Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 05:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694383
  • Total Topics: 118603
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WotR WIP - unit of light cavalry added (21/1/13)  (Read 63830 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: WotR WIP - livery colour
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:28 PM »
Cumbria was made up from Lancashire, Westmorland and Cumberland which makes it even more confusing  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Welf VIII.

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
At least the contemporary writer of the ballad "Rose of Rouen" celebrated the bloodbath of Towton as victory of the South over the North.

Let's not forget the Yorkists also had support from the middle and upper classes of the trading cities and also those fed up with the corrupt and incompetent government which had tormented England during the reign of Henry VI and lost the war against France.

Richard of York and his Warwick allies had some power base in the North as well, but only Richard of Gloucester gained major support and sympathy in the North.

The conception of Yorkshire vs. Lancashire and the name War of the Roses is more a thing which was made up by Walter Scott.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
Isn't Richmond (the real one not the southern pretender  :D ) castle actually Henry's, So that's the house of Lancaster in Yorkshire  ::)

Are you a pretender if you neither know or care than they may be other places called Richmond?   lol lol lol

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »

Richard of York and his Warwick allies had some power base in the North as well, but only Richard of Gloucester gained major support and sympathy in the North.

Richard of York had a castle at Middleham which is about 10 miles away from Richmond!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »
Most of the big families had estates all over the place, but generally had areas where they had a lot of 'influence'. The Percy-Neville dispute, which pretty much shaped the WotR, was the result of an established family's (Percy) influence in an area being challenged by a nouveau-riche and up-and-coming family (Neville). This was a common theme and accounts for the polarity... if your 'competition' for power within an area joined 'A', you had to join 'B', or you would be 'outgunned' politically at a local level and local level politics, rivalries and family feuds were what fuelled the wars.

When you look at the campaigns, it's not hard to see where these power bases lay. The starting points for the various nobles are where they were recruiting their forces and gathering their supporters. Where they withdrew to when things went pear-shaped, are also usually the same areas. It would be wrong to take a map of England, get your crayons out and start marking off areas as Lancastrian or Yorkist, it was far more complicated than that. One of the key features of the mini-campaigns that formed the wars, was to stop your enemies joining up from their geographically fragmented recruiting grounds.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »
...if your 'competition' for power within an area joined 'A', you had to join 'B', or you would be 'outgunned' politically at a local level and local level politics, rivalries and family feuds were what fuelled the wars.

Sounds just like life in the company I work for...  ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Sounds just like life in the company I work for...  ;)

It's not  bad analogy. In any company you have your executives who strive to build little empires for themselves and to 'network' underlings and other managers, who may or may not have something to gain by working with you. You have your backstabbers and fair-weather friends of course, along with those who will never be onside, no matter what you do.

The WotR was not a civil war, but a boardroom tussle amongst the management of England PLC, following the mis-management and hostile takeover of its subsidiary, France.

;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »
It was endemic to English society as a whole, right down to the bottom layers... even guild members relied on the support of 'better men'. We're talking rigged ballots for local bodies, preferential treatment for 'local government' posts, packed juries, the whole caboodle. Al Capone would have thought all his Sundays had come at once if he was around in 15th Century England.

The pay off for this support was of course that you turned up with weapons and kit when called and as stipulated in the contract (Indenture) you had previously agreed with them in return for their 'favour'. Nobles and gentry all had 'affinities' of people who were contracted to them, owed them favours, or who had married into the family in some way, or a myriad other reasons. Armies were formed from layer upon layer of these affinities, with some quite complex and convoluted relationships within them.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:51 AM »

The WotR was not a civil war, but a boardroom tussle amongst the management of England PLC, following the mis-management and hostile takeover of its subsidiary, France.

Nice  8)

One is tempted to ask who played the part of McKinseys...  ::)
(Martin Schwartz perhaps?  ;))

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 10:20:05 AM »
No Schwartz headed the 15th Century equivalent of Blackwater, PMCs are not that new an innovation and were extremely numerous in 15th Century Europe. Corporate hospitality and PR for them has come on a bit though.

;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:12 AM »
lol

Offline Nighthawk

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
I love the look of these models. :-* I am working on a batch of them myself right now. Hmm but I can't get the depth of the model as nice as yours. Do you mind if I ask you a question? Did you use the Army Builder dip? If you did. How did you use it? What I mean is did you dip the model or just paint it on? I have used it on a number of models. But they all come out... well darker and to heavy with the dip. :?Should I be painting it on or dipping them?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »
Great stuff Steve. ;D

I think you were robbed in the first round. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
I think you've done a great job. I'd be proud to have them in my collection!  :)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 04:33:19 PM »
Yep, extremely nice figures.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/