Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:16:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691995
  • Total Topics: 118430
  • Online Today: 696
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Crossbow limb colours.  (Read 7075 times)

Offline katie

• Scientist
Crossbow limb colours.
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »

I'm painting up a batch of Perry WotR figures and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the crossbow limbs.

The limbs are lashed which I initially thought limited them to being wooden, but I've since found pictures of steel crossbows with lashed limbs, which were expensive but in use in the mid-1400s. And since these chaps are mercenaries it would make sense they'd invest in good kit.

On the other hand, I've never seen the Perry figures painted up with metal crossbow limbs...

And I don't actually know what colour to paint composite ones -- although I've seen pictures of modern reproduction composites with leather coverings over the limbs.

Offline Percal

• Bookworm
Re: Crossbow limb colours.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
If it helps, I paint them in the same wooden color as the "body" of the crossbow. Looks good enough for me, and fastens my process a bit.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
The more powerful steel bows, were usually 'russeted' or 'blued' when made, which gives either a rust-coloured or dark grey finish to the bare metal and which protects the metal in a minimal way against corrosion. Scouring rusty areas with sand would give a mix of 'shiny' steel areas and dull grey or brown areas.

Because the limbs would flex in use, I would imagine painting them was not an option, but perhaps greasing or oiling them and fitting leather sheaves over them would protect them from the elements.

Sorry I can't  offer more and I'm not 100% about that.  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »
Sheathing them in leather when not in action makes sense to me and so 'blued' metal when in use would be the way to go.

I'm lazy though and will paint them brown  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:43:10 AM »
Sheathing them in leather when not in action makes sense to me

Actually, I'm not sure. If water becomes trapped in the sheath, metal will rust like crazy. Even oiled leather will likely let water in from the openings and maybe seams.

The crossbow arms are likely to be same color as the weapons and armor in general and similar techniques will be used to combat rust. Whether it's polished or blued, it will still be regularly cleaned, dried and oiled.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
I have read (who knows where?) that sword scabbards were lined with sheepskin, fleece side to blade, so that the natural Lanolin could protect the blade. It would make sense to use the same system to protect the steel crossbow limbs. The sheepskin cover could be dyed or left au naturel as per any leather item.
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
I think I would probably just paint them wood. That is, by far, the most common thing they were made of anyway.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
The more powerful steel bows, were usually 'russeted' or 'blued' when made, which gives either a rust-coloured or dark grey finish to the bare metal and which protects the metal in a minimal way against corrosion. Scouring rusty areas with sand would give a mix of 'shiny' steel areas and dull grey or brown areas.

With the 'older' style bows the 'wood' of the limbs would be made of a composite of sinew, bone and wood so would not appear exactly the same colour as the wood of the crossbow as such. whether this translates down to say 28mm, I 'm not too sure I'd be worried about. The only real significant factor concerning hue would be whether the bow was made of metal or not.

Because the limbs would flex in use, I would imagine painting them was not an option, but perhaps greasing or oiling them and fitting leather sheaves over them would protect them from the elements.

a covering would be an essential piece of kit not just to protect the limb but to ensure that the bow strings remained free from moisture as much as possible.

Darrell.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »
I recall reading about crossbows whose bow arms were compound, with an outermost layer of parchment. In such a case they could be quite pale, or perhaps even stained different colours.

Ah, found the reference, in Norman & Pottinger's "English Weapons and Warfare, 449-1660" - I read the hell out of this book about twenty years ago, it took the library nearly two years to get it back off me.

"The bow was often made of long strips of horn stuck together like plywood and covered with parchment, forming a particularly powerful and springy bow."
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
Go with metal unless you want to make some poor farmer militia who couldn't afford the steel limbs.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
Heh -- well, this particular batch are supposed to be mercenaries so they'd probably buy themselves good kit :-)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »
I tend to do mine a white metal, exaggerating their metal-ness, with a few covered in 'something' because i've seen others done / shown that way. works for me. These are Front Rank WoR painted for the Italian Wars, so excuse the added turbans.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
So the consensus is 'any colour you like'.  lol

I came across a mention of Thomas Howard buying eight crossbows for Richard III, of which only one of them was steel. I've no idea whether they were for the personal use of the King, or they were meant 'for the King's service' (crossbows were allowed instead of bows until the 16th Century and were specified for 'forest dwellers' - presumably because archers in forest were clearly up to no good). So into the 1480s wood or composite crossbows were still apparently more common, as far as that source goes.

Nice work on those figures btw Olicana.  :) 

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
It could also be because longbows are difficult to use in areas with low branches. There is a Paston letter (wife to husband) which requests the acquisition of crossbows and hand-guns for use in defending their manor house - presumably long bows were too big for indoor work too. It doesn't mention what kind of crossbows, but does ask they should come with 'wyndacs' [windlass] so I presume they would be steel.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »
Also a longbow is a very specialized weapon. It takes a lot of practice to be able to use one. And even then it is very hard to be lethal with it.
The crossbow however you could hand it to a child at the child would be lethal with it. Everyone can point and click with a crossbow.

But i fear we are drifting off topic..