Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692243
  • Total Topics: 118448
  • Online Today: 674
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 395300 times)

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
Re: Frostgrave - Rules (Questions, Errata, Clarifications)
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2015, 01:44:04 AM »
Thanks guys! I spent and hour going through all twenty pages here... and somehow I totally missed those!

Offline Figouze

• Scientist
« Reply #301 on: August 23, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »

Question 1 :
Perhpas it was answered but ... If I use a elemental ball, it will be a +5 shoot action on an area but if I improve my wizard shoot skill from +0 to +1, it will be a +6 shoot attack ?

Question 2 :
What is the use of time walk for the chronomancer ? I move in my first action, cast time walk in my second action.
Then, I may activate a second time this turn. So I may move in my first action and then cast any spell...
In fact, it is just another move action, isn't it or I don't see the use ?

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »

Question 1 :
Perhpas it was answered but ... If I use a elemental ball, it will be a +5 shoot action on an area but if I improve my wizard shoot skill from +0 to +1, it will be a +6 shoot attack ?

Question 2 :
What is the use of time walk for the chronomancer ? I move in my first action, cast time walk in my second action.
Then, I may activate a second time this turn. So I may move in my first action and then cast any spell...
In fact, it is just another move action, isn't it or I don't see the use ?

1) No.  Shoot stat is not involved in shooty spells.

2) Yup, it's pretty much just a second move action as it currently stands.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2015, 05:32:04 PM »
2) Yup, it's pretty much just a second move action as it currently stands.

And another potential 'group activation', for any soldiers in range of the caster, no?

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline pulpgoblin

• Assistant
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2015, 08:42:12 PM »
And another potential 'group activation', for any soldiers in range of the caster, no?

The rules for group activation explicitly state that it can only be done in the wizard and apprentice phases.

The rules for Time Walk explicitly state your second wizard activation can only be taken in the soldier phase, so I suspect no group activation there.

This one seems to come up a lot - "its just an extra move action".  And I *still* haven't managed to find time to actually play - but, it should be possible to Group Activate your Wizard, along with 1-3 of your soldiers.  Then Group activate your Apprentice and 1-3 soldiers (I believe the rules indicate that a model may not be activated multiple times by group activating your Wizard then your Apprentice).

If the Wizard and Apprentice use their move action to get into good cover, then cast Time Walk on themselves (assuming both spells "go off") you've activated 2-6 of you dudes, and hidden your casters who will get to go again later in the turn, so whilst it is "just another move action", it can be used to delay your Wizard/Apprentice turns until later in the turn,  after seeing what the enemy is doing (which may in itself be enough to put your opponent(s) on the defensive) whilst getting your soldiers activated early.

And whilst you cant cast Time Walk whilst using Time Store, there appears to be no obstacle to the reverse - using Time Store to take your "just an extra move action" and storing it for later use, when it might be of more tactical utility (getting into a better position to support your Soldiers,getting into a position with LoS for a spell you *need* to cast *now* not next turn if your dudes live that long, getting too/getting a crucial treasure off the table, etc).  Of course that means you don't get to move when you cast Time Store in the Soldier Phase following Time Walk, but if you're already well hidden, you'll be ok :)  (Is everyone confused yet.  I *think* I kept it all straight...).

Or maybe I'm just crazy  o_o

Offline TheBrokenCage

• Student
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
I've heard mixed theories on how the basic attack process works, please tell me which is correct.

Assume the following - Both models fighting are the same with 10 Armour, +2 fight, and +1 Dmg on their weapon.

A) I roll a natural 10, I add my Fight (2) and then my Dmg (1) to get a total of 13. This beats my opponent who rolled a natural 8, added his fight (2) and damage (1) for total of 11. Consequently I win, his armour absorbs 10 damage, so his model takes 3 points of damage.

B) I roll a natural 10, I add my fight (2) for a total of 12. My opponent rolls 9, add his fight (2) for a total of 11. Consequently I win the fight, so I add my +1 damage to my modified roll to get to 13. Opponents armour absorbs 10 so he takes 3 damage.

C) I roll a natural 8, I add my fight (2) for a total of 10. My opponent rolls 7, add his fight (2) for a total of 9. Consequently I win the fight. However, my modified roll of 10 is not enough to beat his armour so I do not add my +1 Damage, and the attack is nullified.

Thanks

www.jimmiwazere.wordpress.com

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2015, 01:40:47 PM »
I've heard mixed theories on how the basic attack process works, please tell me which is correct.

Assume the following - Both models fighting are the same with 10 Armour, +2 fight, and +1 Dmg on their weapon.

A) I roll a natural 10, I add my Fight (2) and then my Dmg (1) to get a total of 13. This beats my opponent who rolled a natural 8, added his fight (2) and damage (1) for total of 11. Consequently I win, his armour absorbs 10 damage, so his model takes 3 points of damage.

B) I roll a natural 10, I add my fight (2) for a total of 12. My opponent rolls 9, add his fight (2) for a total of 11. Consequently I win the fight, so I add my +1 damage to my modified roll to get to 13. Opponents armour absorbs 10 so he takes 3 damage.

C) I roll a natural 8, I add my fight (2) for a total of 10. My opponent rolls 7, add his fight (2) for a total of 9. Consequently I win the fight. However, my modified roll of 10 is not enough to beat his armour so I do not add my +1 Damage, and the attack is nullified.

Thanks

www.jimmiwazere.wordpress.com

It's B.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline TheBrokenCage

• Student
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »
It's B.

See that's what I thought but there's a big discussion going on facebook about it with several different interpretations.

Could use an official response :)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2015, 02:53:15 PM »
It's B.

Make your attack roll and your fight and any other modifiers. Determine which figure has won. Take the winning attack roll including the, including modifiers, add or subtract any damage modifiers, then subtract the losers Armour. The total, if positive, equals the damage.

Offline Chrisbburn

• Lurker
« Reply #309 on: August 24, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
Am I missing something with the Imaiginary soldier spell. Too me you cant do much with it and as you have to inform your opponent of such a model wont they just ignore it completely?

I am being a bit short sighted to the uses of such a spell. when i first read it I though it would be a secret and then if your opponent attacked it you reveled it to be an illusion but the FAQ suggests differently.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #310 on: August 24, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
Do a search for illusionary soldier. There is a thread dedicated to it's use, some of which are very clever :)

Offline Lfseeney

• Schoolboy
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2015, 04:23:35 AM »
Just making sure I have this correct.

Wizard phase

My Wizard and up to 3 with in 3" may activate.

I can chose to Group Activate.
The Group does Move Action, then each can do second action, in any order.
If I move three Figures into Close Combat, with the same Figure.
Then I would be Attacking with one Figure at +4 as there are two Figures assisting.

If I do a Group Activation, of three Thugs, They move forward then attack.
Did the Wizard/App. have to Move with them or just direct them.

Or I can Activate each Figure on its own.

If I do each Figure on it's own.
I can Move a Figure into Close Combat, then Attack.  Correct?
Then Move a second Figure into the Same Close Combat. Correct?
Would the Second Figure get an Assist, from the first, or as the first attacked already would it not?
What about the 3rd Figure?

Thanks all, trying to be sure we are reading this as intended.
Have to check as I have other rulesets creep into my mind sometimes.

Oh and a Wizard really would never want to raise shoot as it does not help with any spells correct?

Lee

Offline tys123

• Assistant
« Reply #312 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »
Regarding increasing your shooting skill.
Just because it doesn't effect your spells doesn't make it a bad idea.

If you take bone dart from an allied school you need a 10 to cast it.

It is perfectly reasonable to then spend 5 levels so you need a 5+.
That means you need a 5+ to do a 5+ non magical shooting attack.

If you put those 5 levels into shooting instead and give your wizard a bow then you get the same 5+ shooting attack without having to roll a 5+ first.

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #313 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:10 PM »
With regard to group activation and combat, my understanding is, you could move the 3 figures in the example into combat as their first action in a group activation and then each could attack in turn for their second action, starting with +4 modifier for the first, depending how that turns out the second could attack and then the third with modifiers for any survivors.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #314 on: August 25, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »
If you put those 5 levels into shooting instead and give your wizard a bow then you get the same 5+ shooting attack without having to roll a 5+ first.

Yes, but you don't get experience for shooting a bow (in itself) like for successfully casting a spell.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84