Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 04:45:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)  (Read 78975 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)
« Reply #405 on: February 18, 2024, 08:10:37 AM »
Great job on Teclis, and a great find in that bag of Big Hats.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #406 on: February 19, 2024, 10:45:19 AM »
Okay, I'm resisting the Big Hats for a little while at least (although I might* have ordered some 3D printed Bull Centaurs from Etsy...). Work continues to finish all the half-painted stuff on my desk first.

(* I totally did.)

Here's a monster! None other than the fearsome DEATH CHICKEN!  lol

I'd been looking for a good dungeon-sized Cockatrice for a while. I considered the ye olde Marauder mini, but it really was small and chicken-like. Otherworld minis made one, that's very nice and old-skool, but still a bit small considering its impressive statline in the game. Then GW made a super-cool new model a few years ago, and went completely the other way, making it way too big for the purposes of Warhammer Quest (equal in size to a big griffon or small dragon).

Anyhow, I remembered that the Massive Darkness boardgame had a "cockatrix" in the stretch goals box. Now, I really didn't get on with that game, and sold pretty much everything from the Kickstarter, but this model remained, and I think it's the perfect balance between size and ferociousness for Warhammer Quest. It was a bit tricky to clean up and paint, being CMON boardgame plastic, but I'm happy enough with how it turned out. Once it got mounted on a Fenris Games base to match the rest of the collection, it instantly began to look more the part.

Now, onwards to the painting pile!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:52:29 AM by psyberwyche »

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2024, 11:19:55 AM »
Looks gorgeous! Wouldn’t want to meet them in a dark alley! lol

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • Painting for gaming
« Reply #408 on: February 19, 2024, 12:09:39 PM »
Agreed, lovely work on that, and I wouldn't even want to meet one in a brightly lit alley  lol
I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel … but it was just some sod with a torch bringing me more work!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2024, 08:36:50 AM »
That's great. I have the same model, but you went bolder with the colour scheme and it is all the better for it (and your painting is better than mine!). Excellent work.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2024, 11:35:49 AM »
Cracking painting.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2024, 12:10:32 PM »
I have that chicken as well! Mine was sourced either on Ebay or here in the bazaar. I had no immediate use for it, but I remember really liking the design and picking it up. I occasionally encounter it when exploring the Lead Mountain, but so far it has eluded the brush... ::)

You did a great paintjob on yours though; nice and garish, just as I imagine such a monstrosity to look :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #412 on: February 23, 2024, 01:46:41 PM »
Thanks all for your kind comments about the Death Chicken. I'm sure she'll have a long and glorious career of petrifying adventurers.

Speaking of adventurers, the latest half-done model to finally get finished is my Kislevite Shaman. Actually an old metal Amber Wizard, stripped and repainted.

Next up on the bench is a female dwarf, some more Chaos Champions, then I really should get the rest of the Ghouls done. But the Chaos Dwarfs are calling to me  lol
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:49:17 PM by psyberwyche »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #413 on: February 23, 2024, 05:09:37 PM »
Beautiful work on the shaman!

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #414 on: February 23, 2024, 05:40:01 PM »
I agree that shaman is fantastic. All of it is.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #415 on: February 29, 2024, 01:46:25 PM »
Still on my mission of "finishing off things that have been in progress for months and months...  lol

Another of my female versions of the core box heroes. This time a classic Dwarf Queen Helga miniature to use as the Dwarf Warrior.

Came out a little bit dark for me. Mind you, some of that is because her eyebrows are so massive they've completely shaded out her eyes under the camera lighting!

Just got a couple of Chaos Champions to finish off, then I'm going to start something new, which will probably take me an age. I've got Chaos Dwarfs at the ready, the last of the metal Ghouls, and yet another bloody elf!  ;D

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #416 on: March 02, 2024, 01:15:27 AM »
That gem is delightfully shiny! Nice work!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #417 on: March 04, 2024, 11:10:48 AM »
That gem is delightfully shiny! Nice work!

Thanks! I honestly love painting gemstones - they're my favourite part of these classic models.

I've noticed in recent years that there's been a change in the accepted method of how the top painters do gems (the big Youtubers, especially). But I still follow the tried and tested, 1990s Mike McVey method, with a bit of gloss varnish at the end, and I doubt I'll ever change.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 10:57:10 AM by psyberwyche »

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #418 on: March 04, 2024, 03:14:16 PM »
A lovely little lady indeed!  :-*
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #419 on: March 07, 2024, 10:56:28 AM »
Another Chaos champion done (cor, a flurry of activity on the painting table just lately!)

I wasn't quite sure which Chaos God this guy worshipped at first - he seems to come from the age of "Chaos in all its forms" miniatures. Despite his sylph-like figure, I settled on Khorne, due to the bones and massive sword.

I really like this old mini, despite it being another of the "Why are all the edges rounded?" brigade.