Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 04:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692170
  • Total Topics: 118446
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Reaper Kickstarter  (Read 80626 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Reaper Kickstarter
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
I cannot address the material. We prefer the softer plastic, because of the sheer number of models we have by other companies that have been dropped during a game and broken, and with the harder plastics, once bent or broken, never quite looks correct again.  That is our personal preference, and why we chose that route for our product.

Once again, I think that the material they use is fine. It's kind of halfway between hard plastic and the soft one used by ESCI for example. And, as I said earlier, they do paint up nicely...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41668.msg519122#msg519122

Just scroll down the page until you see a large blue Cave Troll ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
Any chance of some big monsters being available to anyone who has pledged? eg. $1 level can then buy a big dragon or something?  :)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
Any chance of some big monsters being available to anyone who has pledged? eg. $1 level can then buy a big dragon or something?  :)

Check out the new FAQ here; http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min/posts

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
I'm meaning more like the Orc deal they already have going and the paints which I'm already getting. I have about half of the vampire level minis in glorious white metal and don't see the need in getting more in plastic especially when they are more heroic type characters you would only need one of. I want some of those giants but will have to wait for them to be released rather than purchasing them through the bones as I won't up my pledge :)

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:16 AM »

I cannot address the material. We prefer the softer plastic, because of the sheer number of models we have by other companies that have been dropped during a game and broken, and with the harder plastics, once bent or broken, never quite looks correct again.  That is our personal preference, and why we chose that route for our product. 

I did a review of the Bones line on my blog. To sum it up, I threw it 20+ feet without damage, painted it without primer, and was able to bend limbs to ease painting without damage. At the price point, this stuff is great, especially if you have kids that like to hobby with you.

Offline Reaperbryan

• Schoolboy
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 02:57:16 AM »
Any chance of some big monsters being available to anyone who has pledged? eg. $1 level can then buy a big dragon or something?  :)
We are working on a solution for that.  It may not be ready until closer to project close.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
Sounds good. even if it's a few dollars more than for the vampire or undertaker levels. I'm sure it would bump up sales, especially at the end. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
Look like there’s going to be some Chronoscope figures somewhere down the line ;)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min/posts

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 06:06:01 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline ryoden

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 06:13:30 AM »
There are import duties charged on items shipped overseas. This is a matter of English law, not Reaper's.  Why are you mad at us for this, again?

I am not mad at Reaper for the charges, the fact that i was initially unaware of the charges previously was my fault; at the time I was after a few figs but saw that reaper were offering free P&P worldwide if you spent £30 or more hence I upped my purchase and it was rather annoying to find that a significant extra £16 approx charge was dumped on top but as I said not Reapers fault as i should have read your small print more carefully.
I mentioned it in case others in UK were unaware of the issue.  The vampire level would cost approx £15.93 in tax plus £8 "handling fee" from royal mail if they know about it in advance from what I read.

My comparison with the Sedition kickstarter was that they took this fact into consideration and included the tax issue within their P&P charge (also $25 the same as your P&P amount), which takes the worry out of the equation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:35:52 AM by ryoden »
The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
Every Once in a While? please count the stretch goals by level.  More than 50% of the levels have added FREE items -- 9 out of our currently announced 16 Stretch goals, in fact. That's not every once in a while.   In 16 stretch goals we have almost DOUBLED the original pledge package, and I can personally guarantee you that there will continue to be free addons every other level and more for the remainder of the project.  MOSTLY add-in options?  Yes, we have a lot of those, but the options are OPTIONAL, which means that the basic $100 package is STILL almost doubled in size even if you don't get them. Don't want em, that's fine, you don't have to.  Not like a few other Kickstarters I've seen that are board games, where if you don't shell out the extra $35 you now no longer have the complete game.  Not only that, I've got no single figures for $35, like some other projects had.  Everything we're offering is $15 or less - and those get you multiples!  Apparently there's no pleasing.  And ok, sure, like I said, we have a lot of Optional buy ins.  But this is a FUNDRAISING DRIVE.  It's not a yard Sale or a junk shop.  We are trying to raise the funds to pay for these molds and tooling, along with production and shipping (and you really think $25USD will cover shipping for an individual who buys everything?) If $15 for two dragons is too much, I completely understand.

I'm sorry for my rudeness, but It's hard to not get upset when I'm seeing things that are just patently untrue (every once in a while? 9/16 is every once in a while????). 

Every once in a while was more a figure of speech, sorry if I upset you with that.  I am aware that you keep bumping up the figures included in the basic level, which does make it a better deal over time.  But you are also taking folk's money and then they have to wait for the new models to be produced/molded so that's why people always demand better deals in general.

re: Mantic's KS: 1) We're not them, we have our own project, and we're currently (as I post this) $1000 less than they raised, and have 600 more backers than they had, and we still have 15 days to go before the end..  I'm afraid that the numbers suggest our model is at least "adequate".  Also, we have no "end game".  I have enough stretch goals planned out to carry us to over 4 Million raised - and we don;t expect to clear more than the $700k-1.1 million that Kicktraq is predicting.  But we're ready for anything.  I cannot create a pledge level that includes all future stretch goal items for a fixed value, and have it look like a good deal on day one, while not costing me a more to fulfill than i raised on day 33 if we don't know where this will end.  If I only had 15 goals, sure, I could calculate that.  But right now, to get every model (not including the paint and cases) It's $100 for the Vampire level, +$55 for the buy ins.  I could say, sure, let's make the Level cost $150, it's a good value, and people will love it.  And then the next buy in comes along. And the next. If this goes to a million, there could be $40-50 more buy in models.  Now it's stupid not to take that level. and soon, my cost to fulfill your $150 pledge exceeds $150, and I lose a fortune because I raised a million.  Ok, so I bump that. It's a $200 level.  Still a slight savings, and you're getting everything.  Except that that's only a saving in 2 weeks, and even then only if we make a million.  If this ends at 600,00, it's clearly and overpriced choice.  See my dilemma?

I can understand this, and make no claim that I am well informed on the financial aspects of your company or the costs of this venture.  I don't expect you to be Mantic, but was merely pointing out what I liked about their project.  I can see how it would be easier for them to give out more 'free models' since their goals were to mass produce units of the same figures rather than multiple unique miniatures.

I can't really fault your for your choice of material, but as the consumer I will let that dictate my preference.  I know many many people seem to like it, so that is good for them and good for you.

And yeah, I know I'm not making friends with this post.  I'm grumpy in the mornings.

Folks here tend to be an understanding bunch, and mornings are always a hassle.  I am enjoying watching your success, but would not have been joining in your campaign regardless of anything you had or hadn't posted.  Mostly because of my unpainted mountain and that I don't have a direct use for most of the miniatures as the style and genre is different than my preferences.  lol
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 01:52:51 AM »
Has anyone here been familiar with Heroscape miniatuers?  Is that the sort of plastic that these will be made of?  Perhaps similar to the Dungeons and Dragons miniatures?

I was thinking of jumping in on this as the Vampire level gets a lot of miniatures, but I'm not sure with the type of bendy plastic mentioned.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »
Unfortunately it seems to be very difficult to get them overhere in Holland. There's is as far as i know no actual store that has them in it's inventory and only one one webshop where i order them. However from what i understood from the owner of the said webshop, not everything can be ordered, so my last order of about 12 miniatures was reduced significantly.

In an effort to solve my problem and perhaps that of many others here in the Olde World, i send Reaper an e-mail explaining the situation and asking what the possibilities are to become a retailer. The respons came, within a week, was helpfull as far as the starting up as a retailer was concerned but did not address the unsufficient availablillity of Reaper miniatures here in Europe.
As was already brought up, i too get the impression that Reaper is not really interested in customers outside of the North American continent and that realisation was partly, for me, a reason not to make a pledge.

As a fellow Dutchman I'll chime in.
Easiest way: order directly from Reaper Miniatures. I have done this before and it works very well. They offer free shipping when you order at least 35EUR and here in Holland customs rarely is an issue. I get international parcels almost on a weekly basis and for most of them I should pay custom fees...but I never have to do so. Never! Okay, I understand that is taking a chance as you may get charged. But customs here in Holland is extremely relaxed.

Other options are indeed Miniature Heroes, Miniaturicum or Battlefield Berlin. Three excellent webshops and they deliver fast at good rates. It may take a while before they have all the stock you want, but it works very well.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
Pity it's state-side as having been got by customs on all of my overseas purchases to date here in Denmark, I don't dare try. Now if the value added tax  was deducted in one country or the other, that'd be different. But as it stand it's just far to costly, especially when you order from good law abiding companies who state the correct price and contents.
Duncan
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:07:25 PM by dijit »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
Here in Spain large (physical size) or commercial goods marked for import used to get checked, smaller domestic packets did not. However the recent economic crisis has led to the introduction of new lower levels of "tax free" imports and everything is getting checked. It was seen as an obvious quick win for a cash strapped government.

The system is the same as the UK, goods are assessed based on content type and full value (INCLUDING the shipping cost) and if a tax is payable the Post Office collect it from the recipient with the ubiquitous extra "handling and administration" charges. Applies to post from all countries outside Europe.