Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 10:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694360
  • Total Topics: 118600
  • Online Today: 684
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Traveller RPG Terrain  (Read 4052 times)

Offline S44lade

• Scientist
Traveller RPG Terrain
« on: October 07, 2014, 02:23:56 AM »
Foliage boxes I put together to add an alien feel to a fledging traveller campaign. Cheap "fish-tank" plants, and some PVC card offcuts. The side texture is from an old roll of anaglypta wallpaper, with some railway flocking for the dirt.

Overall the effect worked well on-table and was quick and easy to put together.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Traveller RPG Terrain
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »
Very nice. Are you doing your Traveller in 15mm or 28mm?

Offline S44lade

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »

28mm as we have plenty of models in that size - I'll take some more shots and show u over the weekend

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »
How do you play ? Is it like a "normal" rpg, chatting with a pen and paper,  where miniatures are just used to show precisely a combat situation on a map, or is it something like a "advanced" miniature game where all the game is represented on the table ?

I'm asking because I plan to make a coop (GM free) shadowrun miniature game mod, probably based on 3rd edition, but I'm not sure how I could do that.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, but I didn't find any "by crom" game (miniature or rpg) ?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
http://www.matakishi.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3525005

I'd recommend Crom too - have played it a few times at BLAM, very easy to learn, interesting ideas and most of all good fun!
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline S44lade

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:02 PM »
Traveller is a traditional pen and paper game. There are plenty of great online resources for traveller (and I'm sure for shadowrun as well). You could use those resources to capture the essence of the game and let Crom supply the "mechanics" to keep paperwork  at a minimum, and allow you to get you involved in the game. The other question you need to ask yourself is "how often am I going to run games?" If its every once in a while then a simpler ruleset like Crom gets you up and running very quickly and you will quickly add in your own "house" rules to flesh it out as you need to.

Hope this helps and enjoy your gaming

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:19:52 PM »
thank you all for the help !

Is Crom solo and coop oriented game ? So the bad guys are driven by the game, not the player(s)  ?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »
The bad guys are player controlled but can be 'programmed' by the scenario if you want to all play on the same side.
Anarchy Offline has a solo play mode and is sci fi based as you know and will be available soon(tm).

Offline S44lade

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:54 PM »
http://www.matakishi.com/crom.htm should give you an overview.

Basically each character has a dice pool (which is effectively their health) In each turn they allocate dice from the pool to move, fight or use a special action. If they get injured they lose dice from the pool, weakening them (and reducing the dice in their pool). Hero types have large dice pools, bad guys typically have smaller ones.

Offline S44lade

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:23 AM »

That would be the best way to run it alright, but I guess it depends on how many bodies he has available to attend a session.

Mongoose is the best Traveller system, I've only heard bad reports about 5E.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
Traveller is a traditional pen and paper game. There are plenty of great online resources for traveller (and I'm sure for shadowrun as well). .....

That's true, but the 'Snapshot' and 'Striker' combat rules for Traveller (LBB version at least) can be used as a detailed set of miniature wargames rules. http://www.farfuture.net/Guide%20to%20Classic%20Traveller.pdf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striker_(miniatures_game)

Scurv, that's fairly spot on!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:32:50 AM by Etranger »
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
thanks for all this good information ! And sorry to have hijacked this thread, I'll create my own soon (I just received the needed shadowrun minis).

Concerning rules, I already own 5150: new beginnings, wich seems (as far as I readed it) perfect for a shadowrun conversion. Using my official 3rd edition shadowrun book + 5150:nb should allow me to cover most of the shadowrun setup.

In 5150:nb you can be hired to do jobs for corporations, "black" jobs, with raids, kill someone missions, break and steal some item, robbery, transport, bodyguard, etc... You even have to be interviewed by the employer before obtaining the job.

I also recently readed about the "private investigator" addon for the game, allowing new investigation missions.

The only thing I'll have to tweak are the weapons and cyberware, races, magic (probably use other THW fantasy games I own), and of course the matrix.  I will use the official rulebook to give me infos and directions.