Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691066
  • Total Topics: 118369
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp  (Read 12571 times)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2024, 07:27:31 AM »
What a brilliant build.  Eye candy at every step.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2024, 09:54:55 AM »
Cracking. It's interesting that as soon as you put a roof/floor over the room I start to wonder what shenanigans are going on in there...
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2024, 03:35:09 PM »
Today, because my work visit was finished way ahead of schedule, I had some time to tackle the chimney and upper floor fireplace (or what's left of it).

As below, I made a framework/skeleton of chipboard and then bricked around it. This fireplace was obviously ruined and only a part of the chimney from the one below is still standing. Somehow the rest of the fireplace is gone. That chimney part must have been built extra sturdy I suppose ;)

The ceiling/floor ended up warping after all (curved upwards in the middle), so I've set it aside for now with as much weight on top as I dare. Hopefully it will settle back into shape at least partially, as the gap it's leaving now is rather unsightly  :?

I've threatened to start on the upper floor walls several times now, but they're going to have to wait a bit longer still, as I am first going to construct the balcony on the corner (yes; that's happening). Then I can decide on the door shape and from there, the walls will finally be built :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2024, 11:18:30 PM »
Moving at a good pace now (before easter slows everything way down), I've roughed out the balcony. It's not fixed yet, so I still add nails etc, and it will also require a (partially broken?) railing and a peaked roof over it. We'll see about those later though.

The beam construction underneath was done with balsa, while the planks were a slightly thicker and sturdier type of coffee stirrer. I used some ornaments from the bits box for this one too. I believe they're from the OOP WHFB Watch Tower kit, but I'm not sure. Definitely GW though.

I will be adding small details from those kits here and there all over the build. Mainly to make it fit in with those, as I have a boat load of them lying around and I might as well use them for Frostgrave now...

On a different note; I received the Frostgrave Mortal Enemies expansion yesterday, and it details warbands attacking each other's bases. Turns out a base consists of (at least?) 4 rooms of approximately 6x6 inches. SO I might have to repeat this whole exersize three more times to create a fully rules compliant base.

I'm already thinking about this. (of course ::) ), and I could make three equally sized bases which can butt up to eachother and create a floor plan  of the entire house, with different rooms in distinct themes; a sleeping area, an armory/storage area and maybe a training ground, or stables? This should eventually be a seriously massive unit...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2024, 07:21:25 AM »
3 extra rooms like this one? Sounds good to me.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2024, 09:20:39 AM »
We're waiting....

The stonework looks absolutely brilliant. So much more work than just using a roller or drawing them in., but it really shows.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2024, 02:58:28 PM »
I love how you have done the windows and doorways; much more interesting than a simple horizontal lintel.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2024, 09:12:47 AM »
Even though easter was very busy with family visits and fraught with elaborate brunches and mountains of chocolate eggs, I did manage to get some stuff done, once the last relatives had left the grounds.

I actually had to stop at this point, as the walls were becoming too unstable with the glue still setting But I just had to pull myself away; I'm having too much fun stacking bricks and stones like this. Must be all the Lego-filled days of my youth ;)

Hopefully I can finally end the building phase this week and start on the detailing. A full month has passed already and I had planned on finishing this phase before the end of March. So I'm now officially behind schedule (as a good building project should ::) ), but luckily not too much; everything is still possible at this point... :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2024, 09:20:18 AM »
very nice progress :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2024, 11:36:01 AM »
On a different note; I received the Frostgrave Mortal Enemies expansion yesterday, and it details warbands attacking each other's bases. Turns out a base consists of (at least?) 4 rooms of approximately 6x6 inches. SO I might have to repeat this whole exersize three more times to create a fully rules compliant base.

You could argue this build is already 2 rooms (inside the room, and the roofless part 'outsidish', but another three equally sized bases does sound way better of course!  :D

I'm already curious to a picture with all the GW stuff to see how it all fits in together (for a Frostgrave table).

Great work all over!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2024, 08:44:53 PM »
More great progress.

With regards to the wall building, you could always use cocktail sticks to help bind the wall together while the glue dries. They'd also add strength to the wall.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2024, 08:04:23 AM »
ALmost finished the stone laying last night. The doorway to the balcony is done, but needs some more care, such as some filling stones and some cutting back, but this is the basic shape done.

There will be some slight building up, as I fudge my way into creating an awning/roof over the balcony. It will be a simple sadle type roof, with shingles, but this might well require some more hight to the wall it's attached to. There will probably be some remnant of the roof proper as well, depending on the space I have to maneuver.

Adding some spikes to improve stability/survivability seems like a good idea, but instead of cocktail sticks, I might resort to metal rods, because of the thickness (or lack thereof) of the walls :)

Chugging along...

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2024, 01:17:20 PM »
When I have seen this:

my first thought was "Jump!"
And now I have this image where the mage, after a successful mission, drunkenly boasts on the balcony, and his similarly intoxicated followers chant "Jump! Jump!" from below lol

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2024, 02:48:27 PM »
 lol

'Hold my beer'...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2024, 11:16:06 PM »
Tonight I managed to almost complete the balcony. Once it's dry, I can attach it to the ruin and lay the final stones to lock it in place. Which should conclude the masonwork!

The roof of the balcony will require some additional small work, such as attaching decorative side boards and the top ridge. There will be a small decorative element (I have the choice of several) as well.

One of the plastic decorative pieces on the balcony has already lost its hammer due to my hamfistedness, but that is still salvageable I reckon.

After that, I will have to finally lay down the tiled floors and then the rubble piles in three corners of the hallways. A lot of stones will end up on top of those as well, to suggest the collapse of the walls.

And then; back to the plasticard and the detailing!  :)