Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:37:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694004
  • Total Topics: 118578
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Civilians......Why?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline DoctorDuckButter

• Bookworm
Civilians......Why?
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
I've been reading the rules, besides being very low on points, why would you take a civilian?

They don't see to be high on the cost-benefit level compared to agents. Agents get 1 common weapon, plus a 1 point weapon, and one skill, plus their stats are higher. They also do not die as easily. All for one extra point, seems like a bargain.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:51:33 PM by DoctorDuckButter »

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
Re: Civilians......Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »
In theory, I was thinking you hide them somewhere and get another die for map piece!
So they die and you can reequip almost every game!

I've tried running a cult in VUK with 8 miniatures (one command) versus my brother's 5 (2 commands, all could activate). It didn't work well. :D

So, too many miniatures dont work too well. Maybe a char, 2 agents (one lieutenant), civilian. Gives you 5 points for equipment and you can activate them all.

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »
Increasing the number of models in your Threshold force can also limit your opponent's ability to field large nasty monsters, at least in scenarios where the Lurker player is required to have more models than Threshold.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »
I actually had a civilian who seemed nearly unkillable. He lasted through everything and helped me win more than a single game. Give them a few .22 pistol and use them as ranged support. Keep them out of close combat, and as already mentioned, they can gain you map pieces, or allow re-equips if you use them for fodder. Cruel, but then, so are the Ancient Ones.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »
I've been reading the rules, besides being very low on points, why would you take a civilian?

"Asps....very dangerous....you go first." ~ Sallah

I always try to put one Civvy in my list primarily so I can get him killed, which allows me to re-equip, thus allowing me to engage the enemy with larger builds on subsequent games.

That, and like the noble Red Shirts, they are truly expendable.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »
Increasing the number of models in your Threshold force can also limit your opponent's ability to field large nasty monsters, at least in scenarios where the Lurker player is required to have more models than Threshold.

yea, I had a laugh with this team idea:
Chracter
Agent+Civ
Agent+Civ
Agent+Civ

character takes Improved command, Agents takes the Lt skil...leaves you 1 point for something...runs 7 models, so if you win a mission you get a good amount of map rolls and as said before, it limits the Lurker if limited in team design of their team must be +1 larger. So, imagine trying to build a Lurker team of say 20 points with a required 8 models!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
I like the ranged support idea for pretty cheap. "Quantity is a quality of its own" kind of thing. The extra chances for map pieces is something I did not think about either. I believe I will now requisition these ideas for my own lists... :D.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »

Sneaky :) I like it!
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:57:26 AM »
There are several good reasons to use Civilians:

1. There give variation and are quite nice as cannon fodder. Strange Aeons are a fun little game, analysing every little aspect and point value of the game for "WIN"ning can ruin the fun.

2. They are a cheap way to get map piece rolls. and when they die re-equip.

3. For the fun of the story in the game. When we play it all about making funny names for the cultists and laughing at funny situation (deaths). Quite funny to have a civilian who somehow survives against all the odds.

PS: could be cool if you could upgrade a Civilian to an Agent if he survives like 10 games. Effectively just giving him access to more then 2 skills totally.
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:51 AM »
As wel as all the reasons listed above, another excellent use for Civilians is for the more mundane tasks in the game like searching or lugging crates.
This leaves your more valuable Agents available for the important things, like killing Lurkers.

I also agree with the comments about having a bit of fun in games, and Civilians and their aliases are a part of that, at least in our games.
One of our players has just hired a Civilian with a Meat Cleaver, and is using a butcher miniature.
Great!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
You guys are brill. I had never thought about the map piece aspect. That's quite clever.

Me, I've always used them as forward operators to force enemies to expend turns chasing them down/shooting them while I bring in the big guns.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »
So they die and you can reequip almost every game!

I always try to put one Civvy in my list primarily so I can get him killed

There give variation and are quite nice as cannon fodder.

Gentlemen, you shouldn't discuss your strategies anywhere near the recruitment office.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »
Right, mate. We'll wait until after the election. Half the country will be ready to die once the winner's determined if Facebook posts are any indication!

Then...adverts for cannon fodder are going EVERYWHERE!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
Right, mate. We'll wait until after the election. Half the country will be ready to die once the winner's determined if Facebook posts are any indication!

Then...adverts for cannon fodder are going EVERYWHERE!

I am still thinking of writing in Cthulu for President, why pick the lesser of two evils?

Offline DoctorDuckButter

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
I guess the best idea is keep the Civilians cheap and plentiful? That way, to paraphrase Ivan Drago, "If they die, they die."