Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 08:33:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692362
  • Total Topics: 118455
  • Online Today: 517
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Started with the Mexican-American War - Goonhammer Historicals  (Read 1195 times)

Offline muggins

• Assistant
  • goonhammer.com
    • Goonhammer
I did some sleuthing to find as much as I could about the Mexican-American War (it's my current 28mm project) - rules, minis, history, geography, politics, etc. and put them in a series of two posts that I want to be a great starting point for anyone interested in gaming the conflict. Check it out!

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-getting-started-the-mexican-american-war-part-one/

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-getting-started-the-mexican-american-war-part-two/

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
Re: Getting Started with the Mexican-American War - Goonhammer Historicals
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 04:29:31 PM »
Excellent information on your blog. Thanks for posting.

Offline muggins

• Assistant
  • goonhammer.com
    • Goonhammer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 06:39:58 PM »
Excellent information on your blog. Thanks for posting.

Thanks a ton! I have enjoyed doing this research immensely.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 07:59:31 PM »
Great summary. Enjoyed reading it.

Always fancied this period but I'm a 28mm guy and I'm not a fan of the offerings from 1st Corps or OG.
So I guess it's one less lead pile for now.

Keep up the good work.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 04:08:47 AM »
Superb summary, really interesting conflict and certainly one I would like to do one day, plenty of info in your posts. :)

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 04:25:19 AM »
I played several games using Santa Anna Rules. Very enjoyable, we used 28mm figures. I think they would work for 15mm.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30458/santa-anna-rules-warfare-mexico-1820-1870-volume-1

Offline muggins

• Assistant
  • goonhammer.com
    • Goonhammer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 04:40:53 AM »
I played several games using Santa Anna Rules. Very enjoyable, we used 28mm figures. I think they would work for 15mm.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30458/santa-anna-rules-warfare-mexico-1820-1870-volume-1

I have to definitely check them out - to be honest I'm very familiar with Sharp Practice so I haven't stepped out of my safe zone so much.

Thanks to all who have commented!

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 06:48:49 AM »
Really enjoyed reading your blog! Great to see some interest in MAW.

I am inching towards completing a northern theatre project using mainly Eurekas and the Old Glory/Blue Moon range:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=137837.0

Since I started, Eureka have released Mexican Zapadores, which helps round out the range.

Please tell us more about your Mexican adventures!

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 12:55:36 PM »
Two excellent blog entries, thanks.

A few comments: The fortress at Vera Cruz fell before Yellow Fever season started. If it had held out longer Scott's army would have been debilitated by disease.
As cheap as Congress was, the U.S. Army was fielded by a wealthy country, and had up-to-date equipment. The Mexican Army was that of a bankrupt nation. The French intervention started because Mexico was deeply in debt to Europeans.
Last, the U.S. Army had a tradition of submitting to civilian rule, the opposite of the Mexicans. Mexican officers were astounded when Scott obeyed a letter from President Polk firing him after the war ended. They were amazed he didn't just declare himself the local ruler.

I've always been interested in this war. But my apartment is nearly full of books, figures and terrain. And I'm long in the tooth.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Doug E

• Assistant
Muggins, excellent job, I thorougly enjoyed reading the blog posts.  Very informative, and you were spot on with your descriptions of the political climate in the U.S. at the time.

My Texan national pride compels me to address a couple of your comments, though. 

The U.S. did not take Texas from Mexico.  Texans took Texas from Mexico.  They may have mostly immigrated from the U.S. but were in no way acting as agents for the US government.  (In fact, many of them might have come to Texas to escape lawmen, creditors, or in-laws in the US.)  And it wasn't just the "Anglos", there were a fair number of "Hispanic" Texans who also fought for independence, just as there were wars for independence going on in other Mexican states.

Of course "assistance" came from the US, but it was a very small amount of assistance and was as likely coming from private sources as governmental ones.  How many countries at war don't get at least some assistance from other countries?  And how much more so in cases of Revolution?  The political climate of which you spoke can attest to the fact the public and the Congress would not permit the US to take Texas or anything else from Mexico.

Texas itself was just as divided on whether or not to seek admission to the U.S. and remained an independent Republic for almost a decade after winning independence.  During that time, Texas (without help from the U.S.) had to repulse several attempts by Mexico to retake Texas by military force.

Which brings us to the southern border and the Rio Grande River - but that's another discussion for another time.

--

Again, thanks for the links to the blog posts.  You mention wanting to do something along the lines of the second French intervention - which I am anxious to know more about how that's going.

Are you familiar with the Battle of Camaron?  I'm curious to see how that could be played on the tabletop.  Presumably, each Legionaire would be able to take cover behind two large steel spherical objects.
Inara: It sounds like something this crew can handle. I can't guarantee they'll handle it particularly well, but...
Nandi: If they've got guns and brains at all...
Inara: They've got guns.

Offline muggins

• Assistant
  • goonhammer.com
    • Goonhammer
Muggins, excellent job, I thorougly enjoyed reading the blog posts.  Very informative, and you were spot on with your descriptions of the political climate in the U.S. at the time.

My Texan national pride compels me to address a couple of your comments, though. 

The U.S. did not take Texas from Mexico.  Texans took Texas from Mexico.  They may have mostly immigrated from the U.S. but were in no way acting as agents for the US government.  (In fact, many of them might have come to Texas to escape lawmen, creditors, or in-laws in the US.)  And it wasn't just the "Anglos", there were a fair number of "Hispanic" Texans who also fought for independence, just as there were wars for independence going on in other Mexican states.

Of course "assistance" came from the US, but it was a very small amount of assistance and was as likely coming from private sources as governmental ones.  How many countries at war don't get at least some assistance from other countries?  And how much more so in cases of Revolution?  The political climate of which you spoke can attest to the fact the public and the Congress would not permit the US to take Texas or anything else from Mexico.

Texas itself was just as divided on whether or not to seek admission to the U.S. and remained an independent Republic for almost a decade after winning independence.  During that time, Texas (without help from the U.S.) had to repulse several attempts by Mexico to retake Texas by military force.

Which brings us to the southern border and the Rio Grande River - but that's another discussion for another time.

--

Again, thanks for the links to the blog posts.  You mention wanting to do something along the lines of the second French intervention - which I am anxious to know more about how that's going.

Are you familiar with the Battle of Camaron?  I'm curious to see how that could be played on the tabletop.  Presumably, each Legionaire would be able to take cover behind two large steel spherical objects.

I appreciate your feedback! I definitely agree, it wasn't a gov't sanctioned thing - but my reading indicates that when Mexico stopped letting people settle from the USA (mostly from southern states, bringing enslaved people), and outlawed slavery in Texas, it was completely ignored. More people from the USA kept coming. While it wasn't a US govt action, Americans took Texas, in my opinion. I can see your side, for sure.

I actually know almost nothing about the second French intervention - my knowledge of Mexican history is very very bad, unfortunately, which is why these projects have been so much fun - learning so much. I wish I knew Spanish!