Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fight or Flight alternate combat rule  (Read 1338 times)

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
Fight or Flight alternate combat rule
« on: October 05, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »
I was watching some of the excellent battle reports by Ash/Achilles and noticed they often make use of the fact that you don't have to do anything with an activating model even if they are in combat, so you can basically just skip the turn of any model likely to lose a fight.

I think this is kind of weird so thought up this alternate rule: Any model that begins its activation in combat must take at least one of their actions either by fighting or retreating. A retreating model does combat as normal but with a hefty (maybe +4 or 5?) bonus, however if they win the combat they cause no damage or knock back. The retreating model may then move away at half speed.

Anyone have thoughts? Am I the only one who doesn't like the current version?

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: Fight or Flight alternate combat rule
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »
I like the idea - this has been something that has confused a couple of players here.

I think I'd say that the "retreating model" can push themselves away, and then if they have a second action (not always the case) they make take a Move "as if it was their 2nd Move action" (which might be what you meant) - with the wording you have in your post a model can make their full move (for example 9" for a normal model) away if they win the fight.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 01:41:34 AM »
I had intended it to count as a move action, here's an attempt to write it up in the rulebook style.

Optional Rule: Fight or Flight
Any figure which begins its activation in combat must perform at least one action, either fighting, or making a special retreat movement.

To retreat the figure makes a regular opposed roll against the figure it's in combat with (if in combat with multiple enemies use whichever has the highest Fight stat). All normal fighting modifiers apply to this roll and the retreating figure receives an additional +5 modifier. If the retreating figure wins it does not cause any damage or push back but may immediately move away from combat at half its movement rate. This is a normal movement action with respect to all rules and modifiers except that the figure(s) being retreated from may not force combat. If the retreating figure loses the roll they take damage as from a normal fight action and may not move out of combat. In case of a tie the retreating figure takes damage but may then move away if they survive.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:18:06 AM »
That still allows the model to make a half move with its 2nd activation, meaning a total of a full move,which to me seems to far.

Offline Ulli

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
So if that is a "you have to do this", than I would just drop your option (big malus, only half move distance) and simply fight to normal conditions.
No fighting penalty, no movement reduction.
Just win the fight, push back one of the figures and move.

So your rule could be: if you are in melee, one of your actions must be a mekee fight.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »
If you're in combat, you have to fight - that's how we like to play it :D
I can see the attraction of being able to escape combat, but the real challenge is avoiding combat in the first place!

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »
No fighting penalty, no movement reduction.

ecurtz's idea has no penalty to fight, it has a bonus.

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
That still allows the model to make a half move with its 2nd activation, meaning a total of a full move,which to me seems to far.
An equivalent model could still move back into contact and attack on their next activation, but you might be right. Maybe a retreat action takes you entire activation, like certain spells? Then you couldn't retreat and shoot either.

If you're in combat, you have to fight - that's how we like to play it :D
That's certainly a simpler solution to the "problem", but I do like the idea of there being some non-magical way to escape combat if you're overmatched.

So if that is a "you have to do this", than I would just drop your option (big malus, only half move distance) and simply fight to normal conditions.
Darkson71 is right. My suggestion gives a large bonus to the fight roll, at the expense of any chance to harm your opponent.

Offline Ulli

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 07:48:13 PM »
Ah. Sorry. I've misread it.