Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10469
  • Latest: liath
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692490
  • Total Topics: 118463
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark - Who's Playing?  (Read 65890 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Oathmark - Who's Playing?
« Reply #435 on: December 15, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »
So, people who base on rounds, but are using sabot style trays or some sort of movement tray for ranked units...what are you doing for standalone champions? just leaving them on rounds? what about creatures like ogres or trolls? rounds, but still on some sort of square for ranking?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:23:36 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #436 on: December 15, 2020, 03:03:58 PM »
Sorry I dont know what a sabot style base is...
But standalone monsters or champions are on round bases, but I marked a spot on them, to know where the front is. As I play with my kids, thats never a problem, but I can imagine, that with competitive players it could cause negotiations...
Big creatuers, who can form a unit (ogres) are on the same round, front-marked bases, and I use magnetic tray for them: 130x55 magnetic sheet. Because its magnetic, its not a big problem, that its a bit narrower then 150 (3 large creature next to each other).

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #437 on: December 15, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
Sorry, I corrected my post to say "sabot style trays". I think that's the name for those trays that have slots to rank up minis on rounds?

the ones that Ultravanillasmurf used here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=127430.msg1613919#msg1613919

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #438 on: December 16, 2020, 02:14:17 AM »
What about mounted units like goblin wolf riders? How do they rank up after being on rounds? Small rounds?

Anyone have any tips for kingdom building? I was playing with a kingdom this evening and ended up with 3 characters (general and two champions), 5 units, and 2 monster types. Without any games in it's hard to figure out what my character-to-unit-to-monster ratio should be. Planning out purchases...

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #439 on: December 16, 2020, 06:49:38 AM »
What about mounted units like goblin wolf riders? How do they rank up after being on rounds? Small rounds?

Anyone have any tips for kingdom building? I was playing with a kingdom this evening and ended up with 3 characters (general and two champions), 5 units, and 2 monster types. Without any games in it's hard to figure out what my character-to-unit-to-monster ratio should be. Planning out purchases...
I use 25x50 squares for cavalry units. They are magnetized, as every other miniature of mine, so I can use the same magnetic sheets as movement trays.
Honestly, I never built a kingdom... We just use the minis what we have/like. For the ratios I would say two comments though:
1. We have a house rule, that min. 50% of the points must be spent on normal infantry units (soldier, spearman, archer, warrior, linebreaker, ranger). We had otherwise balance problems (full cavalry army).
2. Big monsters are really tough to beat. Another big monster or at least a charging cavalry is need to have a chance against them.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #440 on: December 16, 2020, 10:46:19 PM »
Comparison photograph:

Oathmark Human for scale.

Front and back photographs here:
https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2020/12/wargames-atlantic-halflings.html

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #441 on: December 16, 2020, 10:50:35 PM »

I will be using 25x50 rectangular bases (I would use the "capsule" bases - 25x50 with 25mm diameter ends except only Warlord do them in plastic).

I am still trying to work out a balance between narrative - army lists. Most of my armies are still too small for major character usage.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #442 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:43 PM »
Comparison photograph:

Oathmark Human for scale.

Front and back photographs here:
https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2020/12/wargames-atlantic-halflings.html

This image is perfect, but it looks like your blog has broken img tags atm.
I bought the magazine. I figure 5 halflings will be fun to just sorta sprinkle around within a human unit or two...as if a few brave 'flings have enlisted to help defend the kingdom.

Regarding the kingdom building, i don't plan to field all of the available units at max strength or anything, but it was a fun exercise to help me think about what to buy. Even if I only play a ~500pt match, I'll pull models from within the units available within the kingdom.

As soon as my Oathbreaker book arrives, I'll build an undead kingdom.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #443 on: December 17, 2020, 11:25:24 AM »
I now have all three books but not played yet due to the obvious reason. I hope to get a game in sometime in the New Year with any luck.

Like Dragon Rampant, this gives us all the opportunity to dig out any appropriate models and throw them onto the table.

Due to the different base sizes of my collection, I have made some movement trays to accommodate various models.

All of the infantry and cavalry bases are the same frontal area so a front facing of five models willline up regardless of individual base size.

Above are very old skeletons on 20mm square bases facing off against Lannisters on 30mm round bases.

...and 25mm square based Orcs against cavalry.

And there is a 100mm x 50mm base with various options for monster bases.

I just need to have a game
So much to do, so little time...

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #444 on: December 17, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »
Due to the different base sizes of my collection, I have made some movement trays to accommodate various models.
How did you make the trays? Are those from MDF? You have a laser cutter, or somet other method?

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #445 on: December 17, 2020, 12:47:07 PM »
How did you make the trays? Are those from MDF? You have a laser cutter, or somet other method?

I do not have my own laser cutter, but Jim from Products For Wargamers cuts my designs for me and then he sells them if he likes them.

These trays are on his website:
https://productsforwargamers.com/?s=oathmark&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=1&sku=1&orderby=title-DESC&ixwps=1

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #446 on: December 17, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
I do not have my own laser cutter, but Jim from Products For Wargamers cuts my designs for me and then he sells them if he likes them.

https://productsforwargamers.com/?s=oathmark&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=1&sku=1&orderby=title-DESC&ixwps=1
I think thats a very good hint for a lot of people here!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #447 on: December 17, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »
Looking at Ultravanillasmurf's interesting photo has made me wonder how many halflings a sword-armed human can decapitate and dismember in one action. So far there are no official rules for the littl'uns, so I suppose we can theorise as we wish, unless someone has either literary or, dare I say, first-hand experience.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #448 on: December 17, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »

This is great! Those 2p trays might be just what I need for my 1inch washers. 1inch = 25.4mm and 2p = 25.9mm?

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #449 on: December 17, 2020, 04:26:29 PM »
So, after making a dummy kingdom I have a better understanding of what's going on in the campaign rules...and Joseph A. McCullough did a fantastic job of bringing in the sort change a skirmish unit takes in campaign play to Rank n Flank games. True, you can mix and match units, but depending on your Capitol will depend at which ring of your kingdom the different terrain types lay, and the outer ring is the first to degrade when losses happen. So, if I have a human kingdom, I can still have some trolls, but they would live so far away from the capitol that when foreign invader starts occupying kingdom lands, their units will be the first to suffer.

It's really genius, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:31:22 PM by Jack Hooligan »