Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 08:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692880
  • Total Topics: 118494
  • Online Today: 679
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Pass at Al'am Hayfa  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
The Pass at Al'am Hayfa
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
The fourth game in our Chain of Command campaign is now complete.  An interesting game which was one of those games that only a campaign can produce.  This was a solo effort with some input from my opponent who was unable to attend in person but still provided me with the bones of a plan and only let me know his support choices once the game had begun.  The joy of texts!

You can read about it here:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=2328

Building a mosque today for the next game.  Slowly my desert terrain collection is growing. 

Rich

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
Re: The Pass at Al'am Hayfa
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »
 Great show Rich thank you for sharing!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
Outstanding Rich!

I am waiting impatiently now for my copy of Chain of Command... lol
The following are the details of your order.

Order Number: 18997
Date Ordered: Thursday 19 December, 2013
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Hi Grant

Sadly you missed the Christmas post to Canada.  I have checked and the parcel has gone in the post Christmas van load.  We don't post in between Christmas and New Year as they just get lost.  Twelve years experience has me firmly convinced that the collections are made as normal but most of the post gets chucked in the corner until after the hols and then sits there as a backlog.  It then is actually slower to be delivered than anything posted on the 2nd of January.  So, we posted it on the 2nd of January.

Drop me a PM with your email address.  I'll send you a small New Years gift keep you busy until the rules arrive.

Cheers

Rich

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
Cheers Rich, PM sent  :D

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
I am curious... what's the set up and clean up time for the sandpit table? Such a great idea!

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
Gibby

Well, it isn't a "Real" sand table.  It was originally built to house 24" terrain tiles by TSS so it has a lip around the outside.  I can then use all sorts of materials to form the basic hills (I tend to use off-cuts of very thin carpet), on top of that I put a blanket which smooths the edges of the terrain and then a sheet dyed appropriately to a sand colour.  On top of that I use a sieve to sprinkle the sand.  I use Sharp Sand which has lots of small stones in so they get caught by the sieve and I use them for areas of broken ground. 

Clearing up is literally a case of removing what little terrain there is, then grabbing the four corners of the sheet, getting the sand piled up in the middle and then dumping the lot in the bin which houses the sand.  I then carefully remove the sheet.  It takes about ten minutes to set up and two minutes to clear up. 

Rich

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »
Gibby

Well, it isn't a "Real" sand table.  It was originally built to house 24" terrain tiles by TSS so it has a lip around the outside.  I can then use all sorts of materials to form the basic hills (I tend to use off-cuts of very thin carpet), on top of that I put a blanket which smooths the edges of the terrain and then a sheet dyed appropriately to a sand colour.  On top of that I use a sieve to sprinkle the sand.  I use Sharp Sand which has lots of small stones in so they get caught by the sieve and I use them for areas of broken ground. 

Clearing up is literally a case of removing what little terrain there is, then grabbing the four corners of the sheet, getting the sand piled up in the middle and then dumping the lot in the bin which houses the sand.  I then carefully remove the sheet.  It takes about ten minutes to set up and two minutes to clear up.
Rich
What an excellent idea. The photos look very nice and from your describtion it seems easy and without much mess. I have been thinking about this kind of set up for sometime now.....a scratch build gaming table with natural materials like small plants that represent bush and tree. But since i want a jungle it takes a bit more constructing and stuff.....so i think. The thing to start with is a nice size table with a lip around it. Indeed.  8)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
Legion

Honestly, my wife would kill me if it involved mess!  The great thing about the desert is that all the sand fits in one plastic box, and the minimalist terrain in another.  Much more user friendly than Normandy which is boxes and boxes of hedgerow! 

I am very lucky to have the space and the table.  One of the few perks of being a professional wargamer is that I can honestly claim to need a permanent, purpose built table.   :D

Rich

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:47:55 PM »
Lovely work Rich all round. Simple but very effective.

Cheers,

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Grey Panda

• Librarian
    • War In Black & White
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »
Beautiful setup Rich...brilliant idea too...makes me want to buy some rats! Looking forward to the campaign supplement coming out. 

Thanks for posting...by the way for those out there who have not bought these rules yet ...do now...they are just brilliant...best games I've ever played using any rules...

John
“The most colorful thing in the world is black and white, it contains all colors and at the same time excludes all.”

http://warpanda.blogspot.ca