Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691952
  • Total Topics: 118427
  • Online Today: 656
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 20-23mm ww2 Normandy Long term work in progress  (Read 10714 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 20-23mm ww2 Normandy Long term work in progress
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2016, 08:57:13 PM »
TOnight I'll post new pics of the final jeep with stowage, you'll see that it's an even better fit ;)

The secret is to carefully customize the figures, cutting this or that. If you need help I'll explain in details on next vehicle.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »
Here's the final, final jeep and trailer  lol

Last modifications on the jeep the obvious purpose is to make the vehicle look bigger so it "works" better with the figures.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 11:03:19 PM »
thank you !

I completed the gmc truck, almost at least since I still need to add the driver's doors. It was a painfull building, too much tiny parts for my own taste. In the future I will definitly use fast kits and resins when it will be possible   lol

I closed the rear part of the truck, wich will be painted in black, or greenstuffed to look like tarpolin. I don't want to spend too much time on a supplies truck. The driver cockpit will be closed also, to save time on customizing drivers figures, paint interior, etc...

Last pic with the jeep :

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »
Here's tonight progress, basing the truck and adding first details. Tommorow I'll add the greenstuff details (winch cable, straps, tarpaulin, canvas door on back side).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 11:56:29 PM »
I completed the gmc truck, almost at least since I still need to add the driver's doors. It was a painfull building, too much tiny parts for my own taste. In the future I will definitly use fast kits and resins when it will be possible   lol

IIRC Pegasus does a two per box, fast assembly US Truck... I don't remember the exact model though.

Quoi qu'il en soit, très beau travail sur cette jeep et ce camion! 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »
I know, but when I bought the truck they were not available anywhere in france, and this one was available in a local store ;)

thanks for the comments !

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »
truck detailing is completed   :)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
Vehicles are almost ready to paint !

Forget about dust, it dried outdoor, it's superficial...

What is not superficial,is the big glue blurp on the windscreen...Bad model preparation   :-X

I also primerpainted the jeep and trailer :

I'm very happy with the result, with base and stowage, and figures conversions. I really like the look of the figures too. I also reinforced the passenger carbine barrel, not very aesthetic but usefull for gaming, since the barrel was quite exposed.

Now I'll finish basing and figures preparation to start painting as soon as possible. I will also fix the truck windshield defect.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 01:00:07 PM »
Very nice progress.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2016, 10:41:46 PM »
thank you !

the us core battlegroup is completed : a paper strenght (or so) platoon, with loads of supports : a sherman platoon, a AT battery, MMG teams, bazooka teams, mortars, and a couple of supplies vehicles.

Depanding the game, it can represent bigger forces of course, that's why I built so much support units.

Now I still need to work on the 81mm mortar, all other figures are ready to be painted. I also have to add some texture on bases, of course.

Once this primary force will be done, I will go on germans and also finish the other vehicles I have for the us force (halftrack to motorize the platoon, and a couple of M10s : the M36 will be for another theatre).

to be continued ;)

Offline z1pp132002

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2016, 07:41:02 AM »
Brilliant work!!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
I thought you said this was a long term project?
You are fairly battering on with it
Very nice work I bought a box of those figures when they first came out but never used them as I thought there were way too big and wouldn't work with all the other stuff I have.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
 :D

It's still a long term work, 2 armies to complete and scenery too !  lol

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »
Thank you both !

Tonight I full completed the force, adding a few details on the scratch build 81mm mortar (parts of US and german mortars) :

Tommorow I'll primer paint them.

Since I had my sculpting tools in the hands, I also made a little experiment :

It's a revell russian  body (wich is pretty tall), with a sculpted bigger head. Forget about the helmet shape, it would need more work, but it gives you an idea of what it would look like in terms of proportions. What do you think ? Personaly I think it works.

What's the point of this experiment ? Seeing if it would be possible to put a non-valiant soviet army versus a valiant german army, without being too odd on the tabletop.

Since I had some americans left from yesterday, I made some comparison shots :

I would probably not mix them in the same army, but I don't think it's so shoking, visually, to think that I could put these 2 styles of figures on the same tabletop.

I already know that with some basing trick and head swap, I could also use PSC russians if needed. Not perfect, but once again, it's not a matter of mixing them in the same army, just having a decent look in the game (like the 1st photo) :

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:47:19 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 01:00:25 AM »
A few more hours of googling and thinking, I am wondering when did I became so finicky with size and scale   ??? ;D

I never asked myself for such things, I just bought, paint and play what I liked. Mixing libminis with italeri, elhiem with caesar or S&S, ral partha with metalmagic, ikore with gw. Etc, etc... Of course, always doing my best for a consistant look, but without going mad for a few millimeters (like I'm currently going with my WW2 entry  ::) ).

So I decided to just do the same in WW2, there is no reason to not do the same I did for all my other wargaming projects.   :`