Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:53:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter Wreaks Wild (wip): UD 2/11 Further Adventures of the Caping Crusader  (Read 97221 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Wild Winter (wip)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
Steve, you are such an iconoclast! Why couldn't you just do Game of Thrones like the rest of us?!  lol

Captain B: I'm not sure if this one belongs in Fantasy or in Medieval... It's Dark Ages/Medieval derived but is imagi-nation rather than historical.  As there is no magic or other such dark arts I've plumped for the medieval board ...... Happy to be corrected  :D

Another winter project that I have on the go, provisionally entitled Wild Winter.  It's sort of a pulp-Arthurian re-imagination of late Dark Ages to Late Medieval history, set 'in the north'.  It is otherwise a fantasy and magic-free zone!

In that case, I think Medieval Adventures is a perfectly good home :)

(I'm warning you though - first sign of an orc or elf, and it's off to la-la land...  ;))

I like the sculpts by the way. Interested to see the finished product...

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

(I'm warning you though - first sign of an orc or elf, and it's off to la-la land...  ;))

lol
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Well thank you all  :D

Agneta Eckemyr...., sigh. Why in 1972 so many dads left mum at home to take their sons to see AIATTOTW!

See the pulp-Viking in the bottom left of Mark's (Dr De'ath) movie poster. No horned helmets for my chaps though, metal will suck the life out of you in the snow (and thus they won't have metal armour, relying on strength, guile, courage, etc for the upper hand).

Yes, there will be rules but not for some time yet.  I had considered Saga but am not taken with the requirement that units must comprise troops that are similarly equipped.  No idea what the rules will be like or even if they'll be my own but they must allow for unit and solo fighting and reflect the different mentalities, capabilities and equipment of the two factions. If I write them I will of course chuck a free PDF in the store.

And yes Andy... Much green stuff is being sacrificed to the cause  :D. It's a good job it can be bought in bulk!  :D

And Richard the warning about orks, elves, faeries, trolls, goblins and whatever is a fair one: I am determined not to succumb!  lol

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
Steve, you are such an iconoclast!

I was going to look up the meaning of iconoclast but I don't have time for dictionary compilers, telling us what words mean, who are they to impose their definitions on us?!

lol

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
Wow, I'm going to enjoy watching this one Steve! :D

Cheers
Matt

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
I was going to look up the meaning of iconoclast but I don't have time for dictionary compilers, telling us what words mean, who are they to impose their definitions on us?!

lol

Indeed. A smasher of orthodoxies through and through  ;)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »
You clearly didn't have enough to occupy you with your castle building, SSS sculpting, 2nd Boer War table and figures and running a business! Meanwhile I struggle to paint 5 figures for my LPL entry  lol

More top work mate.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »
You clearly didn't have enough to occupy you with your castle building, SSS sculpting, 2nd Boer War table and figures and running a business! Meanwhile I struggle to paint 5 figures for my LPL entry  lol

More top work mate.

:D

There are also four other projects that I am determined to progress (and a couple being sold off)  ;)

So I read the IMDB review of The Eagle - most interesting - and popped out to my local 24 hour supermarket to make the purchase .... £3 for the DVD.  Yay.

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
Any chance you might be able to do up a few fur cloaks, with which you could convert regular medieval troops into more wintery troops?  ;)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »
I expect so Matt, though not until I start on the medievals, as it'll be a matter of making the masters for the cloaks as I assemble parts from the various plastic sets.

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:11 AM »
I expect so Matt, though not until I start on the medievals, as it'll be a matter of making the masters for the cloaks as I assemble parts from the various plastic sets.
In case it makes a difference: I would absolutely buy sets of resin cloaks designed to fit over GB and/or WGF plastic dark ages figures. It's a big thing missing from all of those kits, IMHO. That goes for fabric and/or fur cloaks.

- H8

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 06:06:46 AM »
A quasi-medieval freezing wintery land? Sounds like home  :D

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 06:21:02 AM »
Looks cool!!!  ;D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Thanks guys  :)

Regarding the cloaks, metal will be too heavy for adding to plastic figures.  Resin I'm not too keen on as I don't cast with it myself (which raises costs) but I'll look into it and perhaps styrene as well.  And yes, woollen as well as fur cloaks: I see my pulp-Arthurians in mostly wool.

Btw, I have been making some progress with the four minis. It would be a lot easier to make them not-multipart but I do think the effort will be worthwhile.  The sculpting process is a bit fiddly as with the arms and torsos roughed out, I have finalised a single torso, fitted all sets of four arms to it, and now have to fit the other three torsos to the sets of arms.  On the up side, the second pack will be a heck of a lot easier as I'll be starting with joins that already match.

Oh, and I watched The Eagle, which I enjoyed (apart from the last couple of minutes or so of 'buddy movie' ending).

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
I cant remember the ending,but the seal people are brilliant.