Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693834
  • Total Topics: 118559
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting recipes for Buckskin and Native American Fleshtones, help please.  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Morning all, as my Old West project rolls on I decided to get some Plains indians and Apaches to include as scouts renegades etcetera. So my question is Can anyone help me out with a paint recipe for the Fleshtone of both as the Apache appear a little darker than the Plains Indians. I like to paint in Triads but I'm not adverse to mixing and I already have the Foindry Triad which I find a bit too Pinky Red. I also really struggle with Buckskin, as in leggings, fringed shirts and such Any help and pointers would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
JB

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Painting recipes for Buckskin and Native American Fleshtones, help please.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 07:54:08 AM »
Can't help with the whole triad bit - I use craft paints and a little knowledge on hue, shade, tint, and tone.

However, I can help with how I do it.  And, yes, there is a minor difference but I would do both the same way.

Start with a Ruddy Skin Tone (something a bit redder than simple flesh tone).  Then do a wash with a red-brown of your choice.  For me, that brings it to a finish for skin since I work in 15 mm.  If larger size figures, then I'd mix the skin tone and wash colors, add just enough white to make it stand out without going overboard and use that as a highlight - and I guess you could call that a triad.  If you really need to do plains and Apache differently, just use a darker red-brown for the Apache.

Hope that is helpful.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 09:38:03 AM »
I also struggled a bit with native Americans skin. A solution that I found reasonably good was:

Vallejo model color

1. Matt black undercoat
2. Chocolate brown
3. Cork brown
4. Army painter soft or strong tone (depending on how dark you want the skin) quickshade wash

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:44:44 AM by traveller »

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 08:18:33 PM »
Much appreciated Fifteens, unfortunately I'm not particularly artistic and need it spelt out but those are some useful pointers
And Traveller, it's nice I'm not the only one to feel I struggle with this, Ill give those tips a go., I've recently sourced the Scalecolor Scale 75 Flesh tones that I should be able to mix for various shades. It's the Buck skin I struggle with as well so again, if anyone out there can help that would be very much appreciated
Many thanks in Anticipation
JB
JB

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 08:04:59 AM »
I'm not an artist either, just curious sort and read a bit; try this: https://www.beachpainting.com/blog/color-hue-tint-tone-and-shade/#:~:text=Shade%20is%20a%20hue%20or,one%20drop%20at%20a%20time.

As to buckskin, I use a buff color with a red-brown wash.  Works for me.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 04:35:21 PM »
Much appreciated Fifteens, unfortunately I'm not particularly artistic and need it spelt out but those are some useful pointers
And Traveller, it's nice I'm not the only one to feel I struggle with this, Ill give those tips a go., I've recently sourced the Scalecolor Scale 75 Flesh tones that I should be able to mix for various shades. It's the Buck skin I struggle with as well so again, if anyone out there can help that would be very much appreciated
Many thanks in Anticipation
JB
JB

For the buckskin I would use almost the same as for the skin but replacing the cork with a beige or more pale brown. Then adding the wash makes all the difference. Keep washing until you like the color  ;)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:40:12 PM by traveller »

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 09:01:16 PM »
I use the Foundry Rawhide triad for buckskin which works for me...

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 06:52:47 PM »
Once again many thanks to you all for some really good suggestions and your help.
I use the Foundry Rawhide triad for buckskin which works for me...
Your suggestions Andy for the Hollywood US Cavalry in my other thread look really good so I'm sore tempted to invest but how are Foundry Paints behaving themselves nowadays? In the past I've had pots that have been a bit thin and won't cover.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Once again many thanks to you all for some really good suggestions and your help. Your suggestions Andy for the Hollywood US Cavalry in my other thread look really good so I'm sore tempted to invest but how are Foundry Paints behaving themselves nowadays? In the past I've had pots that have been a bit thin and won't cover.

A bit variable if I'm honest, but the rawhide is still pretty good...

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
Many thanks for the input. I've just taken receipt of Rawhide,Buff leather Boneyard dark leather brown and to be fair the consistency seems pretty good. Just need to find time to make a start. .   .
Many thanks again one and all.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
I like to use Reaper flesh tones like Sunburn, and Suntan, lightened up a bit with Griffon Tan. For Buckskin I prefer yellow ochrey, golden brownish tans mostly like some of the Foundry triads, Ochre 4B, Base sand 10B, Buff Leather 7, Butter fudge55B, etc.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/