Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 12:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694423
  • Total Topics: 118606
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Wargames Atlantic medieval range  (Read 6043 times)

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
Re: New Wargames Atlantic medieval range
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2024, 08:18:45 PM »
They have mentioned Sergeants, Levy and cavalry sets. It seems they have been working with Andy and Paul for about a year so I would guess the planned sets will look to cover the basic troop types for the Barons War rules.

Should clarify that although they have been working with them I think it’s Rob Macfarlane who has sculpted the plastic sets.

Steve

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2024, 11:45:09 PM »
I think 1320 is pushing it! :?

Most of these lads would be looking very dated even into the later 1200s... Still, I suppose there's probably options on the sprue for equipping all with later helmets, and what's on the box is likely just to display an assortment of what you get within...

As surcoats seem very much to have been a 13th C and beyond thing, I suspect that 1150 is similarly optimistic.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2024, 11:59:45 PM »
I would like to see them do better with the swords. The hilts and pommels are rather formless and no fullers on the swords is a big miss too. I would rate them “mid”. :?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2024, 02:15:35 AM »
To be fair, if you view the photos of the sprues on their website, it looks like they have attempted to show fullers on at least some of the sword blades, although weirdly, it seems to show as a hollow on one side and then a rise on the other.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 08:49:07 AM »
The look pretty promising and it is unlikely there will be the quality control issues with casting that the metals suffer from in my experience.

Edit to clarify that I mostly mean the Barons War metal horses.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 09:17:28 AM by westwaller »

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2024, 06:19:03 AM »
To be fair, if you view the photos of the sprues on their website, it looks like they have attempted to show fullers on at least some of the sword blades, although weirdly, it seems to show as a hollow on one side and then a rise on the other.

I looked at the website and they look flat to me, I didn't notice a fuller at all. And they stole my Grandma's dresser drawer handle for those pommels, they're just awful. It really bugs me because I think they're otherwise nice miniatures. How hard is it to just do a wheel pommel...? I'm always curious how they do their research for miniatures that are supposed to be historical but miss the mark so hard.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2024, 07:49:02 AM »
These are the first of 5+ sets but no info on what the others will be as yet

Great news indeed if some aren't 3D files (yep, I'm a luddite and know not how to operate one of those new fangles contraptions!  o_o )

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2024, 08:14:52 AM »
I looked at the website and they look flat to me, I didn't notice a fuller at all. And they stole my Grandma's dresser drawer handle for those pommels, they're just awful. It really bugs me because I think they're otherwise nice miniatures. How hard is it to just do a wheel pommel...? I'm always curious how they do their research for miniatures that are supposed to be historical but miss the mark so hard.

It's a question that can be asked of a number of plastic manufacturers.

Rubicon seem to like Wikipedia or possibly Baidu Baike, however dubious a source either may be at times. I could probably rant forever about their forthcoming Vietnam era Australians.

Wargames Atlantic seem to prefer a bloke whose cousin once used Wikipedia. Alas, he was doing so at an internet café, had limited time and the printer wasn't working. Presumably that's how you get WW1 Tommies with 'H' strap webbing and Bren gunners painfully placing their hand over the ejection port of the Bren.

Warlord Games just go straight to the source and use Commando and War Picture Library comics.  Physiognomy aside, it mostly seems to have worked for them.

:)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 09:40:45 AM »
they stole my Grandma's dresser drawer handle for those pommels, they're just awful. It really bugs me because I think they're otherwise nice miniatures. How hard is it to just do a wheel pommel...? I'm always curious how they do their research for miniatures that are supposed to be historical but miss the mark so hard.

I'm guessing that it's a consequence of wanting them to cover a fairly long period. The Wheel pommel wouldn't sit right for the earlier period they cover (and are actually most suitable) but the compromise seems to be a kind of Brazil nut/Tea cosy hybrid by the look of things. The Falchion does look like it has a disc pommel though. I think not painting them bright gold probably helps them not look like draw handles too!
I think overall it looks quite a good kit with some good weapon and helmet options.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 01:17:45 PM »
Great news indeed if some aren't 3D files (yep, I'm a luddite and know not how to operate one of those new fangles contraptions!  o_o )

Andy mentioned over on Facebook that the other sets are Mounted Knights, Mounted Sergeants, Sergeants on foot and Levy. It seems missile troops will follow. All plastic kits.

I’m certainly looking forward to seeing the sergeants and I would imagine a lot of people would find the levy useful figures.

Wargames Atlantic have mentioned digital but I think it more likely to be additions to the plastic kits. Maybe specific head sets or something.

Steve

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 01:46:37 PM »

Their 'research' appears to be limited to the colour plates of Osprey booklets. The odd one is then translated into digital sculpts. No plain copy because there's always some – mostly unnecessary – interpretation involved. This latest set seems very much … inspired by "Medieval English Knight 1200–1300" plate A and some bits from plate B, showing guys and gear from "1210" and "c. 1250". I reckon they only compare these given dates to their intended time frame, and if there's a match they start the process.
A prime example being WA's "Late Roman Legionaries" which are very closely modelled after Angus McBride's painting (in "Imperial Roman Legionary AD 161–284") of a soldier labelled "mid to late 3rd century AD". Of course, they thought this representative for a set to cover the period "284 to 476". Unfortunately, Roman equipment and fashion of the 3rd century was quite distinctive and underwent some serious changes around 300 CE. Mind you, us 3rd century buffs got the unexpected gift of a plastic kit dedicated to 'our' favourite but somewhat neglected period  :D

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2024, 09:03:10 AM »
I think overall it looks quite a good kit with some good weapon and helmet options.
Agreed! I’ll probably pick some up for Lion Rampant, they might not be perfect but I think they’ll do nicely :)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 10:57:25 AM »
I like the kit as a base for conversions with an ever growing bits box.  lol

I can't comment on the accuracy of it too much.

I do agree with what others have said that WGA creates a good few sets for different periods.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2024, 04:14:21 PM »
With this and the Victrix range, the next couple years Medieval will be the flavor for wargaming.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Sleepy Snoozy Skeletons

• Bookworm
  • Where's my coffee?
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2024, 04:37:01 PM »
I like the kit as a base for conversions with an ever growing bits box.  lol

Same here :D Their kits have been amazing for that and I hope they'll mix with the kits coming from Victrix.
My WIP Thread

Instruments of destruction
Tools of foul play
It's a vile interruption
Existence drifts away