Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691952
  • Total Topics: 118427
  • Online Today: 656
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Drilling out Hotwheels Cars??  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Drilling out Hotwheels Cars??
« on: March 29, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »
Say, does anyone know what sized bit to use for drilling out the grommets on the bottom of Hot Wheels cars?  If I go too small I kill the post, too big, I make a bigger hole... BOO!

Any help is SUPER appreciated!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Drilling out Hotwheels Cars??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
If you have already removed the bottom of the car, measure the post underneath and use a drill to that diameter.

If you haven't got any like that then choose a drill just smaller than the rivet head and drill SLOWLY. If you drill slowly, the rivet head will come off at the point where the base hole of the car starts.

If you go too mad, you'll get a bigger hole...

I would suggest that they are all different and you would have to just go with a rough guess anyway... so care is the order of the day.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I wasn't sure if they used a standard sized post.

Cheers!

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
I used a 3mm bit in the cordless drill for mine.
A couple of seconds and NOT at high speed, was enough to cut the flange from the rivet and allow the lower body to pop right off the post.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:32:01 AM »
Yeah, 3mm bit but it took forever on mine and some went a little crazier than others.

I won't even lie, taking the cars apart was a pain in the hindquarters to me.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:34:56 AM »
Wow, way to set the bar!  Thank you so much for the inspiration.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
My suggestion would be to put the cars in a vice, use padding to project the sides and drill out the rivet. Not sure on standard sizes but should pose an issue tbh. ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:02:58 PM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:39:47 PM by Too Bo Coo »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
If you've a selection of bits then give it a go yourself and if you find the golden fleece of bit size then share. Another easy option in just dremmeling a cross cut and clipping the rivet sections off.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:03:31 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 01:00:03 AM »
Actually Vipe hotwheels cars are a bit like those soft plastic starwars miniatures. They have common uncommon and rare cars. Although they might all cost the same getting another one that is rated as rare will be a mission.

Add to that I want to know as much as this kid. I thought of drilling mine out to pop a driver and gunner in and bailed cus it looked difficult and I had no idea if it would work or how to do it right the first time.

Cut some slack like we did when we let you put a bet on after no more bets had been called.

Never saw the no bets post so happy for you to pull the plug on mine. Next time I drill some on mine I'll post pictures if they really are required.

(Sorry but years of restoring cars and I'm at a loss as to how drilling a rivet would pose a problem for anyone, but if you've not done it before, then I suppose it would require some thought....Prehaps buy some really cheap diecasts and practice)???

Cheers.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:04:17 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
Big lump of blu tac to secure the car if no vice and a big drill bit to take the top of the rivet off.

I hate sounding like an arse, but it really is simple, Try doing it 120 times on a '68 kit car, you'll soon get the knack of it!  :D

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:04:55 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »
Big lump of blu tac to secure the car if no vice and a big drill bit to take the top of the rivet off. I hate sounding like an arse, but it really is simple, Try doing it 120 times on a '68 kit car, you'll soon get the knack of it!

;)
I agree with the commander. Very simple job. I used a drill bit a lot bigger than the head of the rivet. Slow speed just to remove the head of the rivet. Go slowly and you can see where the rivet and the bottom of the car meet. Stop when its thin enough to pop off.
I have done loads and never had a problem. It is just about impossible to damage the car beyond repair.

Offline Weesparky

• Assistant
    • Fictional Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 12:47:19 PM »
Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
I have a good hobby/home sized Dremel and I picked up for this stuff, the GW vice.  I'm not crazy about their other 'hobby products' as they are just WAY too expensive, but at 12.00 the vise is small, light and cheap enough.

After I got an idea about the rivets it was all smooth sailing.  My real concern was seeing that I have some differently sized cars from them and I didn't want to get confident that they used a standard sized post/rivet then to start merrily drilling away and find out the hard way that they're not....

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 03:51:31 PM »
They're a ton easier to work with once they come apart.  So the truck I showed with the scoop, obviously the scoop did not come from that car.  I twas from a jeep, but without dismantling, it would have been a much bigger job with less to salvage afterwards.  I can still use the jeep for my outlanders gang command vehicle.

I agree that stripping down to bare metal, unless it was for a display piece, is overkill.  I'm content on a light primer to even out the color and prime the added lead and other bits, but the body itself is 'pre primed' as far as I see.

I've been eager to paint, so I've finished the two cycles I started and then the last touche on the third as well as some lawmen I'll post on the correct thread tonight.  Please let me know what you guys think.

I should get to the two trucks this week.  I have about 30 assorted drivers and gunners from a few vendors including some vintage GW.

I must say, the very best figs I've seen to date in this scale and for this genre come from the old GW...  They are absolutly fantastic.  I got 'lucky' to get my hands on a few unopened blisters.  They'll start appearing soon after the trucks....

Then I'll work on my Mad Max veh squad....