Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:14:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Luftwaffe Squadron Markings  (Read 902 times)

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
Luftwaffe Squadron Markings
« on: October 01, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
Does anyone have a link to a guide to Luftwaffe squadron markings?  Trying to do up a couple of flights, and it's unclear if the numbers within a flight should be the same or different colors.  From what I've found, it appears that each aircraft within a flight of Bf 109s would be identified by different numbers in the same color, but a flight of Stukas would be identified by different letters.  Help!
-Tommy

Offline canonuk

• Student
Re: Luftwaffe Squadron Markings
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »
This should have everything you need:

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/markings.html

Regarding your observations though, yes, single-engined fighter aircraft had numbers with different colours for different Staffeln, whilst heavy fighters and bombers had letter/number combinations, also with different colours.

Anyway, the link explains it far more clearly than I'm doing here! :)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
Wow, that's a loaded question. It depends on time period, region, and plane types used. It isn't a straightforward topic but there is a load of info out there.

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
Good point!  I'm doing Battle of Britain with Wings of Glory airplanes.

The two Spitfires included in the starter (https://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww2-wings-of-glory-line/ww2-wings-of-glory-battle-of-britain-starter-set) are both from 610 squadron, and they have a "squadron pack" Spitfire that comes with decals for a number of other aircraft from that squadron.  So one could make up a good-sized flight of these from the same squadron.  Their Hurricanes are the same.  Easy peasy.

However, the two Bf109's have markings that appear to put them in different units (or at least different sub-units).  One has white numerals and nothing behind the cross, while the other has yellow numerals and a "squiggly" that puts it in the third gruppe (or staffel, still not clear on that).  The corresponding Bf109 "squadron pack" comes with both white and yellow numerals, as well as the "squiggly"s.  So as far as I can tell, I need to replace the markings on one of the starter aircraft to put them all in the same flight.

Also, they have a Stuka squadron pack which comes with the following options:

F1 AC (Green A)
S2 AH (White A)
F1 DP (Yellow D)
S2 AN (Red A)
S2 AC (Green A)

As near as I can tell, none of these aircraft would be in the same flight.  Right?  If so, I may have to source decals elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 05:42:59 AM »
Don't sweat it too much as aircraft from other flights could be 'borrowed' to make up the numbers for specific missions if  there were unserviceable aircraft. That also holds for the British to some extent too.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
Or you could go proper Hollywood Battle of Britain!!!

;)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 09:44:09 PM »
Works for me!  Thanks all!