Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:59:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693568
  • Total Topics: 118545
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TYW Imperial Dragoons  (Read 9477 times)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: TYW Imperial Dragoons
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »
Marvelous stuff.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
Michel: it's interesting that you should focus on the sergeants. Originally, there was only supposed to be one, but Brian was so pleased with the first one that he made another. Both figures are split at the waist. The one wearing shoes will have a Perry dragoon lower half, the one in boots probably a Bicorne one. Both have torsos taken from Foundry ECW pack ECW55. Both had head swaps, new left arms and their right arms moved. Brian actaully had plans for alternate figures based on ECW55. One interesting one was to make a quartermaster based on the figure preaching with a book (presumably a bible) in his left hand. Another was a man writing with a quill pen on a note in his left hand.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2020, 10:14:24 AM »
Paul,

Can I ask over what time scale did this collection take to come to fruition I note your comment re seeing some conversions on Phil Olley's site.
Can I also ask were there any line drawings or sketches for Brian and you to go through for approval purposes.
Like most of the other commentators on this thread I am in awe of this collection I can easily say I have seen none better.

Willie

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
Exquisite conversion and exquisite painting  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »
Hi Willie,

That's very kind. I first commissioned Brian in 2011. He would supply line drawings for some figures, I would tell him what I had in mind for some, he would just come up with some. As far as I'm aware Brian dropped out of the hobby some time ago and since then I've used other sculptors, some successfully, some not. With the other sculptors I usually outline what I would like done to each figure and sometimes I do a bit of the conversion work myself, like cutting figures at the waist and joining the bits. The sculptors then have the job of trying to cover up the Frankenstein monsters I've created.

Perhaps the question which you all have in mind at this point but which everyone has been too polite to ask is, why do this? I'm not sure I can really answer that one.

All the best,

Paul

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
 Actually, if anyone is interested in examples of Brian's drawings, they should look at 'A Military Gentleman of the Eighteenth Century' by John Ray.  John has an unbelievable collection of mid- eighteenth century figures and the book is full of colour plates of John's figures, but it's also full of examples of Brian's drawings. As I understand it, John commissioned Brian in a different way from me. John would commission Brian to come up with drawings and then John would sculpt and cast his own figures using Brian's drawings for inspiration. I'm afraid I'm a million miles away from having the skill to do that.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2020, 07:25:34 AM »
Perhaps the question which you all have in mind at this point but which everyone has been too polite to ask is, why do this? I'm not sure I can really answer that one.

I had just assumed that it was because you had a real passion for that 'period' of military history. Which is obvious. I have to admit that been gawping at these Dragoons thinking "Should I?".

I almost certainly couldn't afford it but if I could reach the high degree of expertise involved with the sculpting (and painting!) I would almost certainly give it a go.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »

I think there are 3 problems with doing what I'm doing. The first is the cost of having figures converted and painted. The second is the time it takes to build up a unit - the arrangement I have with the sculptors is that they must put commercial work first. The third is that, having gone down this route, you'll never be completely happy with a figure straight out of the packet again - you'll always see a conversion possibility. Although I've never bought any, perhaps the best option at the beginning is to try a period where there are good plastic sets available. Some people on this forum seem to achieve really marvellous results themselves with the plastic sets and I'm sure it's much easier and quicker and cheaper to convert plastic than it is metal figures - after all, they already come in bits!

It really depends upon what you want out of the hobby. If you want to build up an army quickly to game with, then this probably isn't the route for you. If, however, like me you're really a collector, and you can be happy with a smaller collection built up gradually, then why not collect something that's a bit different? And if you also like the idea of pushing yourself a bit and trying some sculpting, then why not give it a go? I'm completely ham-fisted and yet now I will cut figures about to get them ready for the sculptor to work his magic.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »
Hi Paul,

It was the John Ray book that kind of raised the question on the drawings.Your journey with this collection would I'm sure make a good book.

Willie

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2020, 09:28:38 AM »
My goodness, it would.
Paul, you need to turn this journey of building a completely unique collection into a book. What a visual treat that would be  :)

I completely understand your motivation to create something unique, original and beautiful within your chosen hobby sphere. This is precisely the appeal and the distinct advantage of plastic figures to me. As you rightly point out, the possibilities for creating original and good looking unique figures from plastic components (well, the better ones anyway, because there are some frankly terrible 28mm plastic figure kits out there too), are immense. In fact, with a little bit of vision and some basic modelling skills, you can create unique figures that are visually more pleasing than many sculptors can achieve for themselves working from scratch. That’s quite an easy thing to do using plastic figures. The fact that you’ve undertaken essentially the same process working from metal figures, adapted one by one by a sculptor to your specification, and then painted by some of the top miniatures painters in the hobby, is really quite an astonishingly ambitious achievement.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »

Paul, you need to turn this journey of building a completely unique collection into a book. What a visual treat that would be  :)

100%.

That would be a real treat.

I know Charles at Helion is very into the TYW. Probably worth a punt if you feel like doing it?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2020, 09:51:18 AM »
100%.

That would be a real treat.

I know Charles at Helion is very into the TYW. Probably worth a punt if you feel like doing it?

I vote for it, too!!! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2020, 10:33:19 AM »
john Ray's book (and collection!) is a beaut.' - I bought a copy for my brother.

best wishes for anything you might produce in that line.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2020, 10:41:55 AM »
 :o :o :o Holy WOW !!  :-* :-* :-* :-* just came across this, got to the end then immediately reread the entire thread....jaw on the floor level of wonder....a superb example of supreme talents combined with a passion for the hobby....congratulations on your wonderful collection and thanks for sharing it
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2020, 10:46:04 AM »
I think there are 3 problems with doing what I'm doing. The first is the cost of having figures converted and painted. The second is the time it takes to build up a unit - the arrangement I have with the sculptors is that they must put commercial work first. The third is that, having gone down this route, you'll never be completely happy with a figure straight out of the packet again - you'll always see a conversion possibility. Although I've never bought any, perhaps the best option at the beginning is to try a period where there are good plastic sets available. Some people on this forum seem to achieve really marvellous results themselves with the plastic sets and I'm sure it's much easier and quicker and cheaper to convert plastic than it is metal figures - after all, they already come in bits!

It really depends upon what you want out of the hobby. If you want to build up an army quickly to game with, then this probably isn't the route for you. If, however, like me you're really a collector, and you can be happy with a smaller collection built up gradually, then why not collect something that's a bit different? And if you also like the idea of pushing yourself a bit and trying some sculpting, then why not give it a go? I'm completely ham-fisted and yet now I will cut figures about to get them ready for the sculptor to work his magic.

Stunningly beautiful figure conversions and painting. Inspiring stuff! I have always converted some of my figures, mainly plastic, but some metals and rarely resin figures. Currently, I'm working on a 28mm WW2 Canadian unit for Bolt Action (Plastic Late War British Inf set) with a few conversions 8 figures converted out of an understrength platoon of 25 figures. I tend to look at a standard "box set" or battalion and draw on inspiration from source materials and think "can I make that scene or represent that action". I then go with that scene in mind and convert. The trick is ensuring realistic pose of the figures especially in carrying out a fluid action. Inspiring stuff Paul, well thought out, superb painting from Kevin and great conversions from Brian. Just brilliant and thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:47:36 AM by TheDilfy »
Climber, Motorbiking, Board gaming and Wargaming