Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:58:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694100
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731098 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6720 on: June 18, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
I've been working the launch all weekend ( in a tin lined railway arch with no windows, no air conditioning and no wind, with 80 magic players on site...It has been very very hot...) and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.
It's actually quite unnerving to have warhammer fans tell you how happy they are with games workshop.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FunkyBrush

• Scientist
    • FunkyBrush's Painting Blog
« Reply #6721 on: June 19, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
I thought that was a new spray paint until I clicked the link.

Same here. Terrible choice of name lol
http://miniatures-painting.blogspot.com/

What a fascinating modern age we live in

Offline powerfrog99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #6722 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
...and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.
It's actually quite unnerving to have warhammer fans tell you how happy they are with games workshop.

I have read quite a few similar comments these days, looks like they finally found out that by just smashing an old system you don't get the best press...
These days it's Wargods and Warhammer Armies Project I am working on !

Check out my gallery here on LAF
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #6723 on: June 19, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »

I'm looking forward to it. Just wish Games Workshop and Dark Sphere would get around to shipping my pre-orders.  :-)

[Edit]
Yeah, Games Workshop order arrived and Dark Sphere is on the way (delayed by failure of GW to deliver items to Dark Sphere).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:22:30 PM by AfricanAl »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6724 on: June 19, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
My 8th ed arrived just now  :D

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6725 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Four classic bloodbowl teams are coming back through made to order next week for one week only - link

Vampires, ogres, wood elves and halflings.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6726 on: June 20, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
lol, just bought the wood elves here on LAF. Really want the goblin team to turn up on there but I doubt it will.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6727 on: June 21, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
I think 8th Ed 40K looks interesting, the Nurgle lads look fantastic and the giant marines have grown on me.
I am surprised GW haven't released any datasheets to go with the free to download core rules. Would it not make sense to have something like normal marines and Orks so people can have a quick go, see if they like the rules.
Otherwise, whats the point?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6728 on: June 21, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
They won't likely be repeating the AoS approach of free unit rules (they only did that trying to salvage the debacle that was killing off their entire world and generally pissing off the entire Warhammer Fantasy community).  40K sells more than enough to not need the nibble of free units.  It'd be nice, but completely unnecessary.  40K is one of the few games that will sell, regardless of quality, etc.

Space Marine products and the starter box is almost as good as printing money for GW.  I'm not complaining, just saying I don't think we'll see much free.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6729 on: June 21, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
I think I quite like the rules but bugger me if GW doesn't have a knack for vague wording. One example that jumped out at me was for Ogryns in transports:

"Each ogryn takes the space of three other models."

Does this mean an ogryn takes three or four spaces? As in, "This Ogryn is a big dude and takes up three seats where other models would only take up one" OR "Here's an Ogryn sitting in a seat, but he's also taking up the seats of three other guys".

Why not just say "[in transports] an Ogryn counts as 3 [or four, whatever] models"? Even "Each Ogyrn takes the space of three [or four...] models" is clearer. The 'other' is what messes it up.

I'm pretty sure it's three. But who knows. lol

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6730 on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
They won't likely be repeating the AoS approach of free unit rules (they only did that trying to salvage the debacle that was killing off their entire world and generally pissing off the entire Warhammer Fantasy community).  40K sells more than enough to not need the nibble of free units.  It'd be nice, but completely unnecessary.  40K is one of the few games that will sell, regardless of quality, etc.

Space Marine products and the starter box is almost as good as printing money for GW.  I'm not complaining, just saying I don't think we'll see much free.
I wasn't saying they should release all details for all of their figures, just some examples so you can try the rules or even put them in white dwarf.
Seems pointless to have free rules but absolutely no stats so you can play them

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6731 on: June 21, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
Yep, they desperately need a technical editor with a mind toward wargaming.  It's not difficult for the main writer to sit down and develop cut-n-paste entries for stuff like this, which, history tells us, will be abused/questioned/rolled about in the tournament community.

The main rules writer (and/or technical editor) should have provided a template for most of the things necessary.  They also made the mistake like they did in 7th of giving dozens of units the same exact rules...and calling them something different, because "flavor"?  Numerous units have a deep strike ability and have it named dozens of different ways - even worded slightly differently in several entries.  This is just dumb.

I always tell people...Games Workshop has never written a brilliant rule set.  They've made a lot of fun ones, but no one has ever read a rule set from GW and thought "this is technically brilliant!".  Never, ever. :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6732 on: June 21, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »
I wasn't saying they should release all details for all of their figures, just some examples so you can try the rules or even put them in white dwarf.
Seems pointless to have free rules but absolutely no stats so you can play them

Luckily for the casual gamer, almost all of the rules for all of the units have been leaked online already, so the community took care of that for them. :D  (also, I believe the intent is to perhaps include the rules sheet within the new model boxes, so that might be a way to introduce brand-new-gamer-Johnny to how the game works?)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6733 on: June 21, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
...also, I believe the intent is to perhaps include the rules sheet within the new model boxes, so that might be a way to introduce brand-new-gamer-Johnny to how the game works?

Well, that might work.

Back in the day, I always felt slightly disappointed with the boxed sets I bought; a styrofoam tray, some metal and plastic components and that was it. No fluff, no how to, no flavor, not even a small leaflet! (Although there usually were some waterslide transfers).

I loved the models, but I would have liked some more cool pictures to gawk at. And with the more complicated plastics of today, at least an instruction leaflet would be appreciated, but adding rules would certainly make a box more interesting for young buyers.

The first Warmachine starter boxes were like that; with a huge rules sheet and stat cards for all the included units. That made the entire experience more involved immediately.

I can imagine that this GW line with the cheap and easy starter models in highstreet stores, (which should have been long available by now, but I haven't seen a single one so far) will have some extra printed material included, as the goal of those is to draw new customers in.

Did those ever happen, or was that just a threat btw?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6734 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »
If you're talking about the somewhat bizarre Battle of Vedros set...it happened, kinda?

It was a re-hash of old starter set plastics (Battle for Black Reach?) molded in coloured plastic - though some weren't?  Anyway, they planned on selling this in non-game stores.  When they announced it in the US they mentioned places like Hobby Town USA, even Ace Hardware.  I don't think it ever caught on.  You can find the stuff on eBay etc. but it's actually quite pricey.  I was excited at the prospect of cheap GW stuff I could pick up for my nephew, but it never really happened.