away, I think they're still available.
Dougie

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
For 28mm, I was going to suggest Commando Miniatures' Retreat fro Empire range, but they are a bit late (1960s), so the Brits have SLRs.  But there is a Bren Gunner.
http://www.commandominiatures.com/quartermasters-stores.html

From the photos I've seen, British Troops in Malaya in the 1950s didn't look greatly different from their predecessors in Burma and the Far East in WW2.  Might there be something suitable among these?
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/worldwar2/burma
http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=62
http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/british-chindits

Or, given that shirtsleeves and shorts seemed to be the order of the day in the photos I've seen, helmeted Eighth Army figures (or perhaps headswapped with bush hats) might be of some use?
http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/british-8th-army
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_74_75&osCsid=k4ru3ube045vffsbtnah46g682
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
Here is a link to Britannia's range

http://www.britannia-miniatures.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=228

Sorry for your loss.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
Just to note that the Britannia range is the former Inkerman range mentioned in the OP. Britannia are now owned by Grubby, by the way, so that name might get attached to the range too.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
Brittania, ex Inkerman is yer lot for Malaya. I don't own any myself but from the photos I've seen, you'd be hard pressed to call them top notch, they look pretty ropey to me, esecially the MRLA guerillas. Then again as they are the only game in town, perhaps you can, purely by dint of no contest.

WW2 Chindits and the like would take quite a bit of converting, including universal head swaps, new foot wear and rifles/carbines. Lot of work if you are planning on a platoon.

I'd love to see a decent range of figures for Malaya. Maybe try petitioning Nic at Eureka or posting a 100 club idea. I'd buy quite a few and I'm sure many others would too.

By the by, the Indonesian Confrontation is an entirely different conflict.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I did look at the Britannia/Inkerman range a yew years ago and as I Said in my OP I really don't like them. I don't have the modelling skills to do a decent conversion job so I guess this one will have to wait.

Thank you for the condolences Carlos. I'll ask anyone reading this to raise a glass to all the young lads who did National Service in the unglamorous wars at the end of empire (any empire) and all the better if it is a pint of Banks's Mild (your research task for the day if you don't know what that is  :) ). Say a word or two for Trooper Brown KDG and his mates.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
I'm about to have a beer, it's Mexican not Bank's Mild, so hopefully that will do. Here's to Trooper Brown, late of the King's Dragoon Guards!

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
Thank you Carlos

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
I'll happily tip my glass to him too, along with all the national service guys, my own uncles included. My dad missed out by mere months and would have been heartbroken at the loss of his over-large quiff and DA.

:)

It would have to be Bank's Bitter for me though. I was born within the smell of Bank's brewery, so I'm quite familiar with its quality as by far the best beer in the world... and the penchant for local landlords to top up the mild barrels with the contents of the slop trays too. Mild wasn't a few pence cheaper back in the day for nothing you know.

;)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »
These figures from Perry are 8th Army Bren Gun teams in long trousers.
They are very nice and I hope that they should be close enough to suit your needs.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_74_75&products_id=3005&osCsid=k4ru3ube045vffsbtnah46g682

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »
Arlequin,

One of my earliest memories is of the smell from Banks's brewery; my parents ran the Royal Oak in Brickkiln Street for a short while in the early 70s. I'm sure they didn't adulterate their servings  ;) It is indeed a small world.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:34 AM »
Arlequin,

One of my earliest memories is of the smell from Banks's brewery; my parents ran the Royal Oak in Brickkiln Street for a short while in the early 70s. I'm sure they didn't adulterate their servings  ;) It is indeed a small world.

Being a former pub enthusiast, I had to google that. A pub that's now the domain of the seventh day apprentices. That's bloody tragic. Must be very tempting to grab a mate, knock on their door and say " Hi, we're here to tell you about beer and the benefits of letting alcohol into your life'

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 05:43:22 AM »
Being a former pub enthusiast, I had to google that. A pub that's now the domain of the seventh day apprentices. That's bloody tragic. Must be very tempting to grab a mate, knock on their door and say " Hi, we're here to tell you about beer and the benefits of letting alcohol into your life'
lol

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »

As an ex-Seventh Day Adventist  :o in my idealistic youth,  I find that very humorous.   lol  And a worthy jest.   8)

Those with a sense of humor will, (more than a few in reality,) get a laugh from such a presentation although there is little chance of a "conversion" in most cases.   ;)

:)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!