Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 09:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692796
  • Total Topics: 118485
  • Online Today: 679
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Trolls for the Orc Army  (Read 36936 times)

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Trolls for the Orc Army
« Reply #285 on: May 05, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »
Beautiful work as always!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #286 on: May 08, 2024, 09:55:03 PM »
Those are looking great, nice add to deal with the cavalry for sure.

So you've been working on 15mm for about a year now eh? How's that going for you? How's the 15mm game system working for you? Still enjoying it? Better than 28s, or are you getting your 28s out regularly still as well?

good stuff,
n

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #287 on: May 09, 2024, 04:50:27 AM »
Interesting questions Neldoreth.

I’ve been enjoying the process of working on the 15mm fantasy armies- there’s something satisfying about putting together a new unit on a regular basis. I can do that with 28s too, but it doesn’t quite feel the same. I think it says something that I have been working on the 15s consistently- when I’m not into a project anymore I wander into something else…

As far as games, both 15mm and 28mm fantasy have been hypothetical for over a year. Nothing had hit the table since my 6mm stompy robot game almost a year ago. Oddly, I’m okay with that right now. The building and painting is giving me the sanity time I need! I’m confident that the figures will be on the table again at some point.

Offline Maceface

• Assistant
    • Mace Face Miniatures
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2024, 06:55:54 AM »
Love this project so much! Always keen to see more photos of your armies!

@macefaceminiatures

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #289 on: May 09, 2024, 08:06:56 AM »
Trolls are great. I think I have some of the larger reaper Ben Siens ones, very similar aesthetic.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #290 on: May 09, 2024, 04:01:45 PM »
Thanks fellows!

Beefcake, I completely agree about Ben Siens’ work, I generally like his sculpts a lot in both 15mm and 28mm. He also sculpted most (all?) of Splintered Light’s 15mm orcs and goblins. I have some of those on the go right now, to reinforce the goblins.

My biggest challenge at the moment is deciding which of the 3 armies to paint units for next - they’re all fun!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #291 on: May 09, 2024, 07:20:57 PM »
My biggest challenge at the moment is deciding which of the 3 armies to paint units for next - they’re all fun!
Dwarves. The answer is always Dwarves. No matter the scale or game.

Grimm

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #292 on: May 09, 2024, 08:00:39 PM »
Ha! There are, in fact, some dwarves in the painting queue (a few dozen of the Copplestone ones).

I’m holding off starting on them until I have at least two of the armies to the point where I feel they are complete enough to face off against each other. The orcs are nearly there, just need some uruks to back up the weedy snagas I’ve already painted. The barbarians need a bit more before they’ll be a stand-alone army- at a minimum, some cavalry. I could use my historical figures to provide some cavalry, of course, but I have the Copplestone figures in hand and just need to put some paint on them.

The other thing about the dwarves is that I want some archers to go with them and nothing I have seen yet quite fits (I’m aiming for a force like at the Battle of Five Armies, in the novel, not to movie - absolutely no dwarves riding mountain sheep or boars).  They need bows (no crossbows and no firearms), and ideally norse-styled equipment. The ones Khurasan makes are close, but I am unsure how close they are to the Copplestone guys in size… In a perfect world, Copplestone would miraculously release some!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 08:26:19 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #293 on: May 09, 2024, 08:47:19 PM »
They need bows (no crossbows and no firearms), and ideally norse-styled equipment. The ones Khurasan makes are close, but I am unsure how close they are to the Copplestone guys in size…
Dwarves with bows? Rare subject matter.
As for Jon, did you reach out? Maybe he has some Copplestone and can share some pics? If he doesn't, time to make an order then.
Tried Etsy?

Grimm

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #294 on: May 09, 2024, 09:28:27 PM »
It’s true that dwarves are far more often depicted with crossbows or firearms - GW took them in that direction early on and the imprint is quite widespread. I just reread the description of the Battle of Five Armies and the only mention of dwarf archery I could see was Thorin and company warning interlopers away from the gates. Presumably archers weren’t a big part of dwarven tactics (which makes sense if they’re usually fighting underground…)

That’s a good suggestion to contact Khurasan about the size (or just place a tester order, it’s not as if there is any shortage of tantalizing products on that website!). East Front Miniatures also makes some 15mm dwarf archers with bows (formerly East Riding Miniatures). The sculpting looks a little tougher than Khurasan’s but they might work with a careful paint job.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #295 on: Today at 03:52:21 AM »
Maybe some 3d prints?
I never looked into STLs too deeply but I imagine there's an ever increasing plethora of options out there, specifically for smaller scales.

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #296 on: Today at 09:31:23 AM »
Maybe some 3d prints?
I never looked into STLs too deeply but I imagine there's an ever increasing plethora of options out there, specifically for smaller scales.

Strangely classic, toned dowen, „tolkienesque“ dwarves (i.e. without steampunk elements, ridiculous beards and armor, mohawks etc.) seem to be rather rare. My interpretation is that most 3d sculptor offer alternatives to GW as these sell easily.
So wherever GW goes, 3d printing goes.

The hunt for suitable dwarf archers (scouts, militia etc.) goes on. For 28mm the old Nick Lund Fantasy Warriors range had suitable dwarf archers, but for 15mm it’s maybe the best idea to scan Mr Copplestone‘s 10mm dwarf archers abd print them in 15mm!  lol