Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:50:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691834
  • Total Topics: 118423
  • Online Today: 684
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Standart GASLIGHT army???  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Standart GASLIGHT army???
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:29:33 AM »
While paintingand collecting figures for GASLIGHT (dont have rules yet. Firstly I want to finish 2 armies) I was wandering how many troops do I need. I heard that standart GASLIGHT army was 1 unit of infantry/cavalry (10 figs), 1 hero and 1 steam vehicle. But If I wish to use bigger force, how many troops do I need. I mean how big is standart BIG army you using in your games and how many maximum troops can be putted on game table (infantry, jagers, cavalry, artillery, steam tanks, boats or flyers). Hope you'll help :)

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
Re: Standart GASLIGHT army???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:19:37 AM »
For a typical evening of gaslight goodness I would recommend the following per side.

4 units of foot (10 figs )
1 - 2 units of cavalry
1 artillery piece
1 Steam tank or similar.
Hero and 2IC to command the lot.

That will keep you busy for a few hours.

Make sure you have a scenario. The game works better with some sort of objective rather than a stand up fight.

Also make sure infantry have anti tank weapon of some sort if you have a few tanks, e.g. sticky bomb or similar otherwise they will be pretty useless and just watch the tanks bashing each other or worse , end up as cannon fodder.

cheers

Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »
Thanx a lot for replying. Thas all I need  :) :) ;)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »
You NEED to have objectives and set out missions. Background is also really important.
GASLIGHT is boring on just a normal you set up and I set up basis. You have to use the rules as a way of running an idea you already have, not use GASLIGHT to give you ideas (necessarily), like other mass battle systems.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54:41 AM »
The most beardy combination I have faced  in my 2 games was a hero in an impervious suit with a flame thrower. Other than that, it seems really hard to cheese out a unit or individual. THey all have major weaknesses, which is great.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
The most beardy combination I have faced  in my 2 games was a hero in an impervious suit with a flame thrower. Other than that, it seems really hard to cheese out a unit or individual. THey all have major weaknesses, which is great.

I don't think 'beardy' is the right term, Overlord had never even looked at the rules before that game so had no idea that he was creating a monster  :P
It is rather powerful though, if it appears on the other side of the board from me I'll just hit it with artillery  :D
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Mansworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »

Have to agree that its a great system for fleashing out a game you want to play.

I would also add it is a game that requires a bit of background preperation. I usualy spend at least a evening before the game generating stats and writing up the game.

A game sheet is a must too. GASLIGHT is difficult to use straight from the book. I found a good rule sheet on the GASLIGHT yahoo group that I use.

I agree the vehicles in GASLIGHT can be very powerful. Not thought of equiping infantry with melee anti-tank weapons, Its a good idea.
Measure Twice
Cut once
Return to DIY store for new bit

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing, also. Having an anti-tank weapon or two with the foot sloggers is a good idea. Now I think of it, I do have one of Eureka's anarchist bomb-throwing nannies...  ;)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:30:15 AM »
I intend on my Anarchists having mostly AT weapons!  :)

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 01:08:57 AM »
Just a quick note on Gaslight.

A quick reference sheet is a must. Gaslight is great but it could do with a better edit and setup. Hopefully this will be rectified in the upcoming Gaslight Compendium.

The points system in Gaslight Battles is IMHO fairly poor. I would only use it as a guide to give evenly matched armies. Machine guns in particular are not expensive enough I think.

Some people prefer VSF(Valour Steel & Flesh) as it gives a nice background to the games similar to Evil empire (GW) games etc.  With Gaslight you do need to do a bit more work to add the necessary fluff. However if you are interested in Victorian Science Fiction then you probably already have enough inspiration for scenarios from the many books and films.

VSF seems to be exploding at the moment!

Cheers

Fuzzy.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »
I have a quite a few projects so for the moment I'm waiting for the Gaslight Compendium before taking the plunge and those models coming out of Russia.Once I have those I'll start something. :)

Christopher

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »
I don't think 'beardy' is the right term, Overlord had never even looked at the rules before that game so had no idea that he was creating a monster  :P
It is rather powerful though, if it appears on the other side of the board from me I'll just hit it with artillery  :D
It was pure chance that it was so powerful.  I just built it from bits from the spares box.  I might be 'beardy' but it wasnt.  :)
It could have been even worse....no-one told me Heroes get 2 actions until halfway through the game. ::)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388