Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:01:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone ever gamed the Peasant Revolt of 1381?  (Read 613 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Anyone ever gamed the Peasant Revolt of 1381?
« on: August 02, 2023, 09:22:09 PM »
These vids might serve as a reminder, and might also get your juices working:

Other than overwhelming numbers, what other reasons were there for their temporary success?  They had no military training whatsoever, and (initially) very little in the way of arms and armor.

What was the key to their initial success, and how could that be replicated on the wargaming table?  Which set of rules would you use?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dan
PS.  Related to the topic:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=138802.0
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=138326.0
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:43:42 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
Re: Anyone ever gamed the Peasant Revolt of 1381?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 09:29:21 PM »
Other than overwhelming numbers, what other reasons were there for their temporary success?  They had no military training whatsoever, and (initially) very little in the way of arms and armor.
Not the 1381 one, but in general:
1.) element of surprise: a revolt can happen anytime, no prep time like for an inter-country war
2.) numbers, you mentioned
3.) knowledge of terrain, guerilla tactics
4.) internal struggles in the upper classes: barons do not help a fellow baron in case of such a revolt, and when the fire spreads on his own turf, it is already a f big fire
5.) they, in fact, do have some military experience, at least the leaders. The biggest peasant revolt of Hungary, the one in 1514 led by György Dózsa, broke out in the camp of a crusade under organization against the Ottomans. Not everyone who took part had a military training, but they had a solid central part made of trained men and lower-ranking, yet very experienced noblemen- like Dózsa himself. Not every noble is pleased with the current status quo, a revolt is an opportunity to change it.
6.) fanatism. The aforementioned 1514 revolt broke out when the crusade was cancelled- priests told the people that the nobles revoked the absolution the pope promised them for the crusade. But Wat Tyler himself was also religious, great fan of the priest John Ball who also took a leading role in the 1381 rebellion.

Out of this, the main outlines
-give the peasants one pretty solid HQ unit
-let them appear and disappear, whatever that in your ruleset is called
-their morale shall be a bit random: fanatics at first, but, as the better-equipped enemy massacres them, getting easy to break. Better yet, some special characters to give them morale.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: Anyone ever gamed the Peasant Revolt of 1381?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 05:15:05 AM »
I agree with most of your points, SPECIALLY the knowledge of terrain.  They must have known every nook and cranny, every ditch and ravine, every abandoned Roman sewer or aqueduct.  Areas that their overlords would have ever known were there.

“Let them appear and disappear”, that would be so awesome.  So demoralizing to their enemy!  :)
Thanks!

Dan

NOTE:  After I picked out all the “duplicates” (extras), I’m left with two near identical piles of 15mm figures.  Actually, many of the figures in that “duplicates” pile are unique poses.  About 40 figures that I’ll never use.  If anyone is interested, give me a shout.  These are Khurasan, Baueda and Fighting 15s figures.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 05:05:23 PM by Cacique Caribe »