Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695949
  • Total Topics: 118729
  • Online Today: 363
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ravenfeast Dark Ages Skirmish AAR  (Read 354 times)

Online Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Ravenfeast Dark Ages Skirmish AAR
« on: May 23, 2024, 01:13:38 PM »
Monday night (20th May) we tried the Ravenfeast set of rules, our Skirmish would be between a couple of warring Anglo Saxon Lords. We played a scenario featured in the rules called Back to the Boats.

The situation had a smaller force (blue) trying to exit the tabletop edge opposite to the one they were set up on with three groups of enemy (red), one to their front and the other two flanking them trying to stop them.

The blue war band tried the full charge straight ahead plan. They were able to reach the main red blocking force with the smaller red forces hot on their heels. The blue blocking force formed a central shield wall with ‘lighter’ warriors on its flanks, the red force attacked the flankers and broke through them. Unfortunately for the charging blue force the combat allowed the red flanking warriors to catch up and the combined red forces defeated the blue one.

The rules were easy to pick up and all of us were quickly across them and we only had to refer to the rulebook a couple of times, there was one situation not covered but we quickly sorted it between ourselves. Ravenfeast delivered a fast action packed game which we enjoyed. We will play these again and George is looking at setting up a large battle with his huge 15mm collection of Dark Ages forces.

Some pictures…

The red main war band in the foreground awaits the charge from their foes! Sharp eyed readers may notice since I don't have any painted Anglo Saxon archers so some suspiciously ancient Germanic looking guys are standing in!

The blue forces men attack avoiding the four man 'shield wall' the blue side had created and picked off easier targets hoping to break through to the exit area! Not sure you can form a shield wall with four blokes but I suppose the term adds character and perhaps they are just huddling close for support?

The blue Lord and a few of his war band break through the defensive line victory is in sight or is it…

The full AAR with more pictures and the OOBs is on the TSOG Blog…
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2024/05/ravenfeast-aar-scenario-back-to-boats.html
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline akrose

• Lurker
Re: Ravenfeast Dark Ages Skirmish AAR
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 01:39:07 PM »
That looks awesome!  Also perfect timing. I just hopped on to look up if anyone had used the Ravenfeast rules yet.  I just got them and waiting on the rest of my viking figure order to show up to try them out. 

Looking forward to seeing how your 15mm battle goes.

Thank you

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 01:59:43 PM »
Lovely stuff! I'm a big fan of Ravenfeast!
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 02:06:30 PM »
Yeah, they're a surprisingly good set of rules.
Enough tweaks and odd bits to keep them interesting.
Simple but enjoyable and easy to improvise if something comes up.